Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 07:09 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,601,291 times

Advertisements

There's a house on the market that I like and being a picky buyer, I don't "like" houses very often. My main issues with the house is that the location is ok (but not what I'd prefer), it's listed at the top of my price range (but I wouldn't offer that much anyway), and it's 24 years old (I'd prefer something less than 20 years old). Aside from that, it's nicer than all the other houses I've seen in my price range. Meanwhile, the houses that I really want rarely go on sale, so I feel like I might have to wait another year or more. There's no rush for me to buy right now, although I'd like to buy something this year. I'm just afraid that as soon as I buy this one, a better house will come on the market. I think if this house was really the right one, I wouldn't have that concern. I feel like I'd be 100% ready to make an offer and move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 07:11 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Sounds like it isn't the right one. Top of your budget and bad location are huge factors of regret.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:23 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Why not pick the houses you think you would like and send a card/note to the owners (available through County Tax Assessor site) asking if they are planning or have an interest in selling?

I've done that with some condos and invariably come-up with 2-3 unlisted condos.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Sounds like it isn't the right one. Top of your budget and bad location are huge factors of regret.
I would be willing to pay that much for a similar style of house in my ideal location, but those houses are also only about 11 years old as opposed to 24. I just don't know how long I'll have to wait for one to go on sale. Right now, I'm only interested in three neighborhoods and nothing is currently available. I've been looking for 8 months. I think the 24 year old house would be a good deal if it were 15K-30K cheaper, but I think they might be able to sell it for 10K less than list price.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Why not pick the houses you think you would like and send a card/note to the owners (available through County Tax Assessor site) asking if they are planning or have an interest in selling?

I've done that with some condos and invariably come-up with 2-3 unlisted condos.
Because I don't want to pay more than market price, which I thought is what happens when you express an interest in a (desirable) house that isn't currently for sale.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:36 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
I think the title of your thread says it all.

You're not just buying a house, you're buying a home. If you plan to stay in this house for a long time I would never settle. I might compromise on some features, but if I felt like I was settling, that'd be a no go.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I think the title of your thread says it all.

You're not just buying a house, you're buying a home. If you plan to stay in this house for a long time I would never settle. I might compromise on some features, but if I felt like I was settling, that'd be a no go.
True. But this house pretty much has all that I'm looking for, which isn't usually the case. There are many homes on the market in my ideal location at much lower prices, but none of them are as nice as this other house in terms of layout and room size.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:50 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
When you find your dream home you won't ask for buying advice

Old 06-08-2015, 09:07 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
You need to figure out if you're trying to talk yourself into buying the house or if you're trying to talk yourself out of buying the house.

I use the parking lot analogy a lot with my clients as it's what my mom did whenever she went to the grocery store. There would be a perfectly fine parking spot, but she always wanted to find something closer. She would drive around, couldn't find one, but then the other spot was taken. She would drive around again, see a spot, but keep driving to check to see if something was closer. There wasn't, but that other spot, again, was taken...

People do this with houses all the time, and those people are NOT buyers. You need to decide if you want to buy or not. You can't just keep waiting for the next better thing to come around as you miss out on all the perfectly fine houses in the meantime.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:08 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,197 times
I feel what you are going through. I have been looking for seven months in a hot market and only four have come up that had all of the particulars. Not one of them worked out. I would not settle. I realize that I am being very picky. I am a first time home buyer, single and have absolutely no plans for a family which might necessitate the need for a move. I plan on my first house being my last house. So once I find it i am digging in. It has to have everything I want and I do not want to settle. I would not settle if I were you..keep looking it will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate