Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 12:29 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,069,367 times

Advertisements

Maybe this belongs under the confessions thread.

I live in a condominium with less than 10 units.

One neighbor like to spread embellished gossip. I keep her at arms length knowing if she is saying catty things about all the other neighbors, she doing the same thing about us. We all know the type.
Two years ago I got some of her mail and handed it back to her. She told me thanks, it was her disability pay. She's told us she has fibermyalgia and is on disability. Her husband was out of work when she told us about this and she told us that she works for a vet on a cash under the table basis.

I didn't approve of it, but we all have tough times and have to make moral decisions. Who am I to judge.

Two years ago she hired some workers for the condo. She claims said they damaged her storm shutters and that she doesnt feel safe with them not operating. ( Never mind that I can see her backyard from ours and she had never used them. Since the people she hired were doing work for the condo, she felt the condo should pay for the repair. It was $300. Everyone felt it was just easier to pay the $300 than make an issue of it. She also made a claim on her insurance.

Last year she parked her car on the street and left her purse and laptop on the passenger seat. It was broken into. She told me about it. Later she told me that she had added to the claim that her mother's jewelry was in her purse, even though it wasn't.

Last October she needed some condo info. Seems her insurance had dropped her after making three claims in a year. (Not sure what the third one was.)
I was tempted to mention it to the insurance, but... ehhhhh.....

This week she tried to push through the condo maint. contract. I called a halt to it because we had three bids. $2,100 ; $3,100 and $6,000. She insisted on the $6,000 bid.
Being the president of the condo I called all three bids. All three used the same materials. One was a solo guy (the cheap one) and the other two were companies.
Anyone wanna guess what I found?

Yep, she was getting highly discounted personal services from the $6,000 bidder, contingent on him getting the condo bid.

So the ethical question is why is the last incident riling me up? The first two were just as bad.
The only explanation is that the last one affects me very personally. But ethically they are all the same.
I'm obviously taking action on the last one. But my flexible ethics bother me. Should I go back and report all the issues? Or just the last one? If just the last one, how is that ethical?

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 02:01 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
The insurance issues are none of your business. You just happened to learn about them. How would you know who her insurance companies are to make a report?

The difference is that the last one is the only one you can realistically do something about.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:18 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,009,123 times
Many insurance companies offer a reward of sorts for reporting fraud....just saying..

Old 04-18-2015, 02:23 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
While I totally agree with your feelings, my sincere advice would be to leave it alone. You've kinda already missed the boat on reporting - mainly because she would likely know who reported her - YOU.

That's not gonna be a good living environment for YOU and your family. Leave it alone.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:52 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
You have an obligation to the HOA for the sake of the HOA, not her personal life. Confine yourself to the HOA issues.

If you are to reject the high bid based on her trickery then be prepared to prove it which could be difficult. Otherwise reject it as to high and go with one of the other bids.

Old 04-18-2015, 04:06 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Is she on the board, is she treasurer etc.? Or is she just a resident throwing in a high bid to benefit herself?

If she is not on the board she does not have a fiduciary responsibility. If she is on the board and this is true she should be kicked off.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:32 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Do what's best for all the homeowners. You are trusted by the others to make the correct decision. Bring it up to your meeting with the other board members about your findings. This woman is a board member? If she is what she is attempting to do is highly unethical. If she is no the board it could have some ramifications.

We had a guy who tried that. He smooth talked his way in the president position because the old pres was moving , and then the whole his house needed all these things done outside. Yeah that didn't last long. The other members pretty much hammered that guy into paste. He ended up resigning and eventuslly moved

Old 04-19-2015, 01:20 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Call an emergency board meeting now.

Explain whats going on and get rid of her, as for the insurance, report her.

Old 04-19-2015, 02:44 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
As I read the OP, the neighbor is not on the BOD thus my reply to ignore her and tend to BOD business. If she is on the BOD then do call a meeting to discuss her actions. You cannot fire her but you could marginalize her then work on getting her off the BOD.

Old 04-19-2015, 04:30 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
The insurance issue took care of itself. They dropped her; insurance companies aren't stupid. No one leaves a purse, laptop and jewelry on the front seat of their car. I work in claims; people are so transparent and think they are so clever. Insurance adjusters have seen it all. Can't prove it? They drop her. And it's on her CLUE report for future insurers to see.

You can certainly call her out on her behavior if she questions why you aren't going for her latest scheme, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate