Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 03:36 PM

11,827 posts, read 34,436,540 times

Advertisements

what bout turning the negative into a positive?

Cheapest place on the lake! All the benefits, minus the payment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 07:26 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
Just saw this...see 2nd photo...all white cabinets make the mixed black/white appliances "disappear"... just a thought.
VisualTour

Old 01-17-2008, 08:31 PM

469 posts, read 1,485,136 times
I would place it on the market without the upgrades see what kind of feed back you get if everyone is saying that it just isnt comparable to the neighborhood due to not having the improvements in the kitchen then even if your seller doesnt sell now he will have to upgrade later. So, have him do the upgrades and go after the higher sales price. Obviously after the completion of the work list it under a new mls number.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:02 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,779,762 times
You guys are awesome. I'll get a wide angle pic of the kitchen today.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:44 AM

13 posts, read 39,670 times
I would say replace the appliances with some stainless steel at the very least.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 AM

Default More pics

Here are 3 quick pics of the kitchen to show what presently exists.

Also there are two pic of the view to show what we're up against.

Thanks again for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Request Advice from the Market Savvy-kit-1.jpg   Request Advice from the Market Savvy-kit-2.jpg   Request Advice from the Market Savvy-kit-3.jpg   Request Advice from the Market Savvy-view-1.jpg   Request Advice from the Market Savvy-view-2.jpg  

Old 01-21-2008, 12:03 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,322,478 times
Based on the photos and the input I've been getting from my buyers recently, and my own opinion , here would be my suggestions:

1) Love the tile - adds a lot of character and warmth. Grout in the kitchen needs a major cleaning.
2) Definitely new countertops (granite or solid surface that looks like granite)
3) New appliances. If not stainless steel, then black.
4) Clean and polish the existing kitchen cabinets and add brushed nickel hardware or rubbed bronze (depending on appliances and countertops).
5) Paint the kitchen something other than white/off white. You need a color of some sort that will make the cabinets "pop" so that the cabinets become a positive instead of a negative. I'm thinking a warm rusty brown (but not too dark). A warm green (kind of a light olive shade) would work, too.
6) Accessorize above the cabinets but don't go overboard. Just something to make the room look "finished".
7) Make sure that all the refigerator art is gone and countertops/breakfast bar are staged.

I really think, if the room was done right, that your seller could get away with not replacing or resurfacing the cabinets. That would save him money to put into the counters and appliances. Actually I think there's a nice flow to the space and with a little pizzazz in the decorating it could be a very inviting kitchen. Right now, though, I'd say it's a deal breaker.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:16 PM

Thank you Gretchen, and don't worry about the staging. All the clutter will be gone. I just took quick pictures for the purpose of getting feedback.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:02 PM

506 posts, read 2,280,259 times
Default I always suggest people put 1-2% back int their

homes just before the sell.............so you are right their............and come on this is the kitchen the most important room in the house when it come to resale value...............i would definitely do it.........no brainer.....p.s i don't think it will cost 10k.................Good Luck..............

Old 01-21-2008, 06:03 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
I mostly agree with Gretchen on this one.
- Paint the walls
- Install high-end countertops. A warm color with stainless appliances looks great. I know black is the latest fad but I think it's the new "harvest gold" :-)
- Install new sink and countertops in center island; make "tall" part match the "lower" part! In its present condition it looks like it was put together by committee.
- The cabinetry is impressive. I wouldn't bother refacing, and would suggest staining them a warmer color to match the new counters if possible, or paint if necessary with the new color scheme.
- Can you or the seller find a kitchen renovation person who has the software to take your photos and show you what different colors/counters/appliances would look like? I think that would save a lot of tough decisions and potential errors in the re-do.
- Writing from snow country, I'm not seeing a lot wrong with the view. Yes, there's no landscaping next to the parking lot, and it would look better if it was. But the shopping center itself looks very nice, and the water is gorgeous.
How about staging the dock, so that people's eyes are drawn to something nice there rather than the shopping center? Would the weather permit you to put up some patio furniture (umbrella up to hide the horizontal eyeview of the shopping center?) or perhaps a nice sunshade of some kind, like trellis-topped, gazebo, or a dome? This could cost a few $$ to build or buy but would effectively help hide the view. Just some thoughts. A webpage showing some design ideas is here Gazebos, Create The Ultimate Backyard, Las Vegas
Obviously this seller would want the simplest design just to serve the purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate