Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2015, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 15,193 times

Advertisements

I have a small 900 sq ft house on blocks in Crosby, TX that needs leveling. I was quoted a price of $13,000.00. Isn't that steep for such a small house.

I was quoted:
blocks 28 $3,000
new blocks 14 $2,100
beams 96ft $2,400
joists: 48ft $700
3 days labor $4,800

I would really appreciate some help on this please.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 10:56 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwern View Post
I have a small 900 sq ft house on blocks in Crosby, TX that needs leveling.
I was quoted a price of $13,000.00. Isn't that steep for such a small house.
How out of level is it?
What is the cause of the out of level problem?

Your list appears to be about creating a new foundation.
For the money quoted I'd look into excavating to create a full basement.
Cost of a House Foundation - Estimates and Prices Paid

Old 03-16-2015, 12:07 AM

17,706 posts, read 29,796,003 times
In my neighborhood, they level houses using a power shovel. Knock it down and smash into pieces. Asbestos increases the cost.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:21 AM

185 posts, read 196,142 times
I have a 1250 sq ft house that needs leveling in San Antonio and I was given rough estimate of $10,000 to $12,000. Its hard to justify spending so much money on house worth maybe $70,000... how does one make a decision on what repairs are "worth it" on an inexpensive house?

Old 03-18-2015, 08:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
In our area the prices you gave, especially labor would be more than double. That would be such a low estimate that one would question the quality of the work. You are probably in a lower cost area, but I would surely consider the age, value of the home, and condition other than the level issue. Being so small, I would look at the cost of demolition and replacement with a new, perhaps even slightly larger house. I would also talk to the insurance carrier to see if this might be covered by being the result of water under the home, or some other covered cause.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:17 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
In my neighborhood, they level houses using a power shovel. Knock it down and smash into pieces. Asbestos increases the cost.
When I first saw the thread title, I thought the same thing.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:43 AM

190 posts, read 192,532 times
I had a Victorian house with basement beams that were rotting. First, I hired a certified engineer compute loads and draw the plans. This helped immensely with getting the plans approved, and was money well spent. I shored the main load bearing beam with metal posts. Then I dug one footing, had it inspected, and poured it, per code. Use a structural concrete mix and rebar, and properly sized and positioned anchor bolts. I made a wood jigging to hold and position the anchor bolts into the wet concrete. When it was cured, I installed one post. Then I repeated until my house had been properly braced.

Leveling was done by turning the screw adjustments to the post a little each few days. I turned the screws 1/4 turn per adjustment. It was labor intensive and took a few weeks, but only cost a couple thousand.

I purchased a jack hammer and cement mixer to make life easier which increased my costs. It is possible to rent screw jacks and level the house, then install the cement blocks, too.

I used a plumb bob and a large 3/4/5 measured triangle and a laser leveler to get my home perfectly level.

Last edited by Devans0; 03-18-2015 at 10:55 AM..

Old 03-18-2015, 08:58 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
That is excessive for a what appear to be the leveling of a pier and beam home. Get three more bids. Most leveling can be accomplished with a hydraulic jack and shims. Unless the beams are broken, I cannot see why you would need new ones. You might need a few additional piers but the basic foundation can often be utilized.

Old 03-30-2015, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 15,193 times
From what I understand about the drawing I was given, there is only the bearing beam and the outer beams that basically forms the square of the house. Apparently that's all there is. It was built in 75 by 1 man that didn't know what he was doing. I wish I could demolish and start over, but no money to do anything. It basically sits on concrete blocks. No other foundation. I gutted the bathroom a couple of years ago and 1 beam under there was replaced due to rot. It is in a very low income area, but couldn't afford anything else. Have less than 2 years left on mortgage. This is the only time I've ever owned anything of my own and I would like to hang on to it for as long as possible. Any other help with advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:01 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwern View Post
It was built in 75 by 1 man that didn't know what he was doing.
It basically sits on concrete blocks.

From what I understand about the drawing I was given there is only the bearing beam
and the outer beams that basically forms the square of the house. Apparently that's all
there is. No other foundation.
Was this drawing and assessment made by a licensed engineer?

If not... then start over and do that before considering any fixes that a real deal
engineer hasn't made out in detail ... like a "prescription" to be followed.

Quote:
It is in a very low income area, but couldn't afford anything else.
Have less than 2 years left on mortgage.
This is the only time I've ever owned anything of my own
and I would like to hang on to it for as long as possible.

I wish I could demolish and start over, but no money to do anything.
Any other help with advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Fixing it right will NOT be cheap.
Even the more creative solutions will have substantial cost.
Doing these will probably require re-mortgaging the paid for house.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate