Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,755 times

Advertisements

If you have the luxury of not having to sell too quickly, you could take the wait-and-see approach. Personally, I can and have looked past the paint jobs in the homes we have purchased. If your property is in otherwise great condition and in a good location, I wouldn't worry about the paint. If you choose not to paint, you could "tone down" the color a little with some white or cream accessories (throw pillows, towels, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 08:03 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,601,837 times
Dark colors are harder to cover. Do at least those rooms. Hope you don't also have wallpaper?
Paint is one thing but wallpaper is the WORST!

Old 04-21-2015, 08:43 PM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
Alright! My burgundy-walled bedroom, with Aztec Yellow/Turquoise accents, I can see that will have to go! The stairway walls (lime-green & cobalt blue) I can see that will have to go too! The pink-walked bathroom upstairs, I will leave it! The burnt orange colored downstairs half-bath with orange porcelain tiled floor, don't know about that one! Living room is a light yellow with a bright yellow, wall-to-wall bookshelf, I think I'll keep that as is.

But ah, the combo dining room/kitchen! I'd cry my eyes out to cover up the one wall with light yellow and 2 pink walls and the violet kitchen cupboards with purple trim! And I even painted the verticals, for the sliding glass doors, one different color on each side of the blinds!

The carpeting has been here since I bought it 19 years ago, and has probably been here long before that. A carpeting allowance for that!

Now, time to pick the color(s)!

Thanks for all your responses!

My expectation of getting any decent price for this townhouse is very low anyway, afterall, this is Las Vegas, where prices fell off a cliff during the Great Recession. I paid $72k for this townhouse 19 years ago, it zoomed to $200k during the boom times, then crashed to the high 20's/30's at the bottom. And, now, in this well-managed/maintained 433 unit townhouse complex in East Central (great location for a convenience junkie!) I see units going anywhere from the high 50's to the low 80's.

All I want is enough to buy me a townhouse in Tucson with cash! And the prices for the units I'm seeing there are comparable!

I expect the location alone will be a plus for selling. 4 major grocery chains within a mile of the house (2 being walking distance), 2 bus lanes within walking distance, 5 bars within a 4 block walk, along with restaurants/commercial offerings, 3 miles from the Las Vegas Strip, and this townhouse complex has all but stubbornly refused to cave in to desert landscaping, with green, park-like grounds, very hard to find in Las Vegas today!

Last edited by tijlover; 04-21-2015 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 09:50 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,721,623 times
Quote:
If you have the luxury of not having to sell too quickly, you could take the wait-and-see approach. Personally, I can and have looked past the paint jobs in the homes we have purchased. If your property is in otherwise great condition and in a good location, I wouldn't worry about the paint. If you choose not to paint, you could "tone down" the color a little with some white or cream accessories (throw pillows, towels, etc.)
This would be a big mistake. The longer a property sits on the market, the harder it is to even get it shown and sold. It gets shopworn as they say in retail. The market that would buy a condo in Las Vegas is not large at this time as the OP admits. You want the property to show great, and appeal to the maximum number of buyers.

Handicapping the property with those color schemes, would make the property the least desirable to a large number of potential buyers. It is extremely important, that it will show the best starting at day one when it first appears in the multiple listing book. Pictures of a condo with those colors will not even get shown but to people that want to make real low ball offers. I have seen it happen too many times, to think otherwise.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:51 PM

15,539 posts, read 40,308,808 times
Purple kitchen cabinets? That will be a deal killer for many people. Painting cabinets is a pain.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:56 PM

1,653 posts, read 2,299,553 times
The cheapest thing you can do that will get you the biggest return on your investment is painting. White or beige is your best bet. Many potential buyers can not see past a sellers decorating style. I can, I have a good eye for staging a room in my head regardless of it's condition. Most can not.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:56 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,962,709 times
Buyers won't want to paint those kitchen cabinets. They are very hard to do correctly........and they will look at the kitchen as a total reno project.

I don't mind painting white walls with my own pale tints. But having to repaint brightly colored walls, etc. takes a lot of primer, paint and time. Also I've found that many people don't paint as well as they think they do... and there is a lot of paint bleed onto the ceiling..........necessitating having to repaint ceilings as well.

Ceilings are a royal pain in the backside.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:49 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,243,462 times
I would love brightly colored walls. Paint white or leave alone.

NO BEIGE!! It makes everything darker and dingy.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:40 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,754,614 times
Purple cabinets will be a huge hindrance as 90% of buyers will have to paint or replace them. I would remove the vertical blinds altogether. Many people will be so shocked at the multitude of colors that they won't notice the features of your house.

19-year-old carpet will have odors. If you aren't replacing it, at least have it steam cleaned.

Forget allowances. I would price it as a fixer-upper.

Do you have an agent yet?

Old 04-22-2015, 06:05 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,910,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Paint it.

I have always been amazed at how many buyers cannot look past paint color.

It also will freshen up the entire space, removing marks and "wear" that you've gotten accustomed to and make the whole place look cleaner and newer.
I'm one of those who can't. It's a huge PITA to have to paint a home you just closed on when you're trying to move in. I don't want to have to deal with the hassle of repainting a house I just purchased, and I know many other buyers are the same. Painting is not like a lot of other home projects. It requires removing, or at least covering, all the furniture in the room during the time it's being done. And it can become expensive depending on how brightly the house is painted. Paint color is something that effects the mood of the entire room. I agree with Mike. At least some of the rooms should be repainted, and the more rooms you repaint, the better it will be for you as a seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Personally, I would never make an appointment to see your home if there were photos.
Even with a "paint allowance", why would I do all the hard work to cover up what you did?
This. Even a liberal painting allowance isn't worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate