Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 08:02 AM

590 posts, read 714,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Again, is someone too prissy to see past wear-and-tear in a carpet (not literally "tear") going to want to live surrounded by trash heaps? We're talking two different target customers here. I really wish the restaurant owner would just buy us out and put us out of our misery.

It would serve my cowardly neighbors right!

I am to "prissy" to see past it. If someone can't take care of something as simple as carpet, I wonder what else needs to be addressed? Dirty carpet is just plain disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 08:05 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Again, is someone too prissy to see past wear-and-tear in a carpet...
Not the buyer YOU're gonna get..

Forget agents. Go to the local Landlord group (that you should belong to already)...
announce the property being available. You'll have CASH for an "as is" sale within a week.

Quote:
I really wish the restaurant owner would just buy us out and put us out of our misery.
If he doesn't someone similar will.
Just as soon as you accept the reality of the property's CURRENT market value.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:20 AM

86 posts, read 82,768 times
Quote:
Secondly, if their cultural quirks (like peeing in the yard, which is also a thing with them) make neighborhoods they inhabit undesirable to mainstream America, that's on them. They can either assimilate, as immigrants always have, or be disliked and resented. Having a million out-of-control noisy kids and living on welfare doesn't help matters.

Finally, there are two other houses for sale on the street; the abandoned one next door and one across the street (where they have to look at these two eyesores); no showings and serial listings. How a reputable realtor can even list the vacant house is beyond me.

"Ripping up carpet" is never as easy as it sounds. There are tack-strips to also pull up, nails holding the tack-strips to pull up, a bazillion staples sticking out of the wood that was holding down the padding that must be pulled up (I got carpel tunnel syndrome doing this once), and of course the carpet disposal (4' strips, duct taped or tied, no more than 50 pounds each, delivered to solid waste) and the cleaning of the floors. Buyers can just see past that the old carpet; they do it on "House Hunters" every day of the week. Also, who buys a house without immediately cleaning it before moving in? Well, maybe Mexicans, which may be our target audience here.

Good brainstorming (although I'll pass on actually moving the house; points for creativity); thanks, all!
You sound like a tremendously pleasant person to be around.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
Not a big fan of illegal aliens, for good reasons. Sorry if not PC. Well, not REALLY sorry...

Old 04-07-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Not a big fan of illegal aliens, for good reasons. Sorry if not PC. Well, not REALLY sorry...
Don't care if you're being PC or not. I just find your attempt to gain sympathy by appealing to xenophobia a bit pathetic. Sorry not sorry. Also, the whole "Mexicans are Caucasians so I can't be racist" statement?

Old 04-07-2015, 10:35 AM

Let them sink YOUR property values and see how welcoming YOU feel. Plus there's the whole "what part of illegal don't you understand" thing that still bothers *some* of us...

Old 04-07-2015, 10:37 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Based on the OPs Zip Code, property is probably located in Frankfort Kentucky which is a lower cost real estate market. Prettying it up won't generate the price upside you would get in the northeast or west coast. On the other hand, property taxes are low, so the carrying costs can't be very much if you held on a while.

You want to dump it, but can't bring yourself to sell it at the ridiculously low price needed to undercut the other houses on the street that are going begging. That's your Hobson's choice. Undercut the prices of the houses that aren't selling at all, or hold on, and gird yourself to battle the neighborhood decay. You don't have the heart for that battle, so someone is going to get real bargain when you sell for 50% of its potential value. If you were to sell to someone who will take on that battle, that 50% gift would be well-deserved, but the sad reality is that your 50% gift will either go to the slumlord next door, or to some other slumlord.

After you make that gift to the slumlords you might feel better to go to City Council and during non-agenda public comment let them know that the City's failure to enforce nuisance ordinances is destroying neighborhoods and robbing them of property tax money.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:40 AM

It's priced well; very well, for what it is. By which I mean pretty low (lower than the third house for sale, which isn't even half the house this one is, not even counting the land). The falling-apart trashy vacant house is priced slightly less, but there's absolutely no contest...

Old 04-07-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Let them sink YOUR property values and see how welcoming YOU feel. Plus there's the whole "what part of illegal don't you understand" thing that still bothers *some* of us...
So if they weren't "illegal" (I'm sure you asked to inspect their papers) but tax-paying citizens, you would be singing a different tune? Of course not. You made up your mind as soon as you saw what they looked like.

Like another poster said - you have a valid concern, but your racism (or if that doesn't work for you, xenophobia) is showing. I think the answer to your original post is clear - get out of the neighborhood as soon as you can so you can continue living in your homogeneous paradise. You obviously have no desire to improve the house (because Mexicans) or to hold onto it and rent it out (because Mexicans). So sell the house as-is, for whatever you can get. What is the big issue here?

Old 04-07-2015, 10:54 AM

They're very amiable; I personally like them (although we can't talk much, as they don't speak English, and I...) But very pleasant, and I greatly admire their strong family ties, actually... And love the food! But they pee in the yard and throw trash out the broken windows and, I don't know, that just seems to be a problem for me... I'm sure the fault is completely my own! I should be more tolerant of others...

But "the big issue" is that it seems to be problem for most potential buyers, as well. Go figure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate