Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2008, 07:05 AM

63 posts, read 284,657 times

Advertisements

Is there any reason why one day I can be looking at a posting for a house and see 10 pictures and on the next day, they've removed all the pictures and I only get to look at one?

I was wondering what the reasoning behind it would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 AM

333 posts, read 1,063,366 times
Default My guess...

My guess is that if you have a picture of every room in the house...why bother going to see it in person? You've already seen everything you need to see. I think people want to put out a few key pictures to pique interest...and draw people to come and see the real thing in person.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:26 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,941 times
Agents can explain this better, but when I was selling my house, I know some photos appeared/disappeared/changed due to software problems or updates.

Just my opinion -- but as a buyer I tend to look askance at listings that have less than 6 photos, and dismiss those with less than 4. Of course, if the house specs are interesting, I'll make an effort to find the house on other websites, because sometimes more photos are posted elsewhere. With gas prices hovering around $3.20 in my area, I'm not going to drive around looking at houses until I see enough photos to convince me it's worth the drive. Visual tours are the best!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:53 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigwamei View Post
Is there any reason why one day I can be looking at a posting for a house and see 10 pictures and on the next day, they've removed all the pictures and I only get to look at one?

There could be a number of explanations (including software issues), but one possible reason would be that the listing expired with the original agent and the new agent hasn't gotten their photos in yet. Some agents take "interim" pictures themselves (frequently just one) and then wait for their virtual tour photographer to send them good pictures to add to the listing. This can take a number of days. My MLS also offers a service where they will take an exterior picture of the listing for you. In the old days (a couple of years ago) that's all that went onto the listing. Some agents still do things this way.

If it is a case of the listing transferring from one agent to another, it's entirely possible more photos will go up in the next few days.

Old 01-18-2008, 02:23 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shigwamei View Post

Depends where you're looking. The MLS public site? Realtor.com? Some third party advertising site? Ads expire, pictures get changed. Perhaps, with the change of season, the listing agent took down obviously dated photos, and hasn't gotten all the new ones up yet. Call the listing agent, or ask yrou buyer agent to call, and find out where you can go to see all the photos.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:44 PM

631 posts, read 2,444,963 times
I pull pix and add them all the time depending on the feedback from callers. I do find, too many pix of land, no reason to call, but more pix for houses seems to work best.
I think it's time for me to pull some pix. of land.

I have one house online w/o pix of the bathroom. It is Impossible to get pix of that bathroom! Woudn't you know? I get calls on the house with request for the bathroom pix more than anything. They love the house, the land and everything about it, stare and stare at the website, go back to it, forward the link, but darn it! Where are those bathroom pictures! Funny. I think I'll leave them out. It gets me calls.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:11 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,098,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
Agents can explain this better, but when I was selling my house, I know some photos appeared/disappeared/changed due to software problems or updates.

Just my opinion -- but as a buyer I tend to look askance at listings that have less than 6 photos, and dismiss those with less than 4. Of course, if the house specs are interesting, I'll make an effort to find the house on other websites, because sometimes more photos are posted elsewhere. With gas prices hovering around $3.20 in my area, I'm not going to drive around looking at houses until I see enough photos to convince me it's worth the drive. Visual tours are the best!
Right on, Boomerang! I agree with you completely. Well said.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:11 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,772 times
Perhaps you're looking at my house. When our realtor took our listing, we gave her 20 pictures of the interior of our house that were painstakingly shot but she didn't use any of them. Instead she came in with her $30 camera and snapped about 100 pics any old way. She never used my pics because she said her IT man needed to get them right from the camera. When her pics of the inside of my house on realtor.com, I went nuts. The colors were garish, the house looked cluttered, and they were just not portraying my house in the right light. I've since asked her to pull all pics with the exception of the exterior pic. I'd rather have no pics and leave the interior of my house to the buyer's imagination than misleading poor pictures.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
Perhaps you're looking at my house. When our realtor took our listing, we gave her 20 pictures of the interior of our house that were painstakingly shot but she didn't use any of them. Instead she came in with her $30 camera and snapped about 100 pics any old way. She never used my pics because she said her IT man needed to get them right from the camera.
You're dealing with an agent there who is not particularly techno savvy. What's unfortunate is that her IT guy is either just as inept, or they've decided to not spend the money on buying a scanner. In fairness to them, they probably have few occassions where it would be useful, but they really ought to be able to work around it when necessary.
Scan the photos yourself if they are really that good. If you don't have a scanner, you can get it done at any of the local office supply stores, or a kinkos. I think maybe even Wal-mart or Target has a kiosk these days where you can scan photos. Then just give her the CD. Her IT guy ought to be able to handle if from there.
Is it unfortunate that she can't accomplish this rather simple task? Yes it is. But don't let it kill the marketing effort.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:08 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
She never used my pics because she said her IT man needed to get them right from the camera.
That's absolutely ridiculous. Do as Bill Keegan suggests. Get your photos scanned and onto a CD then let her know you expect her to add those pictures to the MLS and realtor.com by no later than the next day and that you'll be checking the realtor.com listing and you expect her to send you an updated MLS report. Photos are too important a component of marketing to disregard. If she's not competent to take decent photos herself and for whatever reason she can't or won't use your photos, then, in my opinion, she should be willing to shell out the money to get a professional to come in and take pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate