Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 07:38 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,716,085 times

Advertisements

Another one for me is that I would hate to live in a high rise. Even if it was in the swankiest building in the best neighborhood in the nicest city, I would hate it. I like to have outdoor space and I don't like having to deal with people all the time (doorman , neighbors in the elevator and down the hall...) That would actually be my absolute least favorite type of neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 07:43 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,883,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Other than the stereotypical ghetto "slum" or trashy and rundown mobile home parks, what type of neighborhood would you least like to live in?

For me, it would be the upper-middle-class suburban neighborhood filled with manicured lawns and snobby and status-conscious people. I much prefer a semi-rural (but middle class) area where most of the residents have a "live and let live" attitude.

What about you?

Ghetto slums? No! Trailer park? Where?

Having the means to live in an upper middle class suburban neighborhood would mean you fit the bill; why not join your brethren?

Give an example of "semi-rural and middle class". I have already been to the other 3.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:44 PM

18,111 posts, read 25,240,899 times
Quote:
Other than the stereotypical ghetto "slum" or trashy and rundown mobile home parks, what type of neighborhood would you least like to live in?

For me, it would be the upper-middle-class suburban neighborhood filled with manicured lawns and snobby and status-conscious people. I much prefer a semi-rural (but middle class) area where most of the residents have a "live and let live" attitude.

What about you?
I refuse to live in a "perfect suburban neighborhood"
The World is not perfect and my kids need to learn that
There's all kind of people in the World, there's rich, poor, black, white, christians, non-christians
and I want to make sure that my kids are exposed to all of them.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:55 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,616,161 times
I'm kind of leery of the over 55 communities. Don't know if that would interest me. Like neighbors who are friendly and not busy bodies. I have heard of a large community in central FL called the "villages" it's huge. 100,000 and wild. They are mostly Republican and read an article where they have a high rate of sexual transmitted diseases. Who would have ever thought? My guess is like in assisted livings, women out number men 2 or 3 to 1.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:58 PM

24,068 posts, read 32,392,112 times
Cookie cutter Mc Mansions that are close together and are lacking in charm.

Anything with an HOA and a gate - just no!

Old 04-08-2015, 08:38 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,350,804 times
I dislike rural areas, and most small towns.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:10 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,799,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The cookie cutter gated exurb.
Gated or not, I dislike cookie cutter houses too. Especially if you can't tell which house is which unless you look at the address numbers.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,459,207 times
Places where you have to own a car to get anywhere.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:38 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,381,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
My un-favorite is anywhere people do not care to keep their property clean and tidy. Pride of place goes a long way with me whether the area is expensive or old and falling apart.

That makes me think of a neighborhood near here, with little, cottage-type homes, that are so well kept! We would consider buying one, except we don't know where we plan to retire, but they would be perfect for just the two of us, and go for around 120K, we could pay cash for that, perhaps leave it to our kids, but then again.....they would probably put out a contract on us if they knew what we were really worth

Old 04-08-2015, 11:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,224,723 times
Quote:

What about you?
The upper middle class suburban neighborhood with manicured lawns is exactly what I LOVE. That doesn't necessarily mean people who live there are snobby or status conscious. Non-snobby people like nice neighborhoods with manicured lawns too.

I wouldn't mind semi-rural, either, if still close enough to amenities. I don't want to live somewhere that it takes an hour to get to the grocery store. But I still like the estate lot, manicured look, with a tree lined driveway, landscaping, nice lawn.

A lot of my growing up was in rural areas so I actually would like to have a little bit of land with trees and trails and dirt paths/roads - but BEHIND my house. In front I want my manicured estate lawn. And I don't care what the neighbors do with their property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate