Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:40 AM

39 posts, read 112,046 times

Advertisements

I dont like people on the net knowing where I live. Not even my internet friends on facebook know where i live
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 12:03 PM

46 posts, read 71,011 times
I'm not saying anything.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:58 PM

thanks dude

Old 04-16-2015, 01:32 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,877,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksJason View Post
Forgot to mention. Of the 22-ish showings our broker only told us one feedback. It was positive, they loved the house and everything but they have an autistic son and we are right next to a brook, elevated about 15 feet from the brook by a brick wall. We have a small wooden fence separating our house from the drop but i guess the people wanted a backyard where they can let the kid play without having to be carefully watched.

So I'm assuming we may have gotten a lot of negative feedback and the broker just doesn't wanna tell us?
I actually looked at a house similar, but no brook (btw, drownings are the number 1 cause of death in autistic kids). I couldn't get past the drop off. Dogs, kids...thinking of them falling and hurting themselves. I would always be worried. That could be an issue. The house I looked at, if they showed me that first, I would have just moved right on. I wonder if there is anything you can do to make that safer. If it is a family home, it might come up alot.

P.S. Ok I went and read the whole thread. If it is marketed to families, the drop off and the busy road might be a turn off to families. It would be for me! Just something to keep in mind.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:52 PM

we have a fence between the drop and the backyard.....the only other thing to do for it to be safer would be put up a big brick wall.....but that would be up to the people who move in to decide. No point in spending all that money if a potential buyer wouldnt even want it there. I'm sure people coming can imagine ways they can make it safer if they need to, thanks for the advice though

Old 04-16-2015, 01:56 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Have you had showings throughout this week? Any feedback yet from previous showings?

Old 04-17-2015, 09:10 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Yeah, i just dont understand why someone would pay 50k more (in a house between 600 and 700 grand).....for a much smaller, not as nice or updated house, and with a lot less land than ours just cause its on a side street. We have a ****load of land which is hard to find in our town.....we have .4 acres we probably have one of the biggest lots in our town....much bigger than that one that sold for 50k more and nicer on the inside......We were city people and loved the house and didnt care it was on a main road....so i guess we just have to hope to find other people moving from the city to the suburbs who won't mind.

There is a house up the block from us that went up 3 weeks ago and was purposely priced too low (about 150-200k less than it was worth) to attract people and ended up getting 2 bidders in 2 days. Not sure what it went for yet. But that is taking a big gamble on a house to underprice it that drastically and just glide on a wing and a prayer youll get 2 people interested in a very short amount of time. There is too much money involved to gamble when selling a house imo.
You're not buying the house now. As a buyer, I would most definitely pass on a house on a busy street. I have dogs, and I don't want to risk them dashing out the front door and getting hit by a car. I would imagine people with kids would feel the same way. I also don't want to have to enter on to a busy street every time I leave my driveway.

Different strokes for different folks.

Old 04-17-2015, 10:11 AM

92 posts, read 113,519 times
I recently bought a house. On a nice, quiet side street. And I used to own a city condo on a nice, quiet side street.

For what it's worth my condo sold in 12 days in a hot seller's market and we had to make an offer on our new home in 2 days to get it in a very hot seller's market!

Quote:
Yes my dad did all the landscaping on our house and the garden and takes care of it....brand new carpeting and new tiled or wood floors in other rooms

He built and finished a deck for our backyard

We took out some of our furniture but dont want the house to look bare either. I noticed houses look better when they look lived in.....its more inviting than an empty house where the people have already moved

we moved out enough furniture to open up the rooms but left furniture as well to make it look nice and lived in
Decluttering is smart. Did you also take out all the family photos from the walls/mantles/tables? You want the house to look less like "your family's" house & more like "any family's" house so that potential buyers can picture themselves in the space. My realtor had me take out all the personal photos and leave up the art when I sold my condo.

Also FWIW carpet / tile is not a plus for most homeowners. We just tore out all the carpet & tile in our new home & are planning to put in hardwoods. Granted we were also not $600-700K level buyers - at that price point I would expect hardwoods throughout. Updating flooring isn't a trifling task either...time consuming and/or expensive depending on whether you DIY/hire contractors!

Old 04-17-2015, 11:49 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I really wish our current house had brand new carpeting and flooring. The carpet is 7 years old and has an undercurrent of cat ****. I'd rather not have to tear anything up and install. When I buy a resale, I want people to do most of that for me.

I see many high end homes here with tile floors. My father's home in South Florida is wall to wall tile. No wood anywhere, and given where he lives, totally logical.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centraleastaustinite View Post
I recently bought a house. On a nice, quiet side street. And I used to own a city condo on a nice, quiet side street.

For what it's worth my condo sold in 12 days in a hot seller's market and we had to make an offer on our new home in 2 days to get it in a very hot seller's market!

Decluttering is smart. Did you also take out all the family photos from the walls/mantles/tables? You want the house to look less like "your family's" house & more like "any family's" house so that potential buyers can picture themselves in the space. My realtor had me take out all the personal photos and leave up the art when I sold my condo.

Also FWIW carpet / tile is not a plus for most homeowners. We just tore out all the carpet & tile in our new home & are planning to put in hardwoods. Granted we were also not $600-700K level buyers - at that price point I would expect hardwoods throughout. Updating flooring isn't a trifling task either...time consuming and/or expensive depending on whether you DIY/hire contractors!
Some of our rooms are hardwood some aren't. If its not time consuming or expensive to put in hardwood floors im sure someone who is interested can do that on their own then....also in the rooms we put new carpeting in there is already a hardwood floor, just not finished. Having someone put in new carpets was a last minute thing we decided to do and too late and not worth it to tear it all up and do something else. The small house with not much land that sold for 70 grand more than our house is listed at had wall to wall throughout the house except the bathrooms and kitchen, and it was old carpeting that looked like it was there for 20+ years. People go into houses expecting to make changes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate