Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 09:59 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,302 times

Advertisements

Didn't allow solar panel or a shed in your own home? No thanks to you Mr. HOA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 12:25 PM

41 posts, read 81,221 times
choices? you sign a contract when you buy a home to honor and obey the CCRs. That contract is automaticly renewed every ten years, you have the choice to stay or move, the CCRs live on in continued uninterrupted existence, that is more like prison and less like a democracy. There are no Choices.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:30 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflyrobin View Post
choices? you sign a contract when you buy a home to honor and obey the CCRs. That contract is automaticly renewed every ten years, you have the choice to stay or move, the CCRs live on in continued uninterrupted existence, that is more like prison and less like a democracy. There are no Choices.
No choices?

Choice #1: Buy a home in an HOA.
Choice #2: Stay or move.

And lets not act like this only exists in HOAs. We have laws that act the same way. And those can change at any time.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:08 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Making impossible to validate claims in no way helps your cause. Now if you have some data to back-up some of these claims I would love to see them.

"Short sales of HOA property happen all the time - just to escape the outrageous pettiness of it all"

Or perhaps they are just like every non HOA short sale.

"Maybe new housing sales are in the dumps because all these new neighborhoods have HOAs"

Or maybe all housing sales are in the dumps and it has nothing to do with HOA.

"This is a grave trend for HOA property values"

I have seen reports saying HOA actually help houses hold value.

Honestly I don't care either way. Buy in an HOA. Don't buy in an HOA. I have lived in both. What I don't like is when people try and take away choices from other people.
But, what you say you don't like is the very definition of an HOA, which exists to limit choices. So, do you or do you not like it when people try and take away choices from other people.

I'm also having a bit of difficulty in understanding how you could possibly think that saying that one personally does not like HOAs or that one would never, ever live in one given the choice but that that choice is becoming more and more difficult to be allowed to make, and giving the reasons why, is the same as taking away the choice of someone who DOES want to live in one of the myriad of HOA neighborhoods that exist and are sprouting up all the time.

It just doesn't compute.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
But, what you say you don't like is the very definition of an HOA, which exists to limit choices. So, do you or do you not like it when people try and take away choices from other people.

I'm also having a bit of difficulty in understanding how you could possibly think that saying that one personally does not like HOAs or that one would never, ever live in one given the choice but that that choice is becoming more and more difficult to be allowed to make, and giving the reasons why, is the same as taking away the choice of someone who DOES want to live in one of the myriad of HOA neighborhoods that exist and are sprouting up all the time.

It just doesn't compute.
So you don't see the difference between voluntarily buying a house in an HOA and agreeing to follow the rules and someone else wanting HOAs to be abolished and taking the right away from those who want to join one?

If I voluntarily join a gym and agree to follow the rules is a very different situation than someone wanting gyms to be banned because they make you follow rules.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:24 PM

475 posts, read 571,061 times
You don't own the property in a gym, you're just using the building/equipment. Big difference.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So you don't see the difference between voluntarily buying a house in an HOA and agreeing to follow the rules and someone else wanting HOAs to be abolished and taking the right away from those who want to join one?

If I voluntarily join a gym and agree to follow the rules is a very different situation than someone wanting gyms to be banned because they make you follow rules.
I'm wondering if you're reading the same thread I am, frankly. Also, regarding the word "choice", to quote a famous giant, "You keep using that word. I don't think that word means what you think it means."

Most of the people here aren't demanding that HOA's be banned, though quite a few would like some reins (similar to the ones put on actual governments, for example, which HOA's like to act like) put on their powers. That doesn't seem like a whole lot to ask, to me, and it certainly isn't denying anyone the choice to live in an HOA community (except perhaps HOA Boards and Management Companies that might not be able to do whatever they want whenever they want).

A lot of us (including me) have been saying, READ THE CCR's BEFORE YOU BUY. That's not demanding that HOA's be banned, unless you believe that if people actually read them before they purchased that HOA neighborhoods would disappear due to attrition. Do you think that?

So where are you getting that people who complain about HOA's and say they, personally, wouldn't live in them for various reasons are demanding that they be banned? I don't eat at McDonald's, and that's certainly not demanding that McDonald's be banned. Or do you see that as the same thing, too?

Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 PM

41 posts, read 81,221 times
there is another side to this issue, you understand the deed restrictions, you have lived in the same house for 25 years, a new board President takes over (not elected appointed) all of a sudden "harmony and consistensy" appear out of thin air, like magic a new standard. How much money would/should a homeowner spend to defend their rights to live by the deed restrictions as written? The deed restrictions you signed up to honor and obey...like magic...smoke and mirrors..a new standard, not defined, not written, a standard never mentioned in 25 years. How can an Association, a board of elected upstanding members of your community, enforce the unwritten deed restriction.? The answer is in the Texas Property Code not the CCRs

§ 204.010. POWERS OF PROPERTY OWNERS' ASSOCIATION.

(6) regulate the use, maintenance, repair,
replacement, modification, and appearance of the subdivision;

(21) exercise other powers necessary and proper for
the governance and operation of the property owners' association.

The rules and laws do not protect your home, the American Dream is a cash cow for Association attorneys

Last edited by butterflyrobin; 07-13-2010 at 03:11 PM..

Old 07-13-2010, 03:20 PM

There are actually people in this thread who have said buying a a house in an HOA is like spitting on the graves of our veterans and make you a communist.

If my responses sound harsh it is because of people like that. Like I've said before, I don't care if people don't like them. I don't care if people love them. But at least respect other people's opinions. So I apologize if some of my comments come off as harsh to everyone. That isn't my intent.

Although I stand behind my statement that no one has a right to complain about an HOA they voluntarily joined.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:29 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
You guys always seem to fire up one of these HOA threads the day after I have to attend the monthly meeting of one of them (no I'm not a member, I'm representing the Town administration).
Last night's wasn't bad so I have no criticism today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate