Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:41 PM

739 posts, read 2,185,348 times

Advertisements

I'm disabled and work at home. I don't mind being quiet or answering questions if asked, and I'm generally comfortable with strangers, but I realize it's better if the seller is not in the house during showings.

Is it considered a deal killer by realtors if the seller is there inside the house when they bring a client? Any advice or thoughts? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 08:46 PM

76 posts, read 245,375 times
I've been to a few open houses where the homeowner and the realtor where both there. It was extremely awkward. The realtor would follow you through the house, doing their regular sales pitch, and the homeowner would be a few steps behind trying to be unobtrusive.

I don't know if it was a lack of trust on the homeowner's part, but it was definitely a weird situation. I ended up not being interested in the house for other reasons, but I can see how it can potentially turn some buyers off.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 PM

43,264 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
I'm disabled and work at home. I don't mind being quiet or answering questions if asked, and I'm generally comfortable with strangers, but I realize it's better if the seller is not in the house during showings.

Is it considered a deal killer by realtors if the seller is there inside the house when they bring a client? Any advice or thoughts? Thanks.
Be a mouse in the corner, with a pleasant nod and a smile.
Or go out on the deck.
You also might have your agent give a heads-up to Buyers' Agents.

It is less desirable that you are there, as Buyers like to speak freely, but it won't be a deal breaker for most people.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:57 PM

9 posts, read 71,336 times
I bought my first place from a FSBO. It was mildly awkward but it didn't stop me from buying the place.

We tend to spend less time inside if the owners are there and keep all the negative comments to ourselves until we leave. We also felt awkward about opening closets/pantries/etc.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,488 times
Definately don't say anything if you have to remain. What you think was a positive could really be a negative for the buyer.

For example, my wife and I were looking at homes about 10 years ago. We toured one nice home while the owner was there. She generally stayed away, but came around to speak with us from time to time.

During one of those sessions, she told us how convenient the school bus was going to be for our children. It stopped right in front of the house!

First, we didn't have any children at home so bus convience meant nothing to us. Second, I sure as heck didn't want the house where a bunch of juveniles would be hanging out on my lawn, destroying my plants, and raising hell outside the front door of my house for 20 days each month, 9 months out of each and every year. Her valuable input blew the sale for her, but we definately appreciated her assistance.

You may run into something like that, even though you try to stay away from the buyers. If they're smart, they may seek you out and ask questions. It would put you in a bad position to ignore their queries, and it could present a problem if you answered them. It's a lose/lose situation for you.

So, it's not a deal breaker, but it's awkward and can present pitfalls. If you must remain home, isn't there a way that you could go into the front yard so they have access to the property? Perhaps there would be a nice seat on the porch where you could wait. It would be the best thing for everyone, especially you.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:17 PM

1,122 posts, read 4,107,651 times
There was a short discussion about this in a recent thread --- long story short, I've bought a house when the seller was home, and I've sold a house while I was at home during a showing. Tell your agent that you work at home. S/he can give the buyer's agent a heads-up. Ideally your agent accompanies all showings to deflect questions from the buyers and their agent.
Turn on some non-intrusive, pleasant music just loud enough so the visitors can feel comfortable that you won't overhear their conversation. When everyone arrives, respond politely when greeted and go back to working. Pay no attention to the showing. If you are clearly wrapped up in your own work, despite their presence, nobody should feel uncomfortable about 'intruding' on you. Just put on your best professional working attitude and everything will be fine, I think.

Last edited by Boomerang; 01-20-2008 at 10:31 PM..

Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 PM

93 posts, read 292,068 times
Default When the Seller is Home during Showings

It is ok if you are home. Most of the seller agents will tell the showing agent of this in advance. The only thing that I can suggest is that let the showing agent do his/her job. Go on to the deck. Stay out of the buyers way. The buyer and their agent hates when the seller is providing unwanted inputs. Good luck.

Old 01-21-2008, 04:40 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,197 times
I wouldn't knock myself out to disappear every time there's a showing. I agree, it's best to be quiet, but we had a situation where a rogue realtor brought a couple through a house we were selling a few years back and he couldn't tell a light switch from the garbage disposal so we stepped up and took over and sold the house!

Old 01-21-2008, 05:36 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,611 times
Two years ago when we thought we were going to buy a house (didn't, and I am so glad we changed our mind with today's prices compared to then!)...we went to many showings. Some did have a seller at home. It didn't matter so much that I couldn't comment on things because at each house I was busy writing everything down into a notebook, so I would have those negative things written down anyway.

What bothered me was the seller following us around like a puppy dog. It made me feel uncomfortable and if I wanted to stay a little longer in a certain spot, to envision perhaps furniture, or colors, or something I might want to change, I didn't because I felt eyes watching me or they were talking to me and I couldn't concentrate.

If you have to stay home, that's fine. When buyers come in I would introduce myself if I were you, tell them to stay as long as they want, and if they have any questions regarding anything to feel free to come to you because you will be off in this little corner, or outside on the deck, and want to be out of their way so they feel comfortable.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:44 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,010 times
It is not a deal killer to be at home during a showing. My suggestion is, prior to their arrival, go turn on all the lights and open blinds so the home is light and bright.

Greet them at the door, and tell the agent that s/he is welcome to proceed through the home, and you'll keep busy with your work. Then go back to your work and let them have their space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate