Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 06:34 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Why am I suspicious that there's more to this story. I can't help but wonder if the OP is a tenant and not the owner of the property. Or if they are noisy, diffucult neighbors. Or have more kids/pets than other town homes in the neighborhood. Or if they haven't been paying their HOA dues. . .

in any case, if your interactions with the HOA board has been tainted by the hostile communication style you've exhibited here, don't expect a lot of sympathy or cooperation from them. Calling somebody a "nazi" is pretty ugly.
I get the same feeling. It's the OP's HOA. Did they not go to meetings? Rules don't change by themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 07:06 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlking58 View Post
The lots in our neighborhood were about 1/2 acre, and because the people next door were loud, screaming-at-each-other types, we never cleaned out a small wooded area between the houses. We knew they worked on cars in the driveway a lot. But in the fall when all the leaves fell off the trees, I saw some large red objects in the woods on our property. I trudged over there to find...car doors, a car hood, and assorted engine parts scattered everywhere. He was making his own little junkyard between our houses!!! No way was I going to confront this screaming guy. I called the HOA, which contacted the city code enforcement department. The property was inspected, and they found entire engine blocks in the woods in back of the house in addition to all the stuff on my side. The owner was fined and given 5 days to have the stuff removed. He had to get a tow truck to come and pull the engine blocks out.

So you can see why I appreciate HOAs a little more than most.
You'd get the same effect in any neighborhood by contacting the municipal code enforcement officer. No HOA needed.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:07 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,583,226 times
Is a thing that hasn't been driven in 20 years and is inoperable...is it a car? A car is something that runs and is used for transportation. That's not what that thing in the garage is. Is a thing that doesn't float, a boat?

The OP isn't being a good neighbor. She has three parking spaces, and she uses one for storage of a thing that looks like a car, and used to be a car, but would need expensive work to make it run like a car. Because of that, she takes up a parking space in the parking lot, where she keeps an oversized car that runs but won't fit in her garage.

There's also the curious thing of someone keeping a huge, nonworking object that takes up half the space in their garage for 20 years.

I think the OP has been using the useless car in the garage as an excuse to get the parking lot spot for her oversized car that won't fit in the garage. The HOA either finally caught on, or finally decided to do something about it.

I think we all agree that HOAs suck. But in this case, they are doing the right thing, since space is an issue, and the OP is just using the thing in the garage as a trick to get three parking spaces.

There are people who would haul the inoperable car away, just for the parts. And some guys who work on cars would pay for it, since they could get it running for cheap. Do the right thing and sell the car. You don't need three parking spaces.

Next time you get a car, get a mid-size vehicle that will fit in smallish garages. Make sure it's good on gas, since have money issues. You might be able to trade your big vehicle for a used Honda CRV...they are very reliable, reasonable repair prices, and get decent gas mileage, besides being very comfortable and able to hold a ton of stuff.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:52 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,664,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlvancouver View Post
Read the OP - they are NOT telling him what he allowed to store in his garage.

The OP wants a permit to use the common property to park his car, that's the only issue with his garage. In order to get the permit (and use common property to park) he has to prove he's using his own garage to park actual usable cars (not storage). If he didn't want a permit, the HOA wouldn't care whether a non working car is in his garage.

No conspiracy here.
But even if he got rid of the stored car, he STILL couldn't fit the SUV in his garage -- which leaves him back to asking for a permit . . . so the stored car and the space it occupies is irrelevant.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:36 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,089,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
But even if he got rid of the stored car, he STILL couldn't fit the SUV in his garage -- which leaves him back to asking for a permit . . . so the stored car and the space it occupies is irrelevant.
That's my take on it, unless I am misreading the OP.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:53 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I think we can predict a "no" to that.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:14 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Just adding, I think it is pretty cool that the OP has kept this old car. If they/he/you have the money to do it, it would be fun to restore it. If not, find an old car enthusiast and make his day by offering to sell it to him. It is leading to a stress point in your life that you don't need, so make a decision and be done with it. You can even travel the country following your restored car to antique car shows. Lots of fun!
The problem is that from the sounds of it, it isn't a rare, valuable, or interesting car. It is just there because of sentimental inertia. Could be an old rusted out Pinto, Chrysler 'K' car, Chevy Citation, or anything. If it was a valuable collector car, the OP would probably have mentioned it.

Regardless, they are NEVER going to fix it up, have no extra money, and really have no interest in the car except seeing it rotting in the garage.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:19 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
The problem is that from the sounds of it, it isn't a rare, valuable, or interesting car. It is just there because of sentimental inertia. Could be an old rusted out Pinto, Chrysler 'K' car, Chevy Citation, or anything..
WHAT?????? My 1981 Chevy Citation isn't worth anything!?!??!? What about the 1980 Toyota Corolla Tercel hatchback????

Old 06-23-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
The idea that an HOA or any homeowner anywhere in the United States of America would think it was OK to have a by law that states an American flag is an eye sore is absurd! Unfriggin believeable!! really?
This makes perfect sense until you live next door to someone who flies 20 tattered, ragged 4' X 6' American flags all over their front yard 24/7, day and night, rain or shine. Or has them tacked to their siding.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
WHAT?????? My 1981 Chevy Citation isn't worth anything!?!??!? What about the 1980 Toyota Corolla Tercel hatchback????
If the Chevy is an '81 5 door with the 2.5L 'Iron Duke', it's a classic! Don't let anyone tell you different.

I was assuming a 1982...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate