U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 AM

5 posts, read 44,700 times

Advertisements

Hello, I hear this is something people can do from their home as an independent contractor. Lot's of agents are very busy and do not like the paperwork side of real estate. I love the paperwork side of anything really and I have some real estate experience. I would love to get more information and advice on how I could possibly become more familiar and eventually very good with this process without having to work for someone full time and on a set schedule. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you! I am located in Denver, CO btw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 11:46 AM

3,672 posts, read 8,026,028 times
I use a transaction coordinator for all my contracts. It's a great benefit to me. Mine is a contractor for our company, so she sits at our office and is there to help. She gets paid from my commission when I close a deal. She does have her real estate license. I'm not sure if that's required, but all our transaction coordinators are licensed.

Old 05-13-2015, 11:50 AM

Thanks for sharing Nina! I am licensed in real estate (I just haven't practiced it for long), so that would not be a problem if it's a requirement. I wonder if the office provided training, or if she already had real estate experience and that's how she learned the process.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:46 AM

3,672 posts, read 8,026,028 times
I would go talk to some local brokers and ask them

Old 05-14-2015, 06:20 PM

203 posts, read 329,019 times
Redfin is often looking for transaction coordinators as they grow.

Old 05-14-2015, 08:30 PM

4,516 posts, read 3,815,705 times
There are lots and lots of virtual assistants in real estate. I was one for seven years before I went solo with a top agent and ended up getting my license. I had a desk at a large real estate office, and worked with 25-30 agents at a time, with everything from database management to marketing, to listings and contract-to-close. I wasn't licensed, so I couldn't show homes or do open houses (this state doesn't allow showing assistants) -- which was fine by me! :-) I got into the job after a team I had worked for ended up having to cut back due to the husband's illness, and then suddenly, I had agents coming out of the woodwork asking me if I could "just do a listing" or "could I do a flyer for them", etc. I had worked for the couple for two years, and they had trained me on the systems of the company they worked for -- before that, my background was in database management, real estate marketing and mortgaging.

Instead of starting from scratch, look around (heck, ask some real estate agents!) for good companies that handle work virtually. There's several around here that do a good job -- they were usually started by successful virtual assistants who ended up with assistants of their own. Many have dozens of people working for them, almost all from home. It would give you training on what the different companies expect in terms of listings, closings, etc., give you a good idea of how to price yourself on the market, and most of all, give you an idea if you can cope with the crazy deadlines. :-) Our contract-to-close assistant currently has 92 contracts she is monitoring on her own. The woman is exhausted, but it's feast or famine. :-)

You can always draw up a flyer, list some prices and drop them off at real estate offices. Pinpoint a few offices you might like to work with, and ask them if you can attend one of their weekly office meetings to introduce yourself. But most agents aren't interested in training you -- the ones that need a virtual assistant are too darn busy to stop and train one. That's why a year with a virtual assistant company might be a good training ground.

You NEED to have some reliable systems and be religious about your billing, as well have a good billing system in place. Never forget that your time and talents are worthwhile -- just because it comes easy to you, doesn't mean that it has no value. Consider using a credit card swiper like Square or something similar. For first time clients, it's cash up front -- they don't earn an account for 30-60 days. And no, I NEVER was paid out of an agent's commission -- there's no guarantee that it will sell, after all. :-)

For a tongue-in-cheek look at a virtual assistant's life, watch this: https://youtu.be/PtbSBWNqiH8

If you're good, you're going to end up getting job offers every week. :-)

Old 05-28-2015, 12:06 PM

Thank you so much NinaN, SanRemo!! I appreciate the ideas!

Old 05-28-2015, 12:10 PM

Wow!! That is a lot of valuable information dblackga!!! Thank you so much! I'm actually going to print it all out and look into the Virtual Assistant and Square, and into all those suggestions! Thanks for sharing...I think it sounds like a great idea to get experience and knowledge that way. Because you are right, a lot of busy agents do not have the time to train.

Hopefully I can get good at it soon!

Take care,
Carla

Old 03-23-2016, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 10,459 times
Hi ~ Would any of you be willing to virtually train a transaction coordinator? I have a terrific person wanting to learn to help our firm....

Old 04-27-2016, 03:51 AM

15 posts, read 20,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissCLady View Post
I would love to get more information and advice on how I could possibly become more familiar and eventually very good with this process without having to work for someone full time and on a set schedule. Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you! I am located in Denver, CO btw.
Hi, MissCLady. My sister was also a beginner in real estate, she knows foreign languages and decided to deal with overseas property. It was hard at the first, clients can be very exacting and want ideal houses for ideal price. But now she loves her job. Now she works in Germany and sell foreign holiday homes in Spain, Italy, Cyprus and other popular destinations. Recently she showed me an interview with the girl my sister called "russian version of me". Maybe the article will be encouraging for you, too.
https://tranio.com/world/site-news/how_to_become_a_first-class_sales_manager_-_interview_with_yulia_dorokhina/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate