Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 11:17 AM

80 posts, read 74,597 times

Advertisements

I pay 2 dolla go 1 house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
find a different house this one sounds like trouble and would not trust there are some bigger things hidden as well possibly ..the old saying goes when in doubt ,run like he** !!!! LOL

Old 06-01-2015, 02:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Sewers are easy. Just install a new one. Yes, you need to dig up landscaping, paving and sidewalks, but then you end up with all new landscaping, paving and sidewalks, with a new sewer to boot. If you don't want to dig up the yard and pay for a new sewer line, don't buy the house. It's that simple. You can either lower your offer and pay for it out of other money, or as someone suggested, offer the asking price and escrow the repair money at closing.

I work for a city. The city's responsibility stops at the sewer. The laterals are the home owner's problem, including the connection to the sewer main. One thing homeowners never want to deal with is their antiquated sewer line. They think their poop just magically disappears when they flush the toilet.

Old 06-01-2015, 03:34 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
And water just magically appears when they open a faucet, too.

Whether the seller is dishonest or not doesn't really mean much as to if you should buy the house or not, IMHO. If/when you buy the house, they're gone and you don't have to see or talk to them again. However, that does mean you can't take their word for anything they say about the house so you'll have to increase the amount of due diligence on your part. If you're not familiar with houses, plumbing, etc. etc. then hire someone who is. And if /when they find problems factor in the repair costs.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:01 PM

98 posts, read 167,291 times
Dodge this bullet - you will be the second one that did. If they had a previous contract, and it fell through because of what was found at inspection - that would make it a no brainer for me. RUN.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:05 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meezermom View Post
Dodge this bullet - you will be the second one that did. If they had a previous contract, and it fell through because of what was found at inspection - that would make it a no brainer for me. RUN.
I'm not understanding this mentality by so many in this thread. So because the first buyers backed out, then the house is just unsellable? No finding out what the problem is, fixing it, or negoatiating for cost to fix, just run, .............. and go find a house without a single issue? Good luck with that.

The problem has not even been identified.

Old 06-01-2015, 04:33 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,665,859 times
I think your instincts are good. Go with them.

If the city was responsible for it, the seller would have had it fixed by now. Just sayin'

Old 06-01-2015, 05:56 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,652,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I think your instincts are good. Go with them.

If the city was responsible for it, the seller would have had it fixed by now. Just sayin'
You are assuming the seller knew there was a problem.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
I'm not understanding this mentality by so many in this thread. So because the first buyers backed out, then the house is just unsellable? No finding out what the problem is, fixing it, or negoatiating for cost to fix, just run, .............. and go find a house without a single issue? Good luck with that.

The problem has not even been identified.
Let the current owners find the problem and fix it. Then they can get a clean inspection. This probably not the only thing they are hiding. Not everyone wants to buy a fixer-upper and then start tearing it apart.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:05 PM

372 posts, read 534,004 times
ALWAYS trust your gut.

If I could not get a clean inspection, I would definitely walk away.

The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.... if there's one thing sneaky, you can be sure there's more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate