Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 06:25 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times

Advertisements

Spent last weekend in the Houston area looking for homes. Saw about 20. I would say that at least a third of these showings had the seller's agent present and in the case of 2 of them (one of which we went into contract on), the owner was scheduled to be there.

This will be our 6th home purchase and we have never had a sellers agent or owner present. These are homes in the 900K-1.3M range. Is this something that's common? I wonder if it's because of the price point, but that almost seems counterintuitive. So sellers really have to worry about buyers at that price point in their homes?

I think it makes it a bit awkward and uncomfortable. Having said that, the house we are in contract on, the seller built himself (he's a contractor) and was able to give us a personal tour and show off a lot of cool features, which helped put it over the top for us.

Just curious as to other people's experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 06:30 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,785,881 times
Well, since their in the 900K-1.3M range, I would insist that someone be present.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Well, since their in the 900K-1.3M range, I would insist that someone be present.
True, and I get that, but I am putting my home in Denver on the market next week at that price point and it never even crossed my mind to be at a showing. I personally find it to be in poor taste. Having said that, I have never had a bad experience with anything being stolen or damaged at a house I am selling. I do know a lot of people have.....

Old 04-24-2015, 06:48 AM

1,704 posts, read 804,442 times
One of the agents we interview insisted that he'd be there during showing. We didn't pick him. His thought was he knew the house and could better explain. My thought was showings were now dependent on the schedules of the looker, their agent, my agent and us. Way too many variables.

Instead, I put together a 'walking tour' of the house, printed in color on glossy paper, detailing features of each room that might be missed during a showing and which would have been too much detail in the published house ad. 4 offers in 2 days.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:20 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Highly unusual for owner to be present, in my experience.
I went to an open house last weekend and the agent introduced me to the owner. Strange.
Then, I asked the owner: Wjy are you selling?
"Divorce"
If I were a buyer my offer just went down.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:23 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,027,576 times
In my area it's very common for the seller's agent to be present, even at a lower price point, say $700k. There are many old, very old and antique houses (18th, 19th century) and unusual designs. Lots are all large, 2 acres+ and typically complicated with various easements, shared private roads, wetland considerations, etc etc. Such properties greatly benefit from having somebody at the showing that knows the property inside and out.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:24 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,303,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Having said that, the house we are in contract on, the seller built himself (he's a contractor) and was able to give us a personal tour and show off a lot of cool features, which helped put it over the top for us.

Just curious as to other people's experiences.
A house like you've described; it makes perfect sense that the owner was there. Nobody knows that house better than him. Also at higher price points, yes, the sellers want their agent there to offer additional security sometimes, other times there are particular things about the home that benefit from a guided tour. I sometimes have sellers present in lower end homes too; mostly because they are elderly and don't drive or it is a burden for them to leave. In which case, they sit on the back porch or another area giving the buyers a little privacy.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Highly unusual for owner to be present, in my experience.
I went to an open house last weekend and the agent introduced me to the owner. Strange.
Then, I asked the owner: Wjy are you selling?
"Divorce"
If I were a buyer my offer just went down.

Uh huh. That was clearly the case in 2 very nice waterfront homes we saw. One was a situation where they had moved in not long before, she had made most of the decisions about the house, and boom......just up and left. And yes, the phrase "motivated seller" entered our minds.

And, with regards to privacy, in most cases, the sellers agent was very hands off and privacy was not an issue.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:22 AM

991 posts, read 1,519,148 times
I think it also depends on the property type...if it's country property I want the selling agent or owner there to answer questions about wells, septic, zoning, crops, etc.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:09 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
As long as I was not being bird dogged by either the owner or his selling agent I would not care if they were there.

Now if they become intrusive ... that's where it does become an issue.

Like most other steps of the home buying process ... there are pros and cons to most any given situation, including what you described above.

It worked out nicely in your case, in many others I am sure it pushed potential buyers towards the door and onto other prospective homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate