Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 01:37 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,724 times

Advertisements

Adrian4488 - Thanks for posting the ad. It makes it so much easier to visualize. Living in a small home can be wonderful; what everyone has been posted is true. A walkable location in the center of town can make your life much easier, especially when it will shorten your commutes. That being said, I think if you hold off and look around a little more, you can find a better house. The deal breaker for me is the fact that it is a slab house. I would hold off and get a home with a basement. For that price, you should be able to find a home with a basement and a bigger kitchen. It will pay off in the long run. Good luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 01:44 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,953,679 times
What's wrong with a slab house? Seems to me most basements are nothing but trouble!

Old 05-05-2015, 03:40 PM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What's wrong with a slab house? Seems to me most basements are nothing but trouble!
I think it depends on the location. In my area I cannot imagine a house being built without a basement. The only basement-free homes are trailer houses jacked up on chassis rather than permanently installed. If the house was missing a basement not only would it be 1/2 to 1/3 smaller than comparable homes, but it would also be terribly cold and inefficient in the winter. The answers would be significantly different if one lived in, say, New Orleans with its high water table and mild winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate