Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 05:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,311,226 times

Advertisements

I think the island in front of the window is a good idea. Right now that is unusable space and it doesn't add that much openness to the kitchen (it's not as if someone could sit there). I'd get a visually open cart (wide as possible and with less depth than the cabinet) on wheels. I would move the microwave there, extending the open counters on either side of the stove. Don't put too much else on the cart, to enhance the point you have already successfully made: you have more storage space than you need. (And you'll be able to take a wheeled island to your next house.) Here are some ideas: I especially like the one called Stenstorp. It would really match your style.
Kitchen Islands & Carts - IKEA

I think what storage additions you'd make by adding shelves to the wall perpendicular to the fan wall would be more trouble than the project was worth. Just move the paper towel holder, as others have already suggested. If your pictures looked nice there, put one of them back.

I like to cook and I'm one of the people who prefers a smaller kitchen where everything is in easy reach. I think the size is less of a deterrent to your sale than the fact that it is closed off from the other rooms. So many people today want to have communication with people in other areas of the house while they are cooking.

If you've staged the rest of the place half as beautifully as you've staged the kitchen, your house must look great. I'm sorry you're having such a problem. Best of luck to you finding the right buyer. I have no doubt one could cook up a storm in this kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 05:29 PM

879 posts, read 1,659,529 times
Again, I'm very grateful for everyone's feedback and well wishes!

Unfortunately, our second showing for tomorrow has to reschedule until next week due to work. I am losing hope that that will pan out into anything...so, onward and upward, I guess.

Would a shelf like this be appropriate? The brackets look a little long, but I'm having trouble finding something in the right style.

EKBY ÖSTEN / EKBY HENSVIK Wall shelf - IKEA

Old 05-12-2015, 05:38 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Again, I'm very grateful for everyone's feedback and well wishes!

Unfortunately, our second showing for tomorrow has to reschedule until next week due to work. I am losing hope that that will pan out into anything...so, onward and upward, I guess.

Would a shelf like this be appropriate? The brackets look a little long, but I'm having trouble finding something in the right style.

EKBY ÖSTEN / EKBY HENSVIK Wall shelf - IKEA
That's the look that's selling. It's going to be difficult to get a dinner plate on it, though, due to depth. You may be better off cutting your own wood. Although I've seen deeper shelving at ikea. Let me check. But you could get away with them if you stage it with bowls/cups/saucers, not plates. Here's what I meant in terms of aesthetics:

open shelving kitchen

open shelving kitchen

Old 05-12-2015, 05:49 PM

True - and I think I'd prefer the depth that would fit cups or bowls more so than plates, just with the overall size of the space.

Also, thanks everyone for giving me a new obsession with open shelving, which our new house does not have room for

Old 05-12-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
True - and I think I'd prefer the depth that would fit cups or bowls more so than plates, just with the overall size of the space.

Also, thanks everyone for giving me a new obsession with open shelving, which our new house does not have room for
Sorry about my links. But just Google open shelving kitchens. Honestly, you could have a totally different kitchen for around $300. It's really about pulling it all together with the rug, roman shades, the shelves, and the accents on the shelves. If you could do that cheap, DIY window seat, you'd be golden. I know you hate doing all this just to please the picky buyers, but it's the cheapest way to go. As an aside, I've noticed that buyers are just getting odder. I had someone on the second floor of a colonial, and they asked me if the house was a ranch style home!

Last edited by LoveBeingAMommy; 05-12-2015 at 06:08 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 06:02 PM

Yeah, I keep finding gorgeous photos but not many sources to buy (unless we try to construct ourselves). My husband was saying that if we buy planks and paint them, the edges will take the paint differently and won't look nice (which I get). I may start doing some searches for DIY open shelving to see what's suggested there as a good route to making them.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I keep finding gorgeous photos but not many sources to buy (unless we try to construct ourselves). My husband was saying that if we buy planks and paint them, the edges will take the paint differently and won't look nice (which I get). I may start doing some searches for DIY open shelving to see what's suggested there as a good route to making them.
I would think if you used a high gloss paint, and sanded the edges/sides thoroughly, you would get a consistent look? Yeah, look at the videos. IKEA used to have gorgeous, thick white shelving. I'm having trouble finding it. Must be discontinued.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:44 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
I also would use that space in front of the window and move the microwave. Some kind of butcher block work space with storage underneath placed in front of that window might add additional space to someone with counter/storage concerns.

Maybe something like this keeping with your cabinet color???

http://www.amazon.com/Baxton-Studio-...r+block+island

Old 05-12-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
I would think if you used a high gloss paint, and sanded the edges/sides thoroughly, you would get a consistent look? Yeah, look at the videos. IKEA used to have gorgeous, thick white shelving. I'm having trouble finding it. Must be discontinued.
Such a bummer - I don't see it either, but maybe I'm not using the magic search words. I'm willing to try planks, though.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Such a bummer - I don't see it either, but maybe I'm not using the magic search words. I'm willing to try planks, though.
Here it is! Found it on a great decorating/organizing site (which you'll fall in love with!).

First link is to the ikea shelf.

Second is to the decorating site so you can see how it looks (shelves are in laundry room).

LACK Wall shelf - IKEA

IHeart Organizing: IHeart My Home - Home Tour!

If you wrapped around over the sink, you could just butt the shelves together at the corner rather than try cutting them on a 45 degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate