Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 03:50 PM

244 posts, read 667,357 times

Advertisements

We've been looking for a house with a realtor and haven't been able to get any of our offers accepted. We recently found a FSBO house without our realtor, as he is on vacation this week.

The owners don't want to pay a commission to our agent and we're fine with that. However, we want to compensate our realtor for the time he has spent taking us around, with our almost 5-year old son, and putting in offers on other houses. What would be fair for that time? We will be paying $250,000 for the house that we are going to buy.

And before anyone mentions it, it we need an attorney, I work for one that can help us out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 04:01 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,507,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakread2 View Post
We've been looking for a house with a realtor and haven't been able to get any of our offers accepted. We recently found a FSBO house without our realtor, as he is on vacation this week.

The owners don't want to pay a commission to our agent and we're fine with that. However, we want to compensate our realtor for the time he has spent taking us around, with our almost 5-year old son, and putting in offers on other houses. What would be fair for that time? We will be paying $250,000 for the house that we are going to buy.

And before anyone mentions it, it we need an attorney, I work for one that can help us out.
What do buyers' agents get where you live? Find out and go from there. Did you sign a buyers' agent contract?

Old 04-08-2015, 04:07 PM

Where do you find out what a buyer's agent typically receives? No, we didn't sign anything with him. We're able to go this route by ourselves.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Where do you find out what a buyer's agent typically receives? No, we didn't sign anything with him. We're able to go this route by ourselves.
It seems to be 2-3% in Cali. That's $5,000-$7,500. How many homes did he show you to warrant that? I think it's great that you want to compensate him for his time. But 2-3% is what he would've earned had he shown it to you if it wasn't FSBO. But it was FSBO. That's a LOT of money to give him IMHO.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:23 PM

We've been looking for about 3 weeks. He showed us around 12 homes and half of them were with our son in tow. We put offers in on 3 of them. On 2 of them, we were outbid and the 3rd one countered at more than we could afford and would not budge.

If we were to offer him that amount as compensation, we wouldn't be able to do some flooring changes that we would like to do in the new house.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:26 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,090,114 times
You could pay him a reasonable hourly rate for the time he spent with you, plus double it to take care of his expenses. Maybe $2000?

Old 04-08-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
We've been looking for about 3 weeks. He showed us around 12 homes and half of them were with our son in tow. We put offers in on 3 of them. On 2 of them, we were outbid and the 3rd one countered at more than we could afford and would not budge.

If we were to offer him that amount as compensation, we wouldn't be able to do some flooring changes that we would like to do in the new house.
I think it's a lot of money to give away. If you try on 12 pairs of shoes at a store but don't like anything, and you find a pair in another store, does the first guy get a commission?

You're not obligated to give him anything. Get him a GC to a nice restaurant. If you're hellbent on giving him money, $500 is a figure that popped into my head.

Last edited by iluvmycuties; 04-08-2015 at 04:35 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 04:37 PM

17,706 posts, read 29,800,391 times
$1236.49

Old 04-08-2015, 05:04 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
I got out of residential real estate in 1981 when my client's kid peed in the back seat of my almost new car.

No big deal I told her. Called her a couple of days later with a house she might want to see.

Oh, we bought a FSBO yesterday!

I'd forgotten about that until just now. If I had remembered it, I might not have bought the real estate company 9 years ago.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:13 PM

Except for once, when we didn't have our son with us, we always took our car and followed our realtor. We had to do it that way since he's still in a car seat/booster.

We're supposed to sign the sales agreement with the sellers tomorrow, so we'll have some time to decide how we wan tot compensate our realtor. We want to leave it on good terms in case we need to use him the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate