Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 06:22 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times

Advertisements

Where's the OP? What was the original complaint, that they had a dog? By all means, spend a fortune on your new home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 06:42 AM

297 posts, read 573,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Do not put that in your offer. I would run far away from you if I was the seller!
So would I. I have two dogs and a cat, and I actually plan to install new carpet in the bedrooms before I list (we'll be moving out first) but only because it's the original, 13-year-old builder's grade carpet that looks terrible now. But if a buyer asked me to replace the 3-year-old high grade carpet in the formal rooms, I'd refuse.

Paint? Well, I'll be painting the baseboards and shoe molding before listing. But the walls? Absolutely not. It's neutral and in good condition. I can't imagine what my pets could have possibly done to the walls that would require new paint.

Buyers get so weird about pets. My former neighbor had no pets, but her home was filthy due to her undisciplined kids - stained carpets and furniture, walls with dirty hand prints, sticky tables. But we don't hear buyers freaking out about houses with kids.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:22 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
First of all, why would you put carpet in a home, period, Carpet is 1980s,

If you put carpet in a home with pets you are just wasting money. I would rather have linoleum than carpet with a dog or cat.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
First of all, why would you put carpet in a home, period, Carpet is 1980s,

If you put carpet in a home with pets you are just wasting money. I would rather have linoleum than carpet with a dog or cat.

Uh, because some people like carpet?

Old 05-23-2015, 08:53 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
The OP should build new so they don't have to worry that a pet might have lived there.

Old 05-23-2015, 09:35 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,462 times
OP should also keep in mind that "According to the 2015-2016 APPA National Pet Owners Survey, 65% of U.S. households own a pet", the vast majority being dogs and cats. 37%-47% of all American households own a dog (specifically).

Pet Statistics | III
https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/pet-statistics

So the chances of being interested in a house with a dog are pretty high. Are you going to ask for new carpet from every one you find?

Old 05-23-2015, 10:30 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
If there is dog smell you would have been able to notice when you walked in. I was looking at a home and as soon as I walked in the living room there was dog smell. If it was a better home in a better area I would not let dog smell deter me, it goes away with cleaning and airing out the home. People don't let their dogs pee on the carpet. I have 2 small dogs. We do 2 walks a day, I have a pee pad in the bathroom for them, they can use it to pee if they have to, such as when I have to walk them early to go out in the evening. They can poo on them, but normally don't. Plus their poo dries hard and is only the size of a double A battery. The floor is tile, but in the area of the weewee pad I took a tarp and gued 9 vinyl floor tiles to it. It's over the tile floor and I spray it with vinegar and water afterwards because vinegar is what breaks wee molecules the best. I have wood laminate floors that would be damaged by standing pee and they've never had an accident on it,
Uhm...it's great to know what YOU do...and YOU certainly take measures - so I guess I'd buy your house.

HOWEVER, many people don't care at all what their dogs do and let their dogs pee everywhere...and hey, carpet it just soaks in so what's the bother? Ewwwwww...but not a surprise considering the other stuff people do.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:22 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast123 View Post
Thank you... appreciate it! Will the seller pay for new carpet and paint, if we add that clause?
I would not. There are so many buyers who have dogs. I have sold houses before as a dog owner. Never encountered a problem.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:26 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
OP should also keep in mind that "According to the 2015-2016 APPA National Pet Owners Survey, 65% of U.S. households own a pet", the vast majority being dogs and cats. 37%-47% of all American households own a dog (specifically).

Pet Statistics | III
https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/pet-statistics

So the chances of being interested in a house with a dog are pretty high. Are you going to ask for new carpet from every one you find?
Exactly my thought. It is actually more normal to have a pet - than not to.
Most dog and cat owners do not "let their animals pee all over the place". There are dirty home owners who are pet free.

New construction is another idea.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:34 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ast123 View Post
Hi!

We are considering purchasing a home where the seller had a dog. I am not sure which breed, but I was wondering what would be the best way to completely clean and sanitize the house. Thinking of changing the carpets, getting new paint and a thorough deep cleaning - any other tips?

I am not too fond of dogs and the mess they make, so if there's no best solution, then we'd rather not consider this property at all.

Thank you!
You would be better off to not purchase this home and keep looking for a home that has had no animals in it.
With what you have written above no matter what the seller agrees to do you will not be happy with it because you will always imagine some non existant issue related to the fact that there was a dog in the home.
Save the sellers time and yourself aggrivation and keep looking.

PS ~~ Not all dogs make a mess in the house because they share the home with responsible adults who train them to do all their business outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate