Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 11:14 AM

360 posts, read 709,905 times

Advertisements

The house is in a less than desirable area. It was purchased in Sept 2014 for $380k and has been flipped.

They went on sale in Janurary at $649k.
In March, the price dropped to $639k.

I spoke with the listing agent at a open house on Sunday and she mentioned they haven't received any offers yet.

Though speculative, I believe the house is in a up and coming area. This is in Los Angeles and near a train stop that will eventually connect major parts of the city, downtown, Santa Monica, LAX, etc...

Thinking about offering $575k. I have 20% and have proof of qualified traditional financing.

Is that a low ball offer? Or, since the neighborhood is so / so, should I keep looking?

Comps are saying $575k is still a high offer, but this is a run down neighborhood and most of the houses need lots of work. This house has just been flipped, with a new roof, plumbing, electrical, etc...

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 11:19 AM

6,234 posts, read 8,391,245 times
Buy a house in the best location you can afford. You can improve your house, you can't improve a neighborhood. Come time to resell, it will make a BIG difference.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:38 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,575,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
This is in Los Angeles and ...
The house is in a less than desirable area.
near a train stop

I spoke with the listing agent at a open house on Sunday
and she mentioned they haven't received any offers yet.
was purchased in Sept 2014 for $380k

Thinking about offering $575k.
I have 20% and have proof of qualified traditional financing.
Is that a low ball offer?
No it's not.

I think it's HIGH. Way high.
Why so much more than the price from 6 months ago?

Quote:
Thoughts?
Get out of Los Angeles

Old 03-31-2015, 11:51 AM

13,437 posts, read 15,372,598 times
Sorry. buying a flip in the ghetto based on potential is folly. there's a reason why that price is sinking. look elsewhere.

Old 03-31-2015, 11:56 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,630,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I think it's HIGH. Way high.
Why so much more than the price from 6 months ago?
OP said it was a flip. So someone bought it, fixed it up, and is re-selling it, that's why the price is higher.

To the OP: It's 90% of the original offer, so it's not really that much of a low-ball -- the question, of course, is if you are willing to go any higher. They will probably feel that it is an opening salvo in the negotiation process. To avoid time-consuming back-and-forth, if $575K is your top offer, you might want to make that clear on your offer.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:07 PM

8,077 posts, read 10,008,394 times
Seems high......bot for 380; some (cheap) rehab work....maybe $50/sq ft?.....so if it is a 2500 sq ft home, add 125 to their purchase price; they want to make 25 for their effort/risk, so the "right" price might be somewhere in the neighborhood of 530.

Offer them 500 if YOU are willing to take the risk off of their shoulders; maybe be flexible up to 525.

They should be so lucky to find a well qualified buyer like you willing to take in the risk.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:08 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,649,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iama30something View Post
This is in Los Angeles and near a train stop that will eventually connect major parts of the city, downtown, Santa Monica, LAX, etc...
When?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,637,345 times
You better have the best inspector you can find! Flips are notorious for using cheapest quality and short-cuts. Not everyone is HGTV. I would not buy it but that's just me.

Are you interested in an investment or a house to live in?

Old 03-31-2015, 12:09 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,575,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
OP said it was a flip.
I saw that and ignored it.

Quote:
So someone bought it, (allegedly) fixed it up, and is re-selling it...
To the OP: It's 90% of the original offer, so it's not really that much of a low-ball
Immaterial.

If it's a quality flip (highly doubtful) the questions about the breadth and depth
of the alleged "improvements" are what should dictate any subsequent decisions.

What was wrong with it at $380,000?
What, rather specifically, was done beyond cosmetics?
What is the real value of that work?

Giving EVERY benefit of doubt to the flipper...
I'll still say that $575 in this circumstance is high. WAY high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise
buying a flip in the ghetto based on potential is folly.
there's a reason why that price is sinking.

look elsewhere.
^^What she said.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:11 PM

8,540 posts, read 12,297,947 times
Based only on your description, I wouldn't touch it. You need to be extra wary when buying a house which has been rehabbed by a flipper. Oftentimes, they will cut corners just to make more money...and covering up problems is not unheard of.

The biggest negative is that you say it is in a run down neighborhood. You can fix a house, but you can't fix a neighborhood. You also said that according to the comps your price is high.

That said, I don't know LA and I especially don't know that neighborhood or the house. I just think that it calls for extreme caution. If you like run-down neighborhoods, why don't you buy a cheap house and fix it up yourself? It's better to be the flipper than the flippee.

Remember, it's far better to buy the worst house in a great neighborhood than it is to buy the best house in a bad neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate