Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 08:11 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

Are you active with social media? If you have facebook friends you could put out a request that they let their neighbors know you are looking for unadvertised properties. If you have a twitter account, you could just tweet what you are looking for and the location. A really 'hungry' real estate agent could help a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 08:23 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,184 times
Just do it. There are many older folks that still read the newspaper, also as another poster suggested, use craigslist, the word may get out to someone that knows someone, never know, nothing to lose and everything to gain. You can go door to door and drop off a letter, if you have a few dollars to spare then, you can print some flyers/postcards and send a mass mailing via direct mail, i.e., USPS, Experian, etc. to people in the target areas of interest. In some jurisdictions names/address area available at county office and/or online. You can also post flyers on bulletin boards in libraries, laundry mats, supermarkets, community centers, church, ymcas, pet shops, town hall, etc., the possibilities are endless, you are only imited by your imagination, go for it.

The letter should be simple and genuine, first state that you are not a realtor/investor, explain how you and your wife are searching and interested for a suitable home in their area, make a list of things you'd like in the house, also state in the letter if they know of anyone that may be interested or would consider selling to pass along this information to them and lastly. your contact information.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:57 AM

1,704 posts, read 804,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
This implies a very weak market.
Try renting instead of buying or choose a stronger area.
It's not that it is necessarily weak it is that there aren't a lot of buyers in the price range we're looking at. Lower price homes move okay but there is apparently a price above which the potential buyers are a bit more scarce (not that we're looking for a one-of-a-kind mansion).

Old 03-22-2015, 09:02 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
This gives me an idea. I'm discouraged that my labor isn't worth a whole lot, so I'll just take it off the market until wages improve.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:06 AM

203 posts, read 327,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgdriver74 View Post
It's not that it is necessarily weak it is that there aren't a lot of buyers in the price range we're looking at. Lower price homes move okay but there is apparently a price above which the potential buyers are a bit more scarce (not that we're looking for a one-of-a-kind mansion).
So you're looking to buy an expensive home in an area where expensive homes rarely sell? Are you planning on staying in it for the rest of your life? If you do have to sell at some point you may be setting yourself up for a lot of pain.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:35 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

There are better options I think. In many MLS systems the Realtors can see expired listings. Ask your agent to run a search of the expired listings. This might help you locate something that was listed and not sold. You and the agent can proceed from there in contacting the owners. Also ask your agent if s/he can email all of the agents in the area. Many systems have a quick way to do this. I know when I worked as an agent I received emails looking for a specific type of property. Ask your agent to send out this type of email being very specific.
As well as doing both of these, your agent should be able to get specified lists from the title companies. I have access to two title company databases and can get lists that are extremely targeted. I can pull by so many criteria.

I just send out about 250 letters for a buyer and I received 12 calls off of that letter.

Old 03-22-2015, 11:06 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I think you'd be setting yourself up to be innundated by realtors and people trying to unload their houses, no matter how little they resemble what you're looking for.

I think a better approach might be to find a few areas/subdivisions that you like, find the owners' names from courthouse records and send letters to them.

My thought exactly. You can always change the house to meet your needs but not the neighborhood. By directly contacting the owners you can save them thousands in commissions which will look better in their pocket resulting in more pricing flexiblity for you. A good real estate lawyer to be sure all is done correctly and a few good inspectors.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:13 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Nextdoor.com would be a good place to post.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:46 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times
cold calls and letters would be best.

newspaper readership has dwindled, and lots of moms only subscribe for the coupons, not the ads.

That's a lot of money for so few eyeballs.

if Google maps has an updated Street View for your target areas, you don't even have to drive there, and will help you pick your targets

Last edited by oh come on!; 03-22-2015 at 01:56 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 02:30 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
To get names of owners in a particular neighborhood you are interested in, go to a reverse directory, which lists owners by house number on the street. Mail out to those addresses, and be sure to state you are a buyer not an agent.

To contact you, do not want to give your name, phone number or home address. Here are some ways to handle this.

1: A post office box number.

2: Phone. Not your regular home number. Go down to Walmart or other retailer and buy a voip phone service. I like NetTalk, which you buy for $43 which includes a year service. You then register the phone, and are given a number. For one year, you can have this phone service with long distance calls to US and Canada Free. When that phone rings, you know it is someone answering your ad, and no one can find who you are or where you live. You will find it works as well as regular land line service. But the good thing is, you know it is someone calling on your ad when it rings.

The good thing about this is, if you are looking for property in another city, you can have your phone number in any city in the whole country, down to a particular zip code. Example you can be living in New York City, and looking for property in Denver Colorado. Just get a Denver number. The sellers then call you as if you are local.

This is also great, if you are looking for a job in another city, and can apply with a local phone number.

I bought one of these phone services for one of my sons at Christmas. It worked so well for him, that we ended up getting ourselves one, and had our old phone number moved to this NetTalk service. Works perfect every time either placing or receiving calls and the sound is as good as the phone company for 4 months now. $39.95 a year instead of much more than that every month. Nice thing is, we don't get all the soliciting calls we used to get. We did get a new number. They also have a lot of extras that often cost extra with the phone company for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate