Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 11:53 AM

7 posts, read 7,957 times

Advertisements

My husband and I offered $210K (no contingencies) on a house listed at $236K. It is vacant and has been on the market for five months with little traffic (none in the last two months). The sellers have moved out of state for a job transfer. Evidently they were insulted by our offer and told their agent they will not negotiate with us. Are they unreasonable or did we go in too low? This is just outside of the Lexington Kentucky area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2015, 12:02 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
What are comps in the area?

Old 03-26-2015, 12:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
hoise sitting for 5 months. Never went under contract? They are probably asking too much then in the first place. Have they had any price drops?
It's either can't sell for less or my house is worth x because I own it. As the seller would of wanted to keep you at table and countered with 229,000 no contingencies. Go back and forth a few times probably settle on 220-225k and closing costs etc
People are retarded today. Not even willing to negotiate.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:09 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmar View Post
My husband and I offered $210K (no contingencies) on a house listed at $236K. It is vacant and has been on the market for five months with little traffic (none in the last two months). The sellers have moved out of state for a job transfer. Evidently they were insulted by our offer and told their agent they will not negotiate with us. Are they unreasonable or did we go in too low? This is just outside of the Lexington Kentucky area.
Apparently they think so.

We can't really weigh in, though, without knowing what comparable houses have sold for in the past few months.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:14 PM

7 posts, read 7,957 times
It's never been under contract. I don't think they've even had another offer. The original price was $250K. I do believe it's overpriced, but I'm not sure about comps. The only other house in the neighborhood to sell in the last year was $325K, but it was also significantly larger. Oh well... we'll keep looking. Hopefully the next seller we encounter is more sensible.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,314,866 times
That doesn't seem low enough to be insulting. If you'd come in with an offer of like 150 it would warrant a 'they aren't serious, GTFO' reaction, but that's close enough to be worth trying to negotiate if they really wanted to sell. If they get worked up over something that trivial you're probably better off not trying to buy their house.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:21 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
It's never been under contract. I don't think they've even had another offer. The original price was $250K. I do believe it's overpriced, but I'm not sure about comps. The only other house in the neighborhood to sell in the last year was $325K, but it was also significantly larger. Oh well... we'll keep looking. Hopefully the next seller we encounter is more sensible.
You made an offer without comps? I would fire your realtor and find one that knows what they are doing. It doesn't matter if there was or wasn't another offer on the property, comps are what counts. Find a better realtor so you don't lose out next time.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:24 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Sitting that long no buyers/contract and 14k price drop they are just in lala land. 14k drop usually means I wanna sell. Dumb to just ignore. The offer. They should at least counter. But hey let them stew a bit in their offended juices and if they come back Stick to your original offer

Old 03-26-2015, 12:32 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Dumb to just ignore the offer. They should at least counter.
^^This.

Quote:
But hey let them stew a bit in their offended juices
and if they come back I would lower the offer by another 5k
Meanwhile... it's spring! More houses come on the market every day.
Keep looking.

Old 03-26-2015, 12:38 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,213,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
You made an offer without comps? I would fire your realtor and find one that knows what they are doing. It doesn't matter if there was or wasn't another offer on the property or if they were ever under contract, comps are what counts. Find a better realtor so you don't lose out next time.
I'm sorry to say, but you buy property based on what you can get it for...not what some other property sold for. It may work out to be the case sometimes, but that is not the way a self-interested buyer should be thinking about their largest investment in my opinion.

The comps are good for establishing a list price, establishing a value for a mortgage company to lend against (aka the appraisal)...but there is no way I would have comps raise my offer if I felt I could get it lower.

OP...obviously these comments are relative to how accurate your portrayal of the situation is. But it seems you just have idiot sellers in this case. We can't even give them the benefit of the doubt and say they are upside down or cannot afford to go lower...again, assuming they were insulted & refuse to negotiate any more despite them being on the market for 5 months. As a seller...I would never refuse to negotiate after the 1st offer. If I thought an offer was significantly lower than I would accept, I would verbally relay (thru my realtor to their realtor) what I am willing to counter at & let that verbal neogtiation continue as long as they are willing to engage in it. Then if we arrive at a verbal...let them put it in writing (again).

I feel sorry for their realtor (a little).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate