Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 03:16 PM

304 posts, read 369,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You know, it is a two sided engagement. Consumers have to show some integrity and acumen to be deemed worthy of an agent's time.
LOL! Yeah all those poor agents who are out slaving away showing houses on a gorgeous day like today look forward to the day they can stay home and forego income, because they have reached such a state of career grandeur they can choose only the best of breed clients and tell the rest to get lost.

Thank you for the delusional C-D post of the year. Made my day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 03:26 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
LOL! Yeah all those poor agents who are out slaving away showing houses on a gorgeous day like today look forward to the day they can stay home and forego income, because they have reached such a state of career grandeur they can choose only the best of breed clients and tell the rest to get lost.

Thank you for the delusional C-D post of the year. Made my day!
Time with my wife is hugely preferable to time with people who would steal it and offer nothing but lies. "Income?" That is a significant risk, while costs are a financial and emotional fact.
No one wants to deal with people who lack an ethical or empathic foundation, whether they are agents or consumers. BTDT. It is not worth it.
I've been out with people who make me want to get home and shower after an hour. There is no amount of income that makes it worthwhile.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:35 PM

There's an old saying that a lousy salesman makes a great husband and vice versa, so who knows.

I'm fortunate when it comes to these vapid displays of poor reading comprehension (referring to the fact that I qualified my original post long ago) in the sense that in my line of work, forums like this are not a sales channel for new leads for me, so it could actually impact my career negatively by expressing my opinions on various subjects -- in other words it is to my benefit to remain anonymous. It doesn't mean I'm foolish enough to always speak my mind in situations where I represent my true identity in a professional context.

Old 03-08-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
There's an old saying that a lousy salesman makes a great husband and vice versa, so who knows.

I'm fortunate when it comes to these vapid displays of poor reading comprehension (referring to the fact that I qualified my original post long ago) in the sense that in my line of work, forums like this are not a sales channel for new leads for me, so it could actually impact my career negatively by expressing my opinions on various subjects -- in other words it is to my benefit to remain anonymous. It doesn't mean I'm foolish enough to always speak my mind in situations where I represent my true identity in a professional context.
We both experience good fortune on CD.
You get to mislead people and feed your ego in anonymity, without impact to your day job. Of course, it is an inconvenience when someone who is paying attention and actually knows the score interrupts.
I get to be honest and feel good about the posts I make, including being helpful and truthful to people, and I sometimes get to meet people from all walks of life who respect that approach to professional life and like to know where they stand.
Some people fear truth. Some people embrace truth.

Something for everyone! CD is an Equal Opportunity Enabler.

And, actually, you never admitted the errors in the attitudes in your OP when informed of your errors.
Not exactly great "qualification" of your post.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
And, actually, you never admitted the errors in the attitudes in your OP when informed of your errors.
Not exactly great "qualification" of your post.
Nothing about my post ever required qualification. I asserted that there are limits on what someone is willing to pay for an inspection because of a number of factors that limit the value of the inspection in the eyes (and bias) of the home buyer . Then some opinions came from realtors and home inspectors who decided to share their perspective based on their career bias. That's really all there ever was, except that since your time with your wife is more valuable to you than earning money with clients, I should feel especially honored that you spent so much of your afternoon arguing in this thread, placing time with me above both. I guess that's what's meant by "dubious honor"?

Old 03-08-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Nothing about my post ever required qualification. I asserted that there are limits on what someone is willing to pay for an inspection because of a number of factors that limit the value of the inspection in the eyes (and bias) of the home buyer . Then some opinions came from realtors and home inspectors who decided to share their perspective based on their career bias. That's really all there ever was, except that since your time with your wife is more valuable to you than earning money with clients, I should feel especially honored that you spent so much of your afternoon arguing in this thread, placing time with me above both. I guess that's what's meant by "dubious honor"?
I didn't spend as much time here as I did with and for multiple clients.
This stuff is pretty easy to post fairly quickly when one is knowledgeable on the topic and straightforward.
Regardless, I don't mind helping out.

A bit more help, proven true over centuries:
Word to the wise on marriage and values...
Time is worth more than money, once certain monetary needs are sufficiently met.
You can always make more money, or pursue more money. Making more time? That is a bit more difficult. That is why some wise folks think time is priceless.

No one's last words have ever been, "I wish I had spent more time at the office."

Old 03-08-2015, 05:37 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
When inspecting was a free-for-all 25 years ago, your points were more realistic, but the industry has significantly tightened up since the mid 90's.
Quote:
Not interested in debating this with someone who has the bias of being an inspector themselves. I was speaking from the perspective of the home buyer.

If you'll read my original post in thread, my point was only to explain why some folks do not want to pay an arm and a leg for a single inspection. It was not to vilify inspectors.
Oh, you mean, you don't want to debate with people who actually understand the inspecting profession very well as sacred, Mike, and myself do, instead of just throwing out opinions with no basis in fact like yourself? (Smh).

Old 03-08-2015, 05:51 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,173,683 times
Quote:

The "market" determines what an inspector (or anybody else) can charge for their services. If most client's felt that the service wasn't worth it, obviously the the price of inspections would drop. this has not the case, as prices are going up. You are certainly entitled to your personal bias, based on your own experiences, however, you haven't shared with us how you came to your point of view. Perhaps you are an expert that can enlighten us but quite frankly, you don't come across as someone with much direct experience in the processes. As a GC/builder and having owned a real estate company for many years, I've been on both sides of the equation many, many. many times. I've never seen an inspector in "cohoots" with an agent. It would be a violation of ethics and as such they would be subject to disciplinary action from their respective boards. In the end the market sorts out the good and bad.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Oh, you mean, you don't want to debate with people who actually understand the inspecting profession very well as sacred, Mike, and myself do, instead of just throwing out opinions with no basis in fact like yourself? (Smh).
Actually the fact that the OP thought the cost was high was plenty of fact to support my post. And no I don't care to debate something silly like that with people who have a built-in bias in favor of inspectors, especially if they are too daft to realize it. All opinions here are of equal value. Mike's is no better, nor is yours. Opinions are what they are.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
however, you haven't shared with us how you came to your point of view.
Actually yes I did. I posted plenty of support for my statements. Some folks will see what they want to see, ultimately (and unfortunately for them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate