Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 04:10 PM

122 posts, read 271,106 times

Advertisements

I moved to a 2nd story condo last year and last week the owner in the 1st floor unit knocked my door and told me I had a leak in my bathroom. I later found out the toilet flange is unleveled and it could be a reason why it had a leak. By looking into it carefully, I found this 50 years old building moved to the right and pushed the pipe very hard and made the flange unleveled and also caused a hole on the right side of the pipe. Is this a foundation issue? Who should pay for the my unit's impairment and the unit below me?

In my HOA document, it stays:

HOA is responsble for the following:

Repairs to portions of plumbing and sewer lines outside or the boundaries of a Unit (including plumbing and sewer serving only one Unit) except when casued by the occupants of a Unit. Damage to a Unit occasioned by causes initially occurring outside of the Unit (but not consequential damages such as to furniture clothing or personal items). Water lines going to water cut off box in common walls and sprinkler lines

Unit Owner:

All portions within a Unit serving only that Unit including fixtures and appliances attached thereto. Damage to a Unit originating from causes initially occurring within the Unit that are the responsibility of the Unit owner. This includes water heaters, washing machines, dishwashers, water softeners, and purifiers. Water lines into and out from the Unit. Sprinklers lines damaged by previous or present owners.
Attached Thumbnails
Should my HOA be responsble to repair my floor caused by foundation or plumbing?-1.jpg   Should my HOA be responsble to repair my floor caused by foundation or plumbing?-2.jpg   Should my HOA be responsble to repair my floor caused by foundation or plumbing?-3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 05:18 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,616,978 times
Your building moved?

Old 05-30-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
Your building moved?
Maybe there is foundation issue. Either the building shifted or the pipe shifted.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:54 PM

2,444 posts, read 2,762,929 times
Ask them to pay. If they refuse, consult an attorney. But no one on here can give you legal advice or tell you what your HOA will do.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:30 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,616,978 times
If your foundation is moving you have more problems that a toilet flange. If you really think it moved you should look into an engineer for proof. Then decide among all owners and board what is worth it to do.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:29 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Someone can also knock the toilet off to the side as well and not realize it. I know as it happened to me with some teens that were horsing around. Sigh.

I would go ahead and repair it and see if it happens again. It probably costs a lot more than the repair to hire a structural/foundation engineer to check it out. I would also ask your neighbors on your floor if they had issues too.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Someone can also knock the toilet off to the side as well and not realize it. I know as it happened to me with some teens that were horsing around. Sigh.

I would go ahead and repair it and see if it happens again. It probably costs a lot more than the repair to hire a structural/foundation engineer to check it out. I would also ask your neighbors on your floor if they had issues too.
My toilet can't move that way because the water tank is in a tight place. This is the only unit on 2nd floor Thank you for your help any way!

Old 05-31-2015, 08:03 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,787,939 times
Nope.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:11 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,208,988 times
This is not an HOA responsibility. They will likely defend that it originates inside your unit and is a maintenance item that was negligently not noticed.

You most likely will be on the hook.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:31 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,441,479 times
You own from paint to paint, floor coverings to paint. Plumbing in the structure is the responsibility of the HOA. The gasket, commode is your responsibility. The plumbing it connects to is the HOA responsibility.

Ask them to fix it. If they refuse, get an attorney to write a letter. That should suffice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate