Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:13 PM

43,280 posts, read 77,092,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdocstr View Post
I believe the split is listed in the MLS anywhere you go, NC did not invent that, but if the consumer doesn't know to look for it, they might not notice when the realtor is steering them toward the one with the better commission payout PRIOR TO THEM EVEN DECIDING TO MAKE AN OFFER. But yes I agree it should be disclosed prior to showing, and if a realtor points out the difference he/she gets integrity points. Hopefully those points aren't negated by other shady behavior.
http://reports.oah.state.nc.us/ncac/...8a%20.0109.pdf

Commission is none of a customer's business. It is an agent/client consideration only. If a customer asked me the commission, I could legitimately decline to share it, and say that that information is available to clients only.
The client doesn't have to look for it, which is good, as it is not publicly available to them from the MLS.
And, if the client wants to buy a property that is not on the MLS, the requirement still applies to the Realtor.

NCAR agency forms require a Realtor to establish a stated expected compensation, and the NC Real Estate Commission rules require a licensed agent to notify the client of any variance in compensation from expected. This could be a bonus, or an added commission, or a tiered commission.
The inducement to bring buyers for higher commission is extended often enough, Realtors should be well-practiced in making that disclosure.
I make it if there is a .1% variance, say 2.4% to 2.5%.
And, I recently saw an old listing that said 7% to a buyers' agent. I would certainly disclose that (as the Expected Compensation would never be 7%) and there is a form for documenting that increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:42 PM

304 posts, read 369,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
http://reports.oah.state.nc.us/ncac/...8a%20.0109.pdf

Commission is none of a customer's business. It is an agent/client consideration only. If a customer asked me the commission, I could legitimately decline to share it, and say that that information is available to clients only.
Exactly why I urge anyone to make their real estate team hiring choices (whether realtor, inspector, bank etc) very carefully.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Exactly why I urge anyone to make their real estate team hiring choices (whether realtor, inspector, bank etc) very carefully.

???
When you "hire" you become a client and you get different treatment than a customer could expect.

My role, as defined by regulation and ethics:
I consult with clients. I sell to customers.

The consumer can choose their role, to receive consultation or to be sold.
I didn't make that up. It is fact.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
???
When you "hire" you become a client and you get different treatment than a customer could expect.
You seem to be creating confusion for yourself. I didn't mention anything about "customers".

Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
You seem to be creating confusion for yourself. I didn't mention anything about "customers".
"I believe the split is listed in the MLS anywhere you go, NC did not invent that, but if the consumer doesn't know to look for it, they might not notice when the realtor is steering them toward the one with the better commission payout PRIOR TO THEM EVEN DECIDING TO MAKE AN OFFER. But yes I agree it should be disclosed prior to showing, and if a realtor points out the difference he/she gets integrity points. Hopefully those points aren't negated by other shady behavior."

Well, you said "consumer" and one would reasonably infer that that includes customers and clients, as both are consumers.

When you decide to operate as a customer/consumer, my responsibility as a fiduciary to you is nil. You are asking me to sell you something.
And, no regulation or rule or professional ethic requires that I disclose any compensation to you.

That is not true if you decide to operate as a client/consumer. Then I owe you consultation and coaching. So, hire me and use my skills for your ultimate benefit. This is fundamental in real estate agency, and too many consumers don't grasp the difference between being a customer or a client.

I am not confused. Not at all.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Well, you said "consumer" and one would reasonably infer that that includes customers and clients, as both are consumers.
One could reasonably infer a lot of things if they entitled themselves to do so. It doesn't mean anyone said or implied it. Should one reasonably infer that you approach legal documents with the same level of self-approval of interpretation?

Old 04-24-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
One could reasonably infer a lot of things if they entitled themselves to do so. It doesn't mean anyone said or implied it....?
Yes, in this case, surely it does. De facto, you said it and you implied it. You failed to speak with knowledge, clarity, precision, or skill, or you would have been more careful in your verbiage.
As with several other points this evening, you just don't recognize the implications of most of the stuff you are saying.

Many consumers, whether they are ever customers or clients, stand to learn more about real estate agency in this thread than you do from the good information I have posted along with Bo,, because most people come here to read, and learn, and to have questions answered. And, that help is routinely delivered.
It is clear why you are here, and it is none of those reasons.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:04 PM

Quote:
De facto, you said it and you implied it.
Wrong.

Quote:
It is clear why you are here, and it is none of those reasons.
Anyone who takes a moment to read my posts in the thread, in order, will see exactly why I'm here. To address the original poster's topic. Thankfully, when anyone reads my posts, they will be able to assess the information with the knowledge that I'm not here to drum up business for my services.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:40 AM

Quote:

Anyone who takes a moment to read my posts in the thread, in order, will see exactly why I'm here. To address the original poster's topic. Thankfully, when anyone reads my posts, they will be able to assess the information with the knowledge that I'm not here to drum up business for my services.
and LOL

Why would one try to dilute helpful, honest and intelligent input with a sneer about "drumming up business?"
Why would it be undesirable for someone to contact an honest and skilled person if they desire honest and skilled services?
Why would it be laudable for readers to be misled with poorly founded information and rampant non-sequitor posts just because the presenter declaims they are not here to "drum up business?"

Whether one would interpret the motive to be to drum up business, to troll, or to navel gaze, shouldn't readers get accurate and intelligent discussion in lieu of being misled for the mere sport of misleading and poking at agents thoughtlessly?
I think so, but perhaps that is another area where we differ.
If even one CD visitor would honor me with the consideration of contacting me for being knowledgeable about real estate agency, brokerage, transactions, and the concomitant dynamics, one can only hope that a much, much larger number would also benefit from my exposure of misleading posts and linked articles.

Why am I even still trying to help you? "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."
Might just be time to fall back on that one.
I am satisfied that the OP got good information regarding their concerns, and will defer to the OP to ask further questions.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:32 AM

5,882 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Services like AngiesList place a much greater level of unbiased accountability on service providers and give you a voice if things go wrong.
Unbiased? Do a search on them and see how contractors can "pay for play". Here is one from Forbes
Why Consumer Reports Says You Can't Trust Angie's List - Forbes

For the OP - can you post an example or two of what the original inspector missed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
View detailed profiles of: