Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 03:12 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,041,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
You know the story about the snake who hitched a ride on the turtle crossing the river and got bit. After doing the snake the favor. And the snake said "Hey, you knew I was a snake".
For future reference, it's an Aesop's fable about the scorpion and the frog

AesopFables.com - The Scorpion and the Frog - General Fable collection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 10:28 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Carol

Assuming you were the rental agent, you seem rather naive and inexperienced in all this. I hope you are a quick learner.
I have to agree. Sounds like an inexperience property manager/agent who mishandled the situation resulting in the mess. The tenant just may end up getting a windfall payment from the landlord. We'll probably next read a post on how to defend oneself from a lawsuit by a property owner suing the manager over negligence.

Old 05-07-2015, 09:59 PM

5 posts, read 6,122 times
Rabrritta & Johngolf, what would you guys have done differently?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:39 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
The second the tenant made any compliant, I would have asked for the items in writing. If anything they said remotely sounded like or if the tenant mentions safety, hazard, unhealthy, I would have immediately hired my own licensed contractor to inspect and repair the dangerous situation the tenant complained about. If the tenant claimed mold, I would have hired a mold inspector to test and if toxic mold was found, remedy the situation.

Assuming you were responding to the tenants claims of a hazardous, unsafe or unhealthy situation, you had every right under NC GS § 42-42; to entered the premise to make those repairs. IT'S NO LONGER THE TENANT'S CALL WHEN THEY YELL FIRE! The fact that it sounds like you sat on your hands and did nothing is probably why the case was handled as a retaliatory eviction.

This is a classic case of a person ignorant of the law letting the tenants control the events. Nobody to blame but yourself.

Now, you would have the right under NC law to sue and recover damages from the tenant as allowed by NC GS § 42-51. However remember you must follow the 30 day deadline for the accounting. You will be able to deduct from the security deposit actual property and financial damages but based on what you said, the court has already voided the rent the tenant owes due to habitability. This means the court may refuse to include any and all rent owed due to the prior court ruling.

You do not need advice from the internet, you need a qualified attorney handling this from now on.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:14 AM

12 posts, read 61,117 times
I think you and the tenant ended up in a pissing match because after making them get rid of their dog, you tried to sue for additional rent once they told you they were moving. You admit that there were some problems with the unit (and it smelled due to dead mouse in the wall--yuck), and when he told you to keep the security deposit for last month's rent--you would have been better off letting them vacate and doing just that. By suing for additional rent, you initiated legal proceedings and opened up this can of worms, and now they feel they need to hit you right back.

Also, you brought up in your posts that he didn't cut the lawn, and there is dirt on the windows/siding makes me wonder if you have reasonable expectations for what the tenant is responsible for. At the end of the day, he doesn't own the house, will not keep it in pristine condition and I think it's silly to expect them to. Not sure what your relationship is to the owner, but you both sound a little bit over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate