Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2015, 12:30 PM

8,575 posts, read 12,395,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
So strange to see this kind of thread in a forum wherein Realtors take their time to answer thousands of dimwit questions for free.
Yeah...stupid threads like these are really boring. lol

It brings out the worst in the trolls who like to amuse themselves lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 12:48 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
If you read the NAR report you will see where the NAR itself stated that Cosmetologists have more training than most realtors lol.
Actually, after I posted that I did a search for state by state requirements for real estate licenses. Seems they all have requirements for a real estate course and a test to get the license, but the length of time for the course (and the difficulty of the test, I'd imagine), varies according to the state. I would imagine that a 2 week realtor's course would be a lot shorter than any cosmetologists course.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:10 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
It could be -hopefully is!- 2 weeks of 9 or more hour days. Just goes to show that not only is real estate local, but the rules that govern the Realtors/brokers are as well.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:21 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,793,565 times
The legal thing is very variable. In Nevada lawyers take a very different role than back east. There role is not to participate in the standard transaction but to be employed when things go wrong. So you generally don't pick up a lawyer for a transaction for a flat fee...generally by the hour and start at $250. Heavy hitters will go over $350.

To some eastern standards Nevada RE Agents practice law. It is specific and narrow but still law. It is not unusual to write clauses for instance that are part of the contract...a thing that would clearly get you in trouble in some states.

And we have a reasonaly extensive education requirement on contracts including regular CE requirement.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:56 PM

10,966 posts, read 21,972,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Actually, after I posted that I did a search for state by state requirements for real estate licenses. Seems they all have requirements for a real estate course and a test to get the license, but the length of time for the course (and the difficulty of the test, I'd imagine), varies according to the state. I would imagine that a 2 week realtor's course would be a lot shorter than any cosmetologists course.
It varies. SC requires a 60 hour course, then passing a 2 part (state and general) exam, then after passing taking an addional 30 hour final licensing course in within the next 12 months. After that there are a required 8 hours of continuing ed every 2 years. Additionally, the license must be "apprenticed" with a broker for 3 years before the agent can apply to be a broker. To become a broker there is another 60 hour test and stat exam.

There is a very low retention rate in the business because it is much more difficult than most anticipate.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:33 PM

6,419 posts, read 1,427,778 times
because it takes no education to become a real estate agent. Anybody can do it. Most realtors are crooks and many are dishonest. They work on commission. I don't trust many of them and don't respect them either.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:28 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
The realtor that I'm using to buy my condo messed up several things on the contract. I had to send it back to her three times for her to get everything right. In my e-mail correspondence with her, she has multiple grammatical and spelling errors. I seriously wonder if she even graduated from high school.

That is not counting the fact that she was half an hour late to my showing. After waiting around for while, I called her up and she told me that she was shopping at Wal-mart and would come by shortly. Okay, why didn't she let me know ahead of time instead of having me standing outside in front of the condo, waiting for her shopping trip to end?

Dealing with such idiotic and unprofessional behavior makes me want to become a realtor because I know I would do a much better job.
Yeah, sounds like the typical realtor and my experience with most of them, especially Redfin. I've used probably six realtors to date.

I knew more about real estate than the contracts than they did. It was no surprise that only one of the realtors I worked with had any college education at all. She had an MBA like me. She was a super star.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:14 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Because every prospective agent is given an IQ test.
Only the bottom 50% move on.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:47 PM

6,471 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
because it takes no education to become a real estate agent. Anybody can do it. Most realtors are crooks and many are dishonest. They work on commission. I don't trust many of them and don't respect them either.
To become a Realtor I was required to take a 20 hour education course and pass a test before I could even take the state test. On top of that, I was required to get approx 20 hours of additional hours of education per year as required by my state MLS.

I know that the requirements are different in each state, but don't assume you know until you have actually have done the work yourself. I do know that there are some unqualified Realtors and some that make the industry look bad. It is not fair to lump the whole industry into the same heap. Working on a commission essentially means that if you don't make a home sale, you don't get paid for the work you do. How is that a bad thing for buyers and sellers?

Trust me, there are also moron buyers and sellers but I am not here to pick on them.

Yeah, no education is required to become a real estate agent.

Last edited by dontaskwhy; 07-18-2017 at 10:00 PM..

Old 07-19-2017, 06:50 AM

6,419 posts, read 1,427,778 times
a 20 hour course and test is much less than a mechanic, lifeguard, or Hvac tech takes!! It's nothing!
Like I said anybody can become a real estate agent! I don't know if I would call them morons, but most all of them are crooks that just want your money!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate