Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,812,682 times

Advertisements

Paintball Gun, won't kill it but it won't want to run into it again haha
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
When my dad got tired of some strays, he rounded them up and dropped them off in another neighborhood. lol
Yeah I could never do that, it isn't a stray and not fair to the other neighborhood. lol

Old 04-16-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
Paintball Gun, won't kill it but it won't want to run into it again haha
My husband used a water gun...to no avail. It just runs when we come out. I saw a suggestion in the rep comments about motion activated water sprinklers. Going to try that as well.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:21 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,562 times
Are there laws in your neighborhood about animals running about? I know some neighborhoods do not allow any pets to roam around outdoors. If that's the case, maybe inform your neighbor of that and see if that will get them to keep the cat inside.

You might also try spraying the areas that the cat bothers with something that smells of citrus. I know I've sprayed furniture with orange scented spray and my cats couldn't stand it. Probably the cheapest thing you could try!

Old 04-16-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Are there laws in your neighborhood about animals running about? I know some neighborhoods do not allow any pets to roam around outdoors. If that's the case, maybe inform your neighbor of that and see if that will get them to keep the cat inside.

You might also try spraying the areas that the cat bothers with something that smells of citrus. I know I've sprayed furniture with orange scented spray and my cats couldn't stand it. Probably the cheapest thing you could try!
I am not trying to be mean but I couldn't stand it if my porch smelled strongly of oranges. lol I want fresh air! But you are right it would be cheaper and something to consider in the cold winter months when we don't use it as much.

As for laws, I had called the city the first time I caught the cat in my yard and the neighbor couldn't care less about it. The city has no leash or confinement laws on cats, only dogs. The animal control officer has to see with their own two eyes (no video or photos) of the cat scratching, causing issues etc in order to qualify for it being classified a nuisance animal. I don't live in a HOA so that's out too.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:13 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Wow, that's so rude! I'd take a picture of the cat scratching at the screen, and then send it to the neighbor with a bill to repair it. Also charge the neighbor for a cleaning service to clean the cushions on your porch, due to your cat allergies (if you don't have any now, I'd develop some. :-) I absolutely HATE pet parents who don't give a crap about their pets. :-(

I'd worry about the cat being around the car, especially when it's cold outside. We had a neighbor whose kids were horrified when a stray cat crawled up into the engine compartment to stay warm before they were going to school -- yeah, it was ugly, blood all over the driveway, plus that initial "YEOOOWWWWWW . . . !"

If worst comes to worst, you could just call Animal Control and have them pick it up, and then the owners would have to go pay to get it out of hock. But then there's the chance that they wouldn't -- and then that's the end of the cat :-(

And next time they mention your dog, I think I'd get in their face and say, "I'll worry about MY dog staying out of YOUR yard when you start worrying about YOUR cat in MY yard. Until then, I'd rather have your cat in YOUR tree than MY screened porch. Deal?"

Old 04-16-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Wow, that's so rude! I'd take a picture of the cat scratching at the screen, and then send it to the neighbor with a bill to repair it. Also charge the neighbor for a cleaning service to clean the cushions on your porch, due to your cat allergies (if you don't have any now, I'd develop some. :-) I absolutely HATE pet parents who don't give a crap about their pets. :-(

I'd worry about the cat being around the car, especially when it's cold outside. We had a neighbor whose kids were horrified when a stray cat crawled up into the engine compartment to stay warm before they were going to school -- yeah, it was ugly, blood all over the driveway, plus that initial "YEOOOWWWWWW . . . !"

If worst comes to worst, you could just call Animal Control and have them pick it up, and then the owners would have to go pay to get it out of hock. But then there's the chance that they wouldn't -- and then that's the end of the cat :-(

And next time they mention your dog, I think I'd get in their face and say, "I'll worry about MY dog staying out of YOUR yard when you start worrying about YOUR cat in MY yard. Until then, I'd rather have your cat in YOUR tree than MY screened porch. Deal?"
The city won't do it. They are pretty strict on their no leash/containment laws for cats. My husband was in disbelief when they told him about the dog/cat incident. I don't know exactly what my husband said, but he was shaking his head when he came home. lol

I think at this point, I am hoping the motion sprinklers and deer repellent I ordered it will repel ALL nuisance animals from my yard. I do enjoy the rabbits, birds and squirrels and will miss them but it's worth it to keep the cat and deer out.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 PM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
When my dad got tired of some strays, he rounded them up and dropped them off in another neighborhood. lol
I wish that I could do that with our next door neighbour's cat, but it's street-wise and he won't let us near him, plus we don't have a car! Skittish thing.

Lord, I loathe this cat. I complained to the city about him, but there's no licence laws where I live for cats. There should be. This is a killer cat, too, goes after birds and squirrels.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
I wish that I could do that with our next door neighbour's cat, but it's street-wise and he won't let us near him, plus we don't have a car! Skittish thing.

Lord, I loathe this cat. I complained to the city about him, but there's no licence laws where I live for cats. There should be. This is a killer cat, too, goes after birds and squirrels.
Thanks to this thread I found the repellent and motion sprinklers, check them out.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:20 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
I would feed it. I would feed that cat so well that it got so fat its paws didn't touch the ground and it never wanted to go home.
And then I would suggest publicly that I HAD to feed it because the neighbors neglected it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate