Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 08:29 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,471 times

Advertisements

Good question, i mean house purchasing as i have narrowed down our choices to around 10 houses already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Do you mean your 'house hunting process' or 'house purchase process' (per OP)?

If you are hunting, there should be no reason that you are not already looking. If it is a purchase of an existing home, you will need to firm-up your offer within about a week following the inspection.

We put an offer on a short-sale before our existing home was sold/closed ... thinking, 'the bank will take at least a month or so, to finalize approval on the short sale'. Wrong! They were ready to close within a week -- but, we weren't. We were able to bail out, but, could have been in a tight spot (I didn't want to get back into a dual mortgage spot). In any case, we lost the place -- and now, the market price has increased by almost $200K in 2-years). It's one of those "can't win for losing" situations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Would prefer buying a "Resale" as their are quite a few good deals down NC.
Thats our preference but i need some guidance when to go down and pull the trigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Are you planning on buying a resale.......or going new build in NC?

I know you were looking for a place to rent.

My answers would be different for resale vs new build.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:32 AM

Thats our preference but i need some guidance when to pull the trigger. Problem with renting for awhile is we have a Golden Retriever and most short term rentals don't allow pets. Can't keep dog in a kennel for 3 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Are you planning on buying a resale.......or going new build in NC?

I know you were looking for a place to rent.

My answers would be different for resale vs new build.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:33 AM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
Rent, rent, rent, rent, rent!

Rent for a year, get a feel for which community you like.

If you're hellbent on buying, start looking once your contracts are signed. I noticed that NC seems to not frown upon contingency contracts. So I'd try to put that clause in. Best to ask a NC pro.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:34 AM

We will be moving to either Southport or Ocean Isle Beach, and yes, I most definitely will be using a buyers agent.
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
Where in NC are you moving? In the RDU area, it's a seller's market and a seller may be reluctant to accept a contingency contract. But, you should certainly start looking online. And, for goodness sakes, definitely get an agent to help you when you get here.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:23 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscman View Post
Thats our preference but i need some guidance when to pull the trigger. Problem with renting for awhile is we have a Golden Retriever and most short term rentals don't allow pets. Can't keep dog in a kennel for 3 months
I know that you're moving to the Southport area, but just in case you're in a pinch, there are definitely rentals in the Triangle area that accept dogs on a 3 month lease. Far better alternative to boarding! (I hope that's not what you need to do I, but shoot me a DM if it comes down to doing that.)

Old 05-23-2015, 01:24 PM

Thanks Jk, appreciate the assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I know that you're moving to the Southport area, but just in case you're in a pinch, there are definitely rentals in the Triangle area that accept dogs on a 3 month lease. Far better alternative to boarding! (I hope that's not what you need to do I, but shoot me a DM if it comes down to doing that.)

Old 05-23-2015, 01:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
It might be a little soon but I would still start now. Since it costs you nothing to use an agent as a buyer, and especially since you are moving to a new area, why not get yourself an agent to help you through the buying process? The agent will be able to help you find the right place at the right price and in the right location....and the seller pays.
THAT ^^^. And I'm not a Realtor. I'm just a person who has bought houses in other states. It's hard enough to buy a house in a place where you've lived for years and know the area well (I've done that, too, with and without a Realtor).

Old 05-23-2015, 01:38 PM

687 posts, read 915,547 times
Notice how the real estate agents are telling this poster to "use a real estate agent" and honest, more sensible posters are telling the guy to rent for 6-12 months in the new location.

Interesting, and it's a trend I've noticed on many, many threads.

I agree with renting for a year. That gives you PLENTY of time to scope out good neighborhoods and particular properties you find interesting. It also gives you time to get established at your new job.

With price cuts across the board in most areas of the country renting will probably be financially beneficial for awhile. Don't take the REA's advice, because according to them "now is" always "the best time to buy" and they will always encourage you to use the services of another member of their cartel.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:44 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Notice how the real estate agents are telling this poster to "use a real estate agent" and honest, more sensible posters are telling the guy to rent for 6-12 months in the new location.

Interesting, and it's a trend I've noticed on many, many threads.

I agree with renting for a year. That gives you PLENTY of time to scope out good neighborhoods and particular properties you find interesting. It also gives you time to get established at your new job.

With price cuts across the board in most areas of the country renting will probably be financially beneficial for awhile. Don't take the REA's advice, because according to them "now is" always "the best time to buy" and they will always encourage you to use the services of another member of their cartel.

OP knows exactly the area he wishes to move - near family already there. The only reason to rent for a year, paying someone else's mortgage, is if he is unable to find a house now.

I'm not a realtor, broker, or in the business in any way and I think the only sensible thing to do is to find a Buyers' agent NOW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate