Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 07:50 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
This is a really good idea except why not get an island to sit in front of the window next to the sink?
That would give you more counter and a great view.
That window is too low to put anything in front of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 07:53 PM

879 posts, read 1,660,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildColonialGirl View Post
Sorry, I posted more while you were answering!

I looked at the pic again. How old are the cabinets? They look 40s or 50s? Are they built in place? If you could get them off the walls I'd be very tempted to swap the oven side ones for the fridge side ones to stop that wavering back and forth effect. Is there a door back next to that open shelved pantry? Could it be blocked off?

I was hoping you'd say it was a half million dollar house.
Why do you want it to be a more expensive house?

I'm not entirely sure how old the cabinets are I suspect they are built in place but would need to go scrutinize. I'm not quite following the suggestion there - do you mean having shorter cabinets next to the oven?

The open shelved pantry area does not have a door there - it's open to the dining room (with the door to the basement in between).

Old 05-10-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
That window is too low to put anything in front of.
That's what I keep worrying about whenever people suggest an island or counter there.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:55 PM

Can you take out one of those shelves that are to the right of the paper towel holder and put the microwave there?

Old 05-10-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Can you take out one of those shelves that are to the right of the paper towel holder and put the microwave there?
Yep, or at the bottom. (The shelves get larger as they get lower - I used to keep my stand mixer there at the bottom).

Old 05-10-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the super open concept thing that is so popular right now. I don't want total closure between rooms (our kitchen has two pass-throughs to the dining room) but I prefer more delineated space than what most of the flips seem to be doing.

This is the dining room - I like having a distinct living room and dining room, but they aren't totally closed off.
That dark green wall color next to the dining room is really strong and dark and makes a room look smaller. I prefer neutral earth tone light colors with maybe an accent color wall.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
That's exactly what it was. I've been trying to find old photos showing it as it was back then but haven't had luck yet.
That would be great to have enlarged or as a collage in the kitchen.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
I love that big window! It makes the place feel more spacious, plus it contributes a lot of natural light. I wouldn't make it smaller just for the sake of adding counter space. That storage closet/pantry off the kitchen also is a great feature. I'd remove the microwave.

I might have opted to have wall-mounted cupboards above the sink, and on the wall that's by the pantry, instead of the big unit between the fridge and the window, so that the counter opposite that could have been wider. But that would be too expensive a change, at this point.

I appreciate the fact that the kitchen is a separate room, instead of being combined in a big open living-dining room, like so many homes and apartments these days. But a lot of people now expect a huge open space, so those are the people who are turned off by your kitchen. Have you tweaked the price a little?

Old 05-10-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I love that big window! It makes the place feel more spacious, plus it contributes a lot of natural light. I wouldn't make it smaller just for the sake of adding counter space. That storage closet/pantry off the kitchen also is a great feature. I'd remove the microwave.

I might have opted to have wall-mounted cupboards above the sink, and on the wall that's by the pantry, instead of the big unit between the fridge and the window, so that the counter opposite that could have been wider. But that would be too expensive a change, at this point.

I appreciate the fact that the kitchen is a separate room, instead of being combined in a big open living-dining room, like so many homes and apartments these days. But a lot of people now expect a huge open space, so those are the people who are turned off by your kitchen. Have you tweaked the price a little?
We have - we've come down $20k on a house initially listed at $239k. A slightly smaller house down the street is under contract after being listed at $230k.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:04 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
That's what I keep worrying about whenever people suggest an island or counter there.
It depends on what kind of island you get. You can get ones from catalogs that have a back to them below the countertop, so that nothing will fall onto the windowsill or bump against the window glass. If you could get a shallow one, it might not be a bad idea.

By the way, it looks like a beautiful house! Very spacious rooms, other than the kitchen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate