Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 08:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,505,245 times

Advertisements

This is a pretty active thread so I haven't had time to read all comments. How long has your house been on the market? Do you have a deadline? In what part of the country do you live? Are you sure your realtor is bringing clients who are a "fit" for a traditional and classic old home? If they keep bringing young families who expect contemporary designs, you'll probably continue to hear the same lament. I personally think it's completely charming and it looks like its in excellent condition. Can you afford to wait for the right buyer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:07 PM

879 posts, read 1,648,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Here it is! Found it on a great decorating/organizing site (which you'll fall in love with!).

First link is to the ikea shelf.

Second is to the decorating site so you can see how it looks.

LACK Wall shelf - IKEA

IHeart Organizing: IHeart My Home - Home Tour!

If you wrapped around over the sink, you could just butt the shelves together at the corner rather than try cutting them on a 45 degree.
Aw man - it's too long for the space right over the sink. I think that space is about 34" and I don't think those shelves could be cut to size. I saw there's a smaller one but it's still 41" I think.

If floating shelves work, I'm sure I can find floating shelves - I just was having a hard time finding shelves with the more farmhouse-style brackets. I don't know whether you can just attach brackets to the bottom of floating shelves. I guess I don't see any reason not, but it's just not something I've messed with.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:10 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,976,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Aw man - it's too long for the space right over the sink. I think that space is about 34" and I don't think those shelves could be cut to size. I saw there's a smaller one but it's still 41" I think.
That...stinks!

You'd be able to cover that wall exhaust with shelves, too. That'd be a bonus.

I've seen people retrofit Ikea products. It's called Ikea hacking. But I've never seen people properly cut and reaffix the sides.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:33 PM

11,011 posts, read 10,961,923 times
Quote:

If floating shelves work, I'm sure I can find floating shelves - I just was having a hard time finding shelves with the more farmhouse-style brackets. I don't know whether you can just attach brackets to the bottom of floating shelves. I guess I don't see any reason not, but it's just not something I've messed with.
You can find shelf brackets at Home Depot or Lowes. If you choose to use your own wood for shelves but do not want a raw edge, just add trim pieces (1x's) to the front to 'box' it out and finish it off.

You can also find floating shelves at so many places. They're even easy to make.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:36 PM

Yeah, floating shelves I figure should be quite easy, but I didn't know if it really needed the brackets to give the proper look people were suggesting.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:37 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,505,245 times
Quote:
We kind of "have" to sell in that we already own another home. However, we are able to carry both, so it's more of a nuisance than a financial disaster.

We actually did have someone interested who wanted to put in an offer, but due to a recent job change, she's having trouble getting the approval squared away. She was told she needed to be in her new job through July and then she will come back with an offer because she loves the house. Fingers crossed.
I missed this before, rent with option to buy?

Old 05-12-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
I missed this before, rent with option to buy?
Nah...I've seen too many houses ruined by renters around here, sadly.

Old 05-12-2015, 08:45 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,020,768 times
Quote:
Yeah, floating shelves I figure should be quite easy, but I didn't know if it really needed the brackets to give the proper look people were suggesting.
I think floating shelves look too modern.

Something along these lines would be great although this is too wide.

LIATORP Wall/bridging shelf - gray - IKEA

Old 05-12-2015, 09:56 PM

573 posts, read 579,858 times
Your agent is dead wrong. The microwave needs to move for it to appear to have more counter space. I think the wine pictures are fine too.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:05 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,976,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Your agent is dead wrong. The microwave needs to move for it to appear to have more counter space. I think the wine pictures are fine too.
Which brings us around to the realtor. I don't mean to be rude, but if he/she is telling you the kitchen is ready to show, and the microwave is good, I'd wonder about that agent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate