Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 08:31 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,937,954 times

Advertisements

We rented a house in an HOA community. There was an old man, with no life, who "picked on" the renters.

I'd get a notice about weeds, go out with my ruler, lay it next to the one 1/2" weed in the yard, take a photo and send it in as my reply. I'd get a notice that the tree was "over hanging the sidewalk". Again, go out with the camera, take a picture showing that OUR tree was the ONLY one not overhanging on the block. Then there was the day the trash folks didn't come before we left to go out to dinner at 5pm. We got home at 7pm. 2 days later, notice in the mail... "Trash cans left out".

It's been almost a year since we've moved out and they're still sending those notices to us. I've called the HOA, but they just say they'll "fix it" and then the following week I get another notice. I don't even live in the state anymore!

When we buy, we will be trying to avoid HOAs. If we do have to buy in an HOA community and I get ONE notice for something stupid, I will TAKE OVER the dang thing. My father had this problem out in CA with his HOA and a neighbor that was jealous of Dad's inground pool, spa, and solar panels. Dad went to the election meeting, stood up and announced his candidacy for president and his intention to focus on the homes and yards of the previous board members. Out of 75 residents present, Dad got 71 votes... apparently the 4 board members didn't vote for him. After the vote, 2 of the board members came to his house and asked him (nervously) what he was planning. He pulled out the letters from them he had and the ones he'd collected that night at the meeting and explained that payback was a *****. The former treasurer is in jail now, and the former president has in excess of $100k in liens on his home from fees he refused to pay. Every single one of them a legit complaint, according to the bylaws of the HOA.

200 people with cameras can take a lot more photos than 4 people without lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 08:45 AM

414 posts, read 1,257,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
We rented a house in an HOA community. There was an old man, with no life, who "picked on" the renters.

I'd get a notice about weeds, go out with my ruler, lay it next to the one 1/2" weed in the yard, take a photo and send it in as my reply. I'd get a notice that the tree was "over hanging the sidewalk". Again, go out with the camera, take a picture showing that OUR tree was the ONLY one not overhanging on the block. Then there was the day the trash folks didn't come before we left to go out to dinner at 5pm. We got home at 7pm. 2 days later, notice in the mail... "Trash cans left out".

It's been almost a year since we've moved out and they're still sending those notices to us. I've called the HOA, but they just say they'll "fix it" and then the following week I get another notice. I don't even live in the state anymore!

When we buy, we will be trying to avoid HOAs. If we do have to buy in an HOA community and I get ONE notice for something stupid, I will TAKE OVER the dang thing. My father had this problem out in CA with his HOA and a neighbor that was jealous of Dad's inground pool, spa, and solar panels. Dad went to the election meeting, stood up and announced his candidacy for president and his intention to focus on the homes and yards of the previous board members. Out of 75 residents present, Dad got 71 votes... apparently the 4 board members didn't vote for him. After the vote, 2 of the board members came to his house and asked him (nervously) what he was planning. He pulled out the letters from them he had and the ones he'd collected that night at the meeting and explained that payback was a *****. The former treasurer is in jail now, and the former president has in excess of $100k in liens on his home from fees he refused to pay. Every single one of them a legit complaint, according to the bylaws of the HOA.

200 people with cameras can take a lot more photos than 4 people without lives.
Now THAT would drive me bonkers!!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:20 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
I love our HOA. I only wish they would let us keep some chickens.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:24 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,180,561 times
Yup, that sounds like a typical buyer. They never know what they want!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
I've got clients that insist "No HOA", so we go look at homes in the non-HOA subdivisions, and then they say:

1) "I can't believe somebody would paint their house fuschia!"
2) "I don't want to look at the humungous RV parked in the neighbor's driveway!"
3) "Wow! I didn't think that many yard ornaments would fit in one yard!"
4) "Does everybody around here have a project vehicle in their driveway?"

. . . "But, I don't want to live where there's an HOA."

What's a poor agent to do?

Old 05-13-2008, 05:05 AM

9,720 posts, read 14,257,964 times
In our area, we're overrun with new subdivisions, each with a Homeowner Association. Since Kent County, Delaware requires open space, and a storm water facility in each subdivision, there has to be an association to maintain these when the builder moves on. But these are not near as bad as the 55+ communities springing up in Delaware. (We call them "fishbowl" communities) The association rules they have set down for those leasing the land and owning their home, extend to how long your grandchild is allowed to visit you ....i.e. 3 days, 1 week, or other. But, it seems everybody from everywhere is moving in to those communities in Delaware....and not because they think we're great people and want to be with us! It's because of the low real estate taxes and no sales tax.

Last edited by rdlr; 05-13-2008 at 06:22 AM..

Old 07-01-2008, 06:24 PM

4 posts, read 17,232 times
I think a properly ran HOA could be a good thing. But we just sold our home where the HOA got WAY out of control. We had all of our landscaping etc. approved by the former board and controlling HOA authority. Then about a year ago a predominate religious group of people took over the board. They began sending out notices of things that had to be changed. Going to the board with our approvals meant nothing. The answer was well that was wrong and you will have to do what we say. I asked the people on the board to come out and explain exactly what they wanted. They told me and said I needed to draw out a plan. They denied it after it took a month to get it looked at even though it was exactly as they had me write it when they visited. Trying to work with the Architectural committee got us nowhere except fined at $25 every two weeks then the fourth fine was $200 every two weeks. I looked into legal action but found there was little or nothing that could be done.
So having this happen to an HOA not only ends up costing a lot of money but it makes it hard to love your neighbors.
I have come to the conclusion that entering into this type of agreement may not be wise because you never know what is going to happen with the boards. Ours went from Great to some type of totalitarian mini government.

Old 07-01-2008, 06:32 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azishot View Post
I think a properly ran HOA could be a good thing. But we just sold our home where the HOA got WAY out of control. We had all of our landscaping etc. approved by the former board and controlling HOA authority. then about a year ago a predominate religious group of people took over the board. They began sending out notices of things that had to be changed. Going to the board with our approvals meant nothing. The answer was well that was wrong and you will have to do what we say. I asked the people on the board to come out and explain exactly what they wanted. They told me and said I needed to draw out a plan. They denied it after it took a month to get it looked at. Trying to work with the Architectural committee got us nowhere except fined at $25 every two weeks then the fourth fine was 200 every two weeks.
This not only ends up costing a lot of money but it makes it hard to love your neighbors.

Never live in an HOA again!
When you have a written approval from the ACC and/or the management company there is nothing they can do to change that approval, but you need to have proof that they did approve it.
We had things that home owners said they were approved but they never could show any approval and in the rules and regulations it is clearly stated what is allowed and what isn't. With written proof the home owner can keep what was approved.
This is how it works with our HOA and I'm on the ACC in ours and ran into these issues....most home owners had things done and only claim they have an approval, but nothing in writing, which was never done....

If it is like you are stating and you had written approval...than I wouldn't change anything and wouldn't pay a dime and let a lawyer work it out....to bad that if you are right all the home owners money will be wasted by some crazy people.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:07 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,018,934 times
I'd love to live under a properly managed HOA. It's the fees that turn me off to the idea. $25 is fine. $300/month (and almost all out here are that high)? No.

I also don't agree that they should have authority to foreclose on your house if you don't pay fees. That's what collection agencies are for, liens, judgments, garnishments, etc. But not to make someone homeless.

I do like certain restrictions:
- No parking on lawn. I love this law. Why do people do this? The grass is to be taken care of, not killed by some vehicle leaking oil and exhaust on it.

- Take care of your lawn. I hate neighborhoods where some people just could care less and let it go brown. It's ugly to look at, I'm sorry.

- No parking on the street. This may seem Draconian, but I like it because some people just don't use the parking they have. Tell your guests to park in the driveway. If you have some party at your place, tell them to carpool.

- Trim your trees. I hate people who let their trees run wild. Trim it down.

- Horrible external colors. You get people, in a neighborhood of brown houses, who feel compelled to paint their houses bright blue. NO.

Some rules are plain silly though, such as:

- No fence. I can understand restricting to certain fence styles, but to ban it? I don't like dogs and drunken frat boys in my yard, nor do I like brats trampling on my grass. I want a fence, period.

- Nothing in the window besides blinds. Uh, what? If it's inside the house what does it matter? I mean as long as it's not something blatantly offensive, what's the problem? So what if I choose to have a Jack-O-Lantern on Halloween?

- No Christmas decorations. I haven't seen this too frequently, but come on. This one's ridiculous. Maybe restrict too much overboard lighting and decorations like some idiots, but to ban them?

- No garages left open. Why not? I can understand banning "garage bands" and stuff, but maybe I'm using the garage to construct something and need air/light.

Again, some rules are good, some are plain silly.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:27 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
HOAs make sense in condo developments. It's not just common areas - it's also common utilities, storm drains, etc.. and the ability to do building-wide exterior improvements, improve parking lots, etc. at a reduced cost to each member compared with doing a similar improvement to a house. I get that.

I don't want an HOA in charge of my house, though. The city's blight ordinances take care of most of the important things - can't park your car in your front yard or on the sidewalk, can't park a commercial truck over 5 tons on residential streets, must complete repairs on your car within 48 hours if it's in a driveway (project cars need a garage), can't store trash bins in your front yard unless they're enclosed, vacant lots must be properly fenced, etc. Sensible stuff.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:41 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
I'd love to live under a properly managed HOA. It's the fees that turn me off to the idea. $25 is fine. $300/month (and almost all out here are that high)? No.

I also don't agree that they should have authority to foreclose on your house if you don't pay fees. That's what collection agencies are for, liens, judgments, garnishments, etc. But not to make someone homeless.

I do like certain restrictions:
- No parking on lawn. I love this law. Why do people do this? The grass is to be taken care of, not killed by some vehicle leaking oil and exhaust on it.

- Take care of your lawn. I hate neighborhoods where some people just could care less and let it go brown. It's ugly to look at, I'm sorry.

- No parking on the street. This may seem Draconian, but I like it because some people just don't use the parking they have. Tell your guests to park in the driveway. If you have some party at your place, tell them to carpool.

- Trim your trees. I hate people who let their trees run wild. Trim it down.

- Horrible external colors. You get people, in a neighborhood of brown houses, who feel compelled to paint their houses bright blue. NO.

Some rules are plain silly though, such as:

- No fence. I can understand restricting to certain fence styles, but to ban it? I don't like dogs and drunken frat boys in my yard, nor do I like brats trampling on my grass. I want a fence, period.

- Nothing in the window besides blinds. Uh, what? If it's inside the house what does it matter? I mean as long as it's not something blatantly offensive, what's the problem? So what if I choose to have a Jack-O-Lantern on Halloween?

- No Christmas decorations. I haven't seen this too frequently, but come on. This one's ridiculous. Maybe restrict too much overboard lighting and decorations like some idiots, but to ban them?

- No garages left open. Why not? I can understand banning "garage bands" and stuff, but maybe I'm using the garage to construct something and need air/light.

Again, some rules are good, some are plain silly.
I pay HOA fees for more than one property and most are not higher than $ 95.- a month.

We can have Christmas decorations and the HOA even gives out prices for the best decoration (silly to me...but okay)

In 2 of the communities we have the no garage door open and I wish we had it in this community too. My neighbors garage is like a trash can and the part I have to give them a compliment about is how they are able to stack it so that nothing is falling out....they have a car in there with holes and can't drive and on top of that....to much to mention...and more people have such a mess, not a little mess, but like a dirty storage compartment....so I rather see the doors close.

Yesterday another neighbor packed up their belongings and left and stopped payments....not because of losing their job, but because she wants a divorce. The house is kept very nice, but now she turned off all the utilities and left without her husband knowing since he is away for a few days....so another foreclosure coming up and she stopped the HOA payments as well, so does that mean we have to pay more...well I hope the HOA will foreclose first so we don't have to pay more. Couldn't she wait and pay everything and try to put the house on the market and sell....no, just left and asked other neighbors to help carry the stuff out of the home.
IMO, there is not other option than an HOA foreclosing, since people are getting to easy on walking away or not taking care of their homes. Some people only pick up their newspapers (which they pay for) after receiving a letter from the HOA about too many papers in the driveway...or isn't aprox. 10 newspapers nice to have laying around....and time after time they need to be reminded.....don't they see it when they step out and into their car and having 4 kids walking over the newspapers and not picking it up...what is this learning the kids...trash is okay..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate