U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 11:59 AM

3,639 posts, read 2,295,867 times

Advertisements

I've lived in a manufactured home for 25 years and it was built in 1972. Its all wood, no sheetrock or stucco so it would burn faster if it ever caught on fire. Some refinance companies don't want to refinance a manufactured home more than 30 years old. Other than that its fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 12:00 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,768,153 times
As someone who has renovated a 2004 double-wide from scratch I can tell you that they are pure garbage. We stripped the vinyl siding and replaced it with metal. In the process I realized that my "outside wall" was basically quarter inch thick cardboard. I proceeded to add the insulating styrofoam panels (they come in 4x8 ft sizes) and then put the metal on. Just attaching the metal to the mobile home was tough - the vertical strips in the walls seemed to be a 1x3 and then every so-and-so feet you get a 2x4. The windows are all single pane. Quite a few leaks under sliding door, entry door etc. which rotted out the 2x8s in the frame of the home - had to replace portions and re-enforce. Most corners not square, once you take the inside vertical strips covering the joints of the drywall sheets, you realize that some drywall sheet edges stick higher, some lower. Some are cut shorter, some longer. Then there is the drywall itself - quarter inch thick garbage impossible to repair short of replacing the whole sheet. Quality of manufacturing was just atrocious overall. Underside of the mobile home serves as a great place for all sorts of varmint, cats love it too, skunks etc. The vinyl touching the ground breaks down quickly, we replaced everything with metal. It's like putting lipstick on a pig...

Most everything in our mobile home is non-standard dimensions. The entry door was all rotted out and needed to be replaced. A decent entry door (fiberglass) in Home Depot can be had for $200. Not so for mobile homes, styrofoam crap entry door is about $400+. We had to make the entrance larger to fit a "real" door. Windows all single pane garbage - costs money to warm in winter and cool in summer. You can fit the home with a pellet stove I suppose and I highly recommend doing so to save on heating bills. If you are in a dry/warm enough climate (like the SW), you should go with an evaporative cooler for cooling, not A/C. Anyways, at this point our mobile home almost looks like a real house - Pergo flooring, fresh paint, nice baseboards, painted ceilings, pellet stove, solar panels, so on and so on. Ready for new owners. Next house I buy will be a "real" house - preferably made out of stone or adobe (real adobe not the fake frame homes stuccoed to look like adobe). If I decide to build myself, either stone or adobe or maybe shipping containers...

At the end of the day, no matter how much they make them today to resemble "real" site-built homes, they are still mobile (you can call it manufactured but still same process as what used to be known as "mobile home"). When you try to sell it, people will price it accordingly. I know I will avoid them for the future.

There is another angle to consider: read and weep Warren Buffett's mobile home empire preys on the poor | Center for Public Integrity

Last edited by ognend; 05-25-2015 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 PM

6,124 posts, read 7,322,675 times
Out of curiosity I checked out financing on mobile homes. The term for this lender could be 5 to 23 yrs. The lowest rate was 6.99% at a time when stick built homes are running in the high 3's. Minimum $20K, no mortgage insurance needed.

https://www.21stmortgage.com/web/21s...ation!OpenForm

Here is another relevant article. It points out that you will probably never be able to finance one that has been moved.
http://www.realtor.com/advice/buying...-need-to-know/

Old 05-25-2015, 04:38 PM

5,989 posts, read 10,727,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
People in the industry say that a modular home is the equal of a stick built home that just happens to be put together in a factory...the reality is that a modular home is the equal of a mobile home that just happens to be assembled on site. They will not appreciate like a stick built home, and when it comes to resale banks are much more careful about making loans on them for this reason.
You're making generalizations & some of it is completely incorrect. A modular home can't be placed in a park. A bank frankly can't tell the difference between a stick-built home and a true modular home, because modulars are always permanently attached to a real foundation on owned land. Trailers/mobiles are personal property & come with a title, just like a car. Modulars do not come with a title. There are a few modulars that have a steel frame. The only problem financing a modular home is when an idiot home inspector or realtor tells the banker it's a mobile/trailer.

As for quality - lol.. i'd be interested in seeing what happened to your stick-built home if someone put it on a carrier & dragged it down a highway @ 60mph for a few hundred miles.

My parents live in a modular that was built to the same exact building code as stick-built homes - the "BOCA" code. You wouldn't be able to spot the differences unless I told you what they were. It's almost 15 years old, with no problems whatsoever & it's so efficient you could heat it with a wet dog.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:06 PM

8,679 posts, read 7,669,534 times
Manufactured homes/mobile homes are built to a certain standard, that is not the same as a stick built home.

A modular home is built to the UBC codes the same as stick built homes. In fact they are usually stronger, as they have to be built to stand being transported on trailers to the home site. They come in sections. The build these sections for homes from lower price range, to actual huge mansions. They also build them for apartment houses, and Condos. As it is much cheaper to build modules in factories, and transport them to rural areas than it is to build on site, some of the most expensive ski resorts in the nation, selling for through the roof prices to people with lots of money, are putting in condo developments using modular units. They can be built in half the time as building stick built homes.

Example of modular mansions. Modular Mansions

Epoch Homes Modular Mansions Photos

If the quality did not match or beat stick built, the people that buy these homes would not buy them.

Examples of apartments and condos that are modular construction.

Modular Condos and Apartments

Building homes in modular factory and installing them on property, is the fastest growing sector of home and multiple unit construction.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:48 PM

763 posts, read 2,230,247 times
We recently wrestled with trying to make a decision between ordering a small, custom double-wide home or having a home stick-built on property we own next door for a disabled family member. While concern over diminishing my own property value was foremost in our thoughts, we were primarily trying to get this done quickly and leaned strongly toward the manufactured home for that reason alone. We visited a dealer, selected the plan and made our 'custom' changes (2x6 exterior framing, all 2x4 interior framing, higher roof pitch, etc) but the quoted price for just the 1400sq/ft house was unreal - around $95k and that DID NOT include the permanent block foundation as required by county code, water, septic, or and other lot improvements.

Fortunately, we found we have more time to get this family member moved so I contacted several local custom builders. We just poured the footers for a cute, 1400 sq/ft custom home that will be all brick (instead of vinyl siding) with an attached garage, covered and screened 14x17 back porch and more. The estimated cost? Under $130k for everything, including the builder fee. No brainier for us PLUS the structure will not cause my own home to depreciate.

Now, we are fortunate that we live in an area with pretty low building costs as compared and we already own the land, but we felt the stick built home was the better long-term investment.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:24 PM

179 posts, read 178,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Manufactured homes/mobile homes are built to a certain standard, that is not the same as a stick built home.

A modular home is built to the UBC codes the same as stick built homes. In fact they are usually stronger, as they have to be built to stand being transported on trailers to the home site. They come in sections. The build these sections for homes from lower price range, to actual huge mansions. They also build them for apartment houses, and Condos. As it is much cheaper to build modules in factories, and transport them to rural areas than it is to build on site, some of the most expensive ski resorts in the nation, selling for through the roof prices to people with lots of money, are putting in condo developments using modular units. They can be built in half the time as building stick built homes.

Example of modular mansions. Modular Mansions

Epoch Homes Modular Mansions Photos

If the quality did not match or beat stick built, the people that buy these homes would not buy them.

Examples of apartments and condos that are modular construction.

Modular Condos and Apartments

Building homes in modular factory and installing them on property, is the fastest growing sector of home and multiple unit construction.
Thank you for putting these links on. I had no idea these existed.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:31 PM

963 posts, read 1,042,690 times
Also another type of modular / panel home

Post and Beam Homes by Yankee Barn Homes

Folks, these are often more solid than stick built and SO energy efficient!

Old 05-27-2015, 09:14 PM

116 posts, read 74,686 times
Default It's a good option

I wouldn't purchase a new one, as the price is inflated and higher taxes on it. I've owned three of them. Had no problem selling the first two, the third one I've had for sale four years now and it won't sell, mainly because of location (nothing sells well here). I lived in a '71 Marlette over 11 years that had the original wood cupboards, 3/4" plywood flooring, and the roof never leaked. I lived in stick-built homes that had leaks and problems. Some say a house is better built; well that depends on who built the house, or who manufactured the mobile. A house isn't necessarily any better. As far as investment, I look at it as simply a place to live, and if I get my money back (the great boom of real estate days are over) all the better. These days I can't see having more than necessary invested in any kind of home. Home is where I land, and if that's in another mobile, it's ok by me

Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

3,487 posts, read 1,828,598 times
I am curious why many modular homes are allowed by separate lot owners to attach itself to the lot. What if the lease expires and someone loves the lot and wants to lease it with his/her own mbile home. How can the lot owner even offer the lot with an existing undersired house on it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or