Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 07:21 PM

687 posts, read 915,092 times

Advertisements

If they're pushy: RUN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2015, 07:29 PM

265 posts, read 404,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
It's not a stretch when 2 members of your family qualify and have a few other extended family/friend members. Only the problem when my brother was in college, it was considered nerdy or lack of social skills. Lack of chit chat - no dx code, no label. And this was well before "spectrum" was even a word. But that's okay, they don't have regrets, they laughed all the way to the bank. When the AMA (not that I have faith in them) say what is it now, 1 in 8 people, is it really a stretch? I've written extensively on my personal experience as a family knowing Asperger's Syndrome, in CD and other forums - each relationship is a treasure. (and if you ever don't want to hear the truth, don't ask). The press has taken it way too far and highlight only the extremes. And had the OP been there, chances are they would have appreciated someone noticed and would not been offended (it's not illogical to have truthful observations). And if the OP knows not what I am referring to, it's highly unlikely that applies here. But I will always throw out a lifeline, because that is what it really could have been, had I been right.
It most definitely is a stretch to infer and ask if some is autistic based on a short, one paragraph post on a public forum. When I read your post, I thought it was absolutely ludicrous. OP didn't mesh with the agent. Happens all the time. Based on his story, I (and a lot of buyers I know) would most likely would've found her annoying as well.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:34 PM

179 posts, read 268,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Wow, so the agents were pointing out things that were both positive and negative about the property trying to make sure you make a wise investment. Congratulations on finding someone who cares to protect their clients investment. They asking questions trying to make sure they understood your needs and if you liked the property? Congratulations on finding someone who attempts to save you time. They were trying to connect with you with questions? Great, you found an agent that cares about relationships with her clients.

It's a shame you couldn't properly communicate back. Maybe you should consider using them after all and be happy you have someone who appears to be looking out for your interest. Many people on here wish they could find that.
The agent we had when we bought this house kept pointing out every bad thing about it because she wanted us to buy another house where she was the listing agent. We almost didn't buy this house until we talked it over later and couldn't remember things about the house because she had been busy pointing out things.

We didn't find that trait helpful in the least.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:12 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,621,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott01 View Post
The agent we had when we bought this house kept pointing out every bad thing about it because she wanted us to buy another house where she was the listing agent. We almost didn't buy this house until we talked it over later and couldn't remember things about the house because she had been busy pointing out things.

We didn't find that trait helpful in the least.
My suggestion is to take a small notepad with you, write notes to yourself about the property and snap pictures of the important parts.

Old 03-15-2015, 06:46 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
My suggestion is to take a small notepad with you, write notes to yourself about the property and snap pictures of the important parts.
I would expect the listing agent to have copies of the MLS printout in the house for buyers and their agents.
I would also expect the buyers agent to provide a copy of the MLS printout to their clients, pretty much in order of the tour of the day.

That lets the client make notes directly on the flyer, and check off important items that are being marketed.
And, when viewing several properties, anticipate the next one and discuss it.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:32 AM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Actually, I think both you and Brandon have missed the point. The OP shouldn't have had to tell the agent more than once that she had ***zero*** interest in that house at any price. Repeated asking indicates either a hard sell or someone who is just not paying attention. Perhaps if the agent had been without her team member and their non work related conversations, she would have been more perceptive to the customer's comments.
Semantics, but the agent asked how much OP would pay and the response was $0. This happened 2 more times. (The response wasn't "I have zero interest.)

It appears the agent missed the cue and hence repeated the question. First comment, the agent should have followed up with "Why not?" Second comment, the OP could have told the agent why that house didn't work. IMO, it's a failure on both parties but probably a bigger failure by the OP on communication skills.

It's moot anyway. OP, go take care of your financial issues and then interview agents and find someone that you click with better when you're ready to buy. Good luck with the process and I hope you enjoy the next experience better and get the right house for you.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:14 AM

718 posts, read 598,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Semantics, but the agent asked how much OP would pay and the response was $0. This happened 2 more times. (The response wasn't "I have zero interest.)

It appears the agent missed the cue and hence repeated the question. First comment, the agent should have followed up with "Why not?" Second comment, the OP could have told the agent why that house didn't work. IMO, it's a failure on both parties but probably a bigger failure by the OP on communication skills.

It's moot anyway. OP, go take care of your financial issues and then interview agents and find someone that you click with better when you're ready to buy. Good luck with the process and I hope you enjoy the next experience better and get the right house for you.

It was expressed in detail why there would be a $0.00 offer on said property. Each time, I needed to add another item, when a "No, I am not interested in this property" is all that is required. When the property is not right, it is not right. I will not be talked into liking and/or purchasing a property. It isn't my first purchase, I do want it to be my last.

Please stop inferring you know more than I do regarding this property and situation.

I already have a couple of suggestions for other agents from friends and both agents have good reviews from what I have researched and are male. Being a female, I tend to work better with males as I work in a male dominated field. It's all good, thanks.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:23 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
OP do you have any diagnosed social issues like aspergers etcs? You missed several cues during communication, which were simply the agents trying to connect with you on some level.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:24 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
OP do you have any diagnosed social issues like aspergers etcs? You missed several cues during communication, which were simply the agents trying to connect with you on some level.
Oh, I think this presumption has been soundly put to rest already in this very thread.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:33 AM

718 posts, read 598,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate