Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 07:30 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
I've lived in a townhouse and there's more to it than just being detached. We had a front yard and a back yard and a side yard.
Every townhouse I've seen were all attached. They were like row houses and the only people who had side yards were at the end. A townhouse is generally two stories, sometimes with a basement or attic and attached. They may call a small non attached home a townhouse but it isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 07:53 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Zero lot line detached home. Detached means....it's not attached.

Is it an I home? Look up the style.

There are places where this design and I style have been common even decades ago. Allows for more homes on the block.
My hometown is filled with houses like this, and they were built in the late 19th century. We just called them houses.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:22 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
OP said it was built to the property line on one side. One of the side yards would be the neighbor's yard.

Oops! My bad. So for now it's a zero lot line house and when it's neighbor is built it will be a townhouse.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:30 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Oops! My bad. So for now it's a zero lot line house and when it's neighbor is built it will be a townhouse.
I would say that the neighbor's house will be to the other side of its lot, with that house's side yard between the two. If they were meant to be townhouses, they would be built with a party wall, not two exterior walls.

The block of houses I share an alley with are built that way - with a yard on on side of the house only. It's funny, those houses are twice as big as my half of my duplex, and half again as expensive, but I think my yard is slightly wider! They squeezed one extra house on the block by having them with a zero lot line on one side but they still got teeny tiny yards. All the houses in the area have side yards only, no backyards.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:52 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,074,084 times
ive seen it called both zero lot line and detached townhome depending on the context. Detached townhome usually implies the driveways and sidewalks are shared, whereas zero lot line means your neighbors yard abutts the wall of your home, with no shared property.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:56 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,621,027 times
Quote:
You're the second one to call this a "zero lot line" home. How can that be if there are two side yards?
Based on what the original poster said in the first post: "built to the property line on 1 side and other side very narrow btw"

Old 04-30-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
My hometown is filled with houses like this, and they were built in the late 19th century. We just called them houses.
I just happened to be looking at a friend's home town with tons of homes like this too. They call the style I-homes. I think this might be the same style as the first picture although not sure, not seeing the back of it.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:03 PM

Quote:
All the other houses will probably be zero lot lines as well. So everyone has the one side yard. In this case, a small side yard. In some other cases, I've seen zero lot lines with a larger side yard, maybe a little patio to sit out on or a bump out in the house.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
I just happened to be looking at a friend's home town with tons of homes like this too. They call the style I-homes. I think this might be the same style as the first picture although not sure, not seeing the back of it.
I believe you're correct that the architectural term for the style is I-house, so named for their prevalence in "I" states like Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa. On narrow city lots, they were turned, so the gable end faced the street, but the basic layout was the same. I do not believe there is a special name reserved for them in real estate listings. They're just houses. A row house is something completely different. Think Baltimore or Philadelphia. In modern building, I think of a townhouse as attached on at least on side. I lived in an end-unit townhouse in the suburbs of Baltimore. We had both a front yard and a backyard, but we shared a wall with our neighbor.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:18 PM

89 posts, read 83,059 times
I have clients that just bought this identical house haha! 30x140 lot, 90's built, surrounding homes all similar but nicely treed and well kept. Initially they were dead set against these types of homes and continually asked me to show them less than stellar bungalows with larger frontage. I snuck this home in a search one day and with the interior reno's the owners did, and nice layout, I could tell these nice young buyers were impressed. It took a week or two for them to warm up to the idea but they eventually offered and closed and were very happy! So OP, don't start a pissing contest. It's a house. Period. No shared wall, yard, driveway, etc. Single family dwelling. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate