Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:42 AM

5,048 posts, read 9,613,201 times

Advertisements

Hmmm. The charges other than commission for Remax agents is the office bill for ...well, their office. (Used to be all Remax agents kept all their commission but paid the office rental fee which covered utilities and support staff answering phones, bookkeeping, etc. usually in a nice office, nice lobby.

Now it seems there a many Remax agents who are on the usual commission split...what is arranged between realtor and broker/owner...50/50, 60/40, 75/25.

There is also a fee to the Remax corporate office. Can't recall exactly but for things like national advertising.

So may somewhere in there is the excuse for the $495. However, typically anything beyond commission is the cost of doing business as a realtor and shouldn't be forced on a client. Maybe just maybe attempted...but not forced.

Cross it out or go eslewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 10:10 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,671,421 times
I was charged a transaction fee when I bought a house in 2012. I was furious.

The realtor said, "Well, we have to keep the lights on somehow." Other people have told me that their realtor said it was for document storage. I've heard other reasons for it.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:28 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,660,310 times
Well, if I were you, it would be a cold day in hell before I paid it. And that's speaking as someone who works in real estate. :-)

Old 05-08-2015, 10:40 AM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
Lets be clear folks.

People in the USA pay vastly more to sell or buy than most other developed/ industrialized countries.

example my home sale in the EU my fees were.... wait for it.

1.5% or 2.5% if you include the other side of the transaction.

yep of course there were taxes and government fees etc. But the total fee was 1.5% plus a couple of hundred in real documented costs. (the buyer pays for their own attorney)

That includes a real estate attorney too.

my listing agent got .5% (some people pay more like1%)
My attorney got 1% (some people pay a little more or less, I had a costly one , but very good)

so before some nonsense agent pretends it really needs to be 5%...

we do it for much less, provide a full service and closed hundreds of millions of transaction over the decades just like the USA. we have attorneys , titles, insurance... we have staging, and complex mortages. We have trillions of dollars in RE and still manage those transactions in a secure, timely and convinent manner for our clients.

the only difference between the USA and most of the EU

in the EU we did not allow a rich and powerful group of cartels take control of the entire industry and let them fix prices like the USA has done.

we did not allow cartels to work to together to fund massive lobbying to avoid competition.

we do not allow it

The people of the USA have allowed vested interests to grab hold of an entire industry and face zero competition. thus the US system has grown fat greedy and is grossly inefficient.

5%-6% vs 1.5% -2.5%

tell me who is getting ripped off, Americans or Europeans...

Old 05-08-2015, 10:42 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Some brokerages, in some places, are imposing a transaction fee, above and beyond the commission on sellers and sometimes buyers, too. It typically goes to the brokerage, not the listing agent. I have seen them range between $350-750.

I used to be affiliated with a national brokerage that did so. I ate it and eventually departed for a different brokerage.

Consumers have a choice.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:20 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Real estate is practiced differently throughout the world and within the US.

In the UK, one does not need a license. Most " estate" agents are low salaried with modest incentive bonus. The agent represents the seller. The buyer is unrepresented. The concept of the MLS and co-op is limited to mostly higher end. The concept of a buyer's agent does not exist and is generally limited to the US and Canada.

Imagine having to search hundreds of websites for a home, assuming the broker has one and then contacting individual agents whose job it is to represent the seller without any pricing transparency.

Hop over to France where about 50% of real estate transactions are FSBO, sold within the family or to business acquaintances. People have a greater tendency to stay put.

Or how about Russia where commissions range 5-10%.

Within the US, the most common regional commissions are 5-6%, split between the listing and selling brokerages and then split again with the listing and selling agents.

Transparency is a huge variable within the US The real estate lobbies in some regions in some regions in some states work to ensure that closed sale prices are not public information.

There is no such thing as a fixed commission in the US.

A retainer for services with an hourly rate is one compensation model. When given a choice, most people opt for a traditional relationship.

And then there is always FSBO or where lawful, limited service flat fee listers.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:18 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Lets be clear folks.

People in the USA pay vastly more to sell or buy than most other developed/ industrialized countries.

example my home sale in the EU my fees were.... wait for it.

1.5% or 2.5% if you include the other side of the transaction.

yep of course there were taxes and government fees etc. But the total fee was 1.5% plus a couple of hundred in real documented costs. (the buyer pays for their own attorney)

That includes a real estate attorney too.

my listing agent got .5% (some people pay more like1%)
My attorney got 1% (some people pay a little more or less, I had a costly one , but very good)

so before some nonsense agent pretends it really needs to be 5%...

we do it for much less, provide a full service and closed hundreds of millions of transaction over the decades just like the USA. we have attorneys , titles, insurance... we have staging, and complex mortages. We have trillions of dollars in RE and still manage those transactions in a secure, timely and convinent manner for our clients.

in the EU we did not allow a rich and powerful group of cartels take control of the entire industry and let them fix prices like the USA has done.

we did not allow cartels to work to together to fund massive lobbying to avoid competition.

we do not allow it

The people of the USA have allowed vested interests to grab hold of an entire industry and face zero competition. thus the US system has grown fat greedy and is grossly inefficient.

5%-6% vs 1.5% -2.5%

tell me who is getting ripped off, Americans or Europeans...
Well thank God you are over in the EU and don't have to worry about being ripped off by our shady real estate industry.

Old 05-08-2015, 03:52 PM

1,825 posts, read 2,826,494 times
Quote:
There is enormous competition in the real estate business. OP could say 'no thanks' and take his business to another realtor who won't charge that fee.

Recently, buying new construction with a realtor we've used before and liked, we explained that we didn't feel there was as much value in representation on new construction (not that the builder would give us much of a break) and to keep our business, the realtor lowered her commission.

There are lobbying groups on the state level that restrict supply (by adding roadblocks to getting a real estate license, for instance) but even with 'restricted' supply I have never seen a shortage of realtors, or one brokerage dominating a market. There's no 'cartel' nonsense about it. I don't have anything against another country doing it differently, but it sounds like somebody has been drinking the kool-aid.

Old 05-08-2015, 04:28 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,393,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Well thank God you are over in the EU and don't have to worry about being ripped off by our shady real estate industry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquitaine View Post
I don't have anything against another country doing it differently, but it sounds like somebody has been drinking the kool-aid.
It sounds like somebody struck a nerve.

Old 05-09-2015, 12:09 PM

20 posts, read 59,434 times
I questioned the realtor again, asking "What specific service does the brokerage fee cover?"
Reply was "Hey, nothing specific for that fee. Just something we collect."

Yeah...forget it. I'm going with someone else.

EDIT: Forgot to mention they also tried to get me to pay a $350 fee for a buyers agent referral program, above market deed and title, and way above market preinspection "program".

EDIT 2: They're also telling me to list the property for 20% more than everyone else is, and lock me into a 12 month contract with an $800 cancellation fee on a rental property that I would have to carry unoccupied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate