Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 08:01 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Like right now with the drought. People in HOAs can't let their lawn die because the HOA will fine, but watering a lawn during this drought is totally irresposible.
FYI this is FUD.

The drought isn't about "don't water AT ALL!!!", it's about conservation.

In 99% of cases drip irrigation is perfectly acceptable. Even with standard irrigation nothing stops people from watering smartly. Water in the evening when it's cooler, not during the day when it evaporates instantly, for example. Don't sit there watering for an hour. If one of your sprinkler heads is busted and spewing water onto the sidewalk don't use the system until it's fixed.

Worst case, get the lawn colored. But to me that's extreme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 03:36 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,789,669 times
Our HOA wouldn't be bad but its ran by the builder. Not a single homeowner in the neighborhood has a say. We won't get control until the builder finishes the neighborhood, which could be another 5 to 10 years.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:06 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxer View Post
Who said anything about a city? Most of America is still rural or suburbs outside of city limits, therefore no city ordinances.

If you are that rural, then why worry about a HOA? That farmer was already there so he shouldn't have to change because now some city slicker doesn't like roosters crowing in the morning.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:11 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I think historical preservation is very important. I see modern additions to beautiful historic homes that stick out like a sore thumb. And why are you so thrilled that the Feds got involved in local matters?

This sore thumbs become an eyesore, some call them "visual pollution." Losing the visual appeal, in addition to losing our architectural heritage -- that's a double whammy.

Again, if you're not willing to live with the rules of the Historical Society, don't buy an historical place. If you want to do whatever you want to your house, there are plenty of homes in non-historical districts, or even in the boonies, where nobody sees you, and nobody bothers you.
But why is it YOUR taste in visual appeal? And no, there are not a lot of locations where you can have that freedom. Unfortunately people have to move to where the jobs are. And I've been in a city where every freaking neighborhood had an HOA. You simply could not escape them. And not a one of them added one cent of value to the homes; just rules and busybodies. Many places don't have neighborhoods anymore. They just have people to happen to live next door.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:10 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,737,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
You've learned a lesson the hard way by not paying attention to what and where you were buying and now expect everyone to bend to your will even though you are in the minority pecentage wise of homeowners.
Take some personal responsibility for yourself and make yourself happy by selling the place and then moving to a place where there is no H.O.A. before you become that "homeowner from hell" whose sole purpose is to make everyone elses life as miserable as yours until you get your way.
Sound advice.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:02 AM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
But why is it YOUR taste in visual appeal?
That's a good question. But I meant to say "visual appeal" of architecturally / historically important buildings. I agree, historic buildings may not be appealing to some, who might find this appealing instead:

But, once one town or village or city establishes a "historical district" or "Landmark District" -- I'll decide if I want to move into and relinquish my rights to build "sore thumbs." That's fair.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:36 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,203,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Try it and see how much it takes to get the city to move on something. I lived in a area where a lady next to me was a hoarder. Like in the shows. It took over two years and a court to get her to clean up.
As for the "we don't want those" I think that's laughable. Some people are bigoted with or without a HOA.

Yeah and 50 years ago more people were considerate of others. Now it's all about ME and I'm King s**t and this is my kingdom. I watched this show on this guy who has year round Christmas lights a ton of weird crap in his yard and house. Blasts music lights and loud noises at his neighbors. All over a Christmas lights dispute.
That's where you use your head. Only buy a house where you don't have a neighbor of any kind in your face. Proper landscape, triple pane windows, properly situated lot, and blinds. I guess those basic tenets are no longer common knowledge. I'd never buy a house with a two storey big box looming over my yard or some "commons" I can't fence off from. Bah!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:08 AM

6,797 posts, read 9,350,606 times
Although I'm not happy with living in an HOA community, I knew what I was getting into when I bought my townhouse. Overall, I see the need for it especially in a townhouse or condo community. In our case, our HOA fees cover exterior maintenance, insurance, snow removal, landscaping, etc., and they aren't unreasonable for the amount of items covered.

My problem with mine is that everyone in my community wants SECURITY DOORS (i.e., the jail bar doors that look like a pawn shop) on their units. Yuck. While we are following the architectural review rules in our by-laws, I know I'm outnumbered. Even though we don't have a problem with crime, owners of the interior townhouses want them so that they can leave their front doors open and have better air circulation and more light. I just don't understand why they want the "jail bar" doors.

Oh well, such is life. But I can say that I knew what I was getting into prior to buying. I read the by-laws.

(yeah, I'm looking to sell and get out before the doors are installed)

Old 04-23-2015, 07:25 AM

9,858 posts, read 7,729,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I refuse to deal with HOA's. It means I'm buying a house in an older neighborhood, but that is just fine with me.
That's what we've done. But now a few older neighbors are trying to change the 50 year old covenants and add very strict rules, worse than many HOA's. Not sure how this will end. If they get enough approvals, I guess it will be neighbor suing neighbor since we don't have an HOA and the developer is long gone.

Old 04-23-2015, 08:56 AM

6,143 posts, read 7,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's what we've done. But now a few older neighbors are trying to change the 50 year old covenants and add very strict rules, worse than many HOA's. Not sure how this will end. If they get enough approvals, I guess it will be neighbor suing neighbor since we don't have an HOA and the developer is long gone.
Ugh. What a bummer. We don't have any covenants in our neighborhood beyond the standard city ordinances. The neighbor next door works on bikes and four wheelers and has all kinds of vehicles in his side yard. He was pleasant and welcoming to us and he's been there for twenty years so I assume the neighbors are okay with it or at least mind their own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate