Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 08:47 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We bought in a older community years ago with no HOA. There were covenants that were decades old that no one had followed and the developer was long gone. Lo and behold, last month new strict covenants were filed with the county. A few residents that made them up were able to get 50% of the homeowners to sign off on them. The rest of us were not notified that a legal document had been drawn up or a vote was being taken until it was all over.

It says any neighbor/neighbors can sue other neighbors for breaking the new rules. I'm in shock that this is legal. It certainly isn't ethical.
Well, your neighbors, in an effort to control whatever they think they need to control, got together and formed a de facto HOA without telling those who they felt might have objected.
Welcome to an "HOA run community".
Now that your neighbors have done this, chances are you only have two options:
1. Live with the new rules and the new HOA board of directors.
2. Sell out and move. If they didn't bother to let you know what was going to take place, they won't miss you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 10:03 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, your neighbors, in an effort to control whatever they think they need to control, got together and formed a de facto HOA without telling those who they felt might have objected.
Welcome to an "HOA run community".
Now that your neighbors have done this, chances are you only have two options:
1. Live with the new rules and the new HOA board of directors.
2. Sell out and move. If they didn't bother to let you know what was going to take place, they won't miss you.
There is no association, no board, no elections. When I checked with our state senator's office last year, they said you couldn't be forced to join an HOA that was formed after you purchased your home, that those would be voluntary and rules applied only to those who joined. This is just neighbor suing neighbor.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:23 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
There is no association, no board, no elections. When I checked with our state senator's office last year, they said you couldn't be forced to join an HOA that was formed after you purchased your home, that those would be voluntary and rules applied only to those who joined. This is just neighbor suing neighbor.
So, nothing new then...

Old 07-06-2015, 07:39 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,972,072 times
Quote:
So, since you were not advised of the new rules, and did not join the group that created them, they actually do not apply to you, and have not become part of your deed?
Then it appears you do not have a problem. Your neighbors can not sue you for violating rules that you had no part in creating, and did not agree to!
It sounds like you can sit back, live, love, laugh, and be happy, and let the neighbors fight it out amongst themselves! "Cain't hardly beat a deal like that!"

Old 07-06-2015, 09:07 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
y'know, I can do all those things, and if I would call my realtor tomorrow and list this place, I bet it would sell within 30 days, at approximately a 50K profit!
But, the difference between us, I guess, is that I did NOT buy this place to sell, I bought it to live in until I die.
"Mini-farms" like mine are in high demand, and an HOA would not enhance the value. In fact, given the type of person who is looking for such properties, an HOA and strict CCRs would damage the value!

EXACTLY.

dont people sty put anymore?

I have been living in my apartment (co-op) for 28 years, Im not moving anytime soon.....I finally have it exactly the way I want, time to enjoy life and slave to a home.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:54 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
So, since you were not advised of the new rules, and did not join the group that created them, they actually do not apply to you, and have not become part of your deed?
Then it appears you do not have a problem. Your neighbors can not sue you for violating rules that you had no part in creating, and did not agree to!
It sounds like you can sit back, live, love, laugh, and be happy, and let the neighbors fight it out amongst themselves! "Cain't hardly beat a deal like that!"
Wrong

If there were Covenants/Deed Restrictions then they are not extinguished by lack of non-enforcement. They still exist and are enforceable. Granted in some states unless renewed, they cease to exist but that is another subject.

If the Covenants/Deed Restrictions said they could be changed with more than 50% approving said changes, then they were updated properly (according to the poster) and they are now being enforced against all. This entirely legal.

I question how over 50% of the owners knew and approved such but the poster had no idea. Talk about being out of touch.

Last edited by johngolf; 07-06-2015 at 10:08 AM..

Old 07-06-2015, 12:02 PM

9,857 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Wrong

If there were Covenants/Deed Restrictions then they are not extinguished by lack of non-enforcement. They still exist and are enforceable. Granted in some states unless renewed, they cease to exist but that is another subject.

If the Covenants/Deed Restrictions said they could be changed with more than 50% approving said changes, then they were updated properly (according to the poster) and they are now being enforced against all. This entirely legal.

I question how over 50% of the owners knew and approved such but the poster had no idea. Talk about being out of touch.
This handful of neighbors had been talking about changing the covenants for 3-4 years. Each year at the neighborhood picnic, they would bring it up and everyone else would say they weren't interested in changing it. They kept coming up with ideas for different rules every couple of months and would say they were going to talk to each homeowner to get their opinions. They didn't talk to most of us on our side of the neighborhood. I spoke out at last year's picnic and also went to the county last winter to see if they had filed anything yet. It would have been nice to see, give input and vote on the finished product. I'm not positive that anyone actually saw what they were voting on.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:28 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,660,566 times
Quote:
y'know, I can do all those things, and if I would call my realtor tomorrow and list this place, I bet it would sell within 30 days, at approximately a 50K profit!
But, the difference between us, I guess, is that I did NOT buy this place to sell, I bought it to live in until I die.
"Mini-farms" like mine are in high demand, and an HOA would not enhance the value. In fact, given the type of person who is looking for such properties, an HOA and strict CCRs would damage the value!
Good for you. Mini farms are not regular homes in a community. Those are the ones that would be hurt by no HOAs for resale.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:30 PM

1,318 posts, read 5,271,693 times
Just came back to add that our HOA went down now that all the homes have been built. I do love our neighborhood,so i guess all in all,,i dont mind the HOA!

Old 07-11-2015, 08:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
This handful of neighbors had been talking about changing the covenants for 3-4 years. Each year at the neighborhood picnic, they would bring it up and everyone else would say they weren't interested in changing it. They kept coming up with ideas for different rules every couple of months and would say they were going to talk to each homeowner to get their opinions. They didn't talk to most of us on our side of the neighborhood. I spoke out at last year's picnic and also went to the county last winter to see if they had filed anything yet. It would have been nice to see, give input and vote on the finished product. I'm not positive that anyone actually saw what they were voting on.
So, go back to the county recorder and ask for a copy of what was filed (if anything) as well as your deed with all attachments/recordings.
Then ask the person who filed it for an accounting of who exactly voted for it, the county may just have that information as well, I'd have to believe some kind of proof other than "trust me we voted" has to exist.
They'd have to have a list of some sort or proof that a vote was accurately taken then look into it and see if it was on the up and up. Check with some of the people who "supposedly" voted, check with all the homes in your specific area to see if they were given a chance to vote or given any notice about the proposed changes. One would think it would have to be done by registered mail.
If not then go back and ask the county recorder if they know how you can file a fraud complaint and challenge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate