Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 08:17 AM

86 posts, read 153,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I agree, too difficult to sort through the OP's disorganized rant. I do disagree however, usually the problem with HOA's is people fail to read the CCR's before they purchase then blame the HOA for their issues.
I should have specified that I was referring to the HOA's that truly are problematic...poor management, poor finance handling, or uneven enforcement of the rules. I have seen plenty with those issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 09:13 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,235 posts, read 80,460,275 times
Like most controversies related to real estate, it depends on where you are, and what you want as a resident. For people in townhomes and condos the HOA is needed to cover the common areas, roof and other maintenance that's shared. For the single family residence, if you want a community pool, clubhouse, tennis courts etc., there has to be a way to pay for it. While some of the fees are often quite reasonable, I know people in Seattle condos where the HOA fees are well over $1,000/month, sometimes more than the mortgage payment. There may also be additional assessments for unexpected expenses, or major renovations as the property ages. I personally don't want a bunch of power-hungry neighbors telling me what I can or can't do on or with my own property, so we have always chosen to live in a single family residence without HOA and do all of my own maintenance.

Old 04-05-2015, 09:52 AM

12,663 posts, read 8,887,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
TL/DR. A well run HOA can be very beneficial for a community, like others said. Just don't buy in an HOA community if you don't like the way it works.
Way easier said than done. I've been in locations where basically every neighborhood had an HOA, so you really have no choice. And I have not seen one that didn't turn from "beneficial" to a bunch of power hungry busy bodies trying to run everyone's lives. Usually the retired folks who raised their kids in real neighborhoods, with swing sets and backyard campouts that now want to deny young families the same things they did. Busy bodies who like everything painted the same dull shade of brown on brown on brown they personally like and deny anyone the opportunity to use color, uh, like a red door, or maybe white paint on the house. Or who approve, in writing, a color for a home and then decide they don't like it after the house is painted and demand it be repainted to one more of their liking.

I actually did join the HOA for one neighborhood to try to be a voice of reason and it was appalling the petty jealousy that drove some of these people. The things people would do and things they would complain about their neighbors doing. We're not talking about junk cars up on blocks in the front yard here. We're talking about flowers and backyard grills and even finished basements. There was one new retired couple within a week of moving in volunteered to drive the neighborhood every day locking for violations. Didn't they have anything better to do with their lives than harass their neighbors?

So thankful we finally found a job in another city with no HOA. And you know what? Everyone still mows their yard and no cars up on blocks in the front yard.

Old 04-05-2015, 10:20 AM

983 posts, read 1,173,761 times
Our City Data forum HOA has a rule also

1. Paragraphs MUST be used - NO WALL OF TEXT !

Old 04-05-2015, 10:25 AM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 12 days ago)

43,133 posts, read 76,705,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The HOA didn't approve paragraphs.
Didn't you get the letter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
Our City Data forum HOA has a rule also

1. Paragraphs MUST be used - NO WALL OF TEXT !
I foresee fistfights at the clubhouse....

Old 04-05-2015, 11:03 AM

477 posts, read 506,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
An HOA community can increase the value of your property as much as 20%, did you know that !!!

Communities that don't follow the HOA rules or they have management companies the don't enforce these rules loose as much as 40% property value, did you know that !!!

Most people that complain about the HOA are the ones that cause the most trouble !!!

If you don't like your community and the HOA, then move to the country !!!
Every single one of your statements is wrong, did you know that !!!

Old 04-05-2015, 11:07 AM

477 posts, read 506,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
I agree, too difficult to sort through the OP's disorganized rant. I do disagree however, usually the problem with HOA's is people fail to read the CCR's before they purchase then blame the HOA for their issues.
No, the problem is that after you've bought in to the community, the HOA "reorganizes", raises fees, changes and adds all kinds of bizarre regulations, and then there you are - stuck, because nobody wants to buy into the crazy that your neighborhood has become. (EG property values drop like a stone)

Old 04-05-2015, 12:05 PM

86 posts, read 153,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
No, the problem is that after you've bought in to the community, the HOA "reorganizes", raises fees, changes and adds all kinds of bizarre regulations, and then there you are - stuck, because nobody wants to buy into the crazy that your neighborhood has become. (EG property values drop like a stone)
They do all this without telling you? Without giving you a chance to voice your opinion? In the majority of cases where this kinda stuff happens, it happens because most of the HOA members just sit back and watch... and then they act surprised when its turned into a mess.

Old 04-05-2015, 12:15 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,070,196 times
I bought a custom built condo with an condo docs to hoa...

some buyers would not buy without strict hoa rules and a few potential buyers got all upset with the present hoa rules..

3 potential buyers wanted to raise chickens and goats... the hoa clearly said no,,,they made a huge deal out of it..
we all said NO we are not going to change our rules for chickens and goats....

there is two sides to every story

Old 04-05-2015, 12:22 PM

465 posts, read 610,856 times
I'm sorry but I could not read your post all the way through. Your post is a mess.

If you don't like HOA's then don't buy a home in a community with one. You have the freedom to do that. I like our HOA. I lived in a non HOA community and learned never again. Had a few neighbors that trashed their yards.

When buying a house research the community! If it has an HOA research the HOA. There are great HOA's and there are a few that are horrible. If you don't like yours then get neighbors together and make changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate