Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 03:26 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,247,007 times

Advertisements

I also think #4 is the best option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 AM

2,606 posts, read 2,688,281 times
How small is the place? If it is good for you, how much more space could your fiancé need? Is there basement that can be finished to give her more space or any way to reinvent the existing house to give you more space.

It doesn't make sense to rent until you find a new place because house hunting takes long time & you will put yourself under pressure to find a new place. Better live where you are at and look for house slowly. 5 year plan might be too long, give it 1-3 years to find a new place.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:05 AM

15,242 posts, read 12,834,835 times
Hate to be a "me too" but I also think living in the current house is wisest.

The fun part of that is that the two of you will come up with a wish list of things you want in your next house -- and you know there will be a next house before long.

If you can keep the current house as a rental once you move, it's a real step towards building wealth. We did that when we bought a much bigger house 20 years ago. Now I'm remodeling the original house to put it on the market. I expect it to sell for just under $1 million.

Remember: Money gives you options. Sometimes it's the option to retire early, sometimes it's the freedom to stop working for the man and start your own business, whatever, but it's always better to have choices.

Best of luck and a happy marriage to you.

Old 06-15-2015, 11:15 AM

920 posts, read 924,683 times
I think you should live where you want. Life is short.

Start looking after she moves into the small house.

I wouldn't use my retirement $$ for anything though. I'd save that

Old 06-15-2015, 05:40 PM

7,670 posts, read 5,388,367 times
I would do everything possible to move out of the house where you are living as soon as you can, and either buy or rent something else that is larger and in a good neighborhood. I would not pay for a new house with cash, though I would not put less than 20% down, either. You can invest the rest if you know what you are doing. Under no circumstances would I touch any monies that are in a retirement account.

Right now most markets are still seller's markets, but that is likely to change sooner rather than later. You are likely to get a better price on the sale of your current home now (spring and summer are usually the best times to sell), even if you only do minor repairs to the roof unless you live somewhere with a very depressed market where no one wants to buy.

(Disclosure: I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where there are multiple offers on every home that comes onto the market, and we don't have to fix our roofs to sell, either.)

How soon do you plan to get married, and is it already a fixed date or is it possible to change the date, if it is already fixed?

Old 06-15-2015, 06:00 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,527,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojow View Post
I would probably stay in the house and take a year to settle into marriage. You can figure out where you really want to live. It's a lot to plan a wedding, get married and sell your house all at the same time.

I agree. Wait and see about your wife's job and decide on a location and price for a new home. Decide how soon you want to start your family, and how much driving you want to do. Also investigate any tax implications in your are regarding the sale of an owner occupied home vs a rental investment.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,097,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I agree. Wait and see about your wife's job and decide on a location and price for a new home. Decide how soon you want to start your family, and how much driving you want to do. Also investigate any tax implications in your are regarding the sale of an owner occupied home vs a rental investment.
Very good advice. You can take a big tax hit if the house you sell isn't your residence. Good luck, you are a planner, and responsible...really good values to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate