Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 09:59 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,189,663 times

Advertisements

Sa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 10:02 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,201,999 times
Indeed, every one of those photos reinforces my dislike of crown molding.

Old 07-02-2015, 10:05 AM

21,408 posts, read 12,558,787 times
You "need" crown molding to impress future buyers. Not a day goes by on House Hunters that they don't ooh-and-ahh over the (cheap) crown molding!

Old 07-02-2015, 10:08 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,678,474 times
I have color fatigue right now. When we first moved to AZ all the builders were going crazy with "designer" colors for their models. We matched paint colors and lived with deep gold (gag me), red and rust for the 8 years we were in our first home here. I have a nice crème...very easy to live with and will not have any accent walls thankyouverymuch. My eyes just needed a rest I think.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:26 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,282,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You "need" crown molding to impress future buyers. Not a day goes by on House Hunters that they don't ooh-and-ahh over the (cheap) crown molding!
Even cheap crown molding costs more than no crown molding.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:38 AM

19,359 posts, read 27,567,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Very dependent on region. Hete in Raleigh, it's very popular and nearly a requirement in a house >250k. But in Phoenix or Sanata Fe, it's not so common. Just doesnt work well with those SW home styles.

Old 07-02-2015, 12:33 PM

13,436 posts, read 15,335,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Ugh, why would anyone want DARK brown walls in a room is beyond me, there's some houses here for sale that I saw on the web, they have some crazy garish paint colors on the bedroom and other room walls, lime green, purple,dark blue, one even has dark metallic looking splotchy walls with gloss black trim and doors!

Some samples;

dark green in a room that's already dark?

ugh... there's no other words

maybe a nice color for a tractor but a bedroom wall?

why does this look like a nightmare out of the 60s or an expensive bordello?

Here's the rear of a building I purchased in 2012 that had been used for an insurance office for years, dark seasick green paint in a rear space that had no windows??? you really have to wonder what people are thinking.

I repainted, took down a partition wall that was behind where I was shooting the photo from that had totally shut this area off from any external light, it was all fluorescent lamps. Up above the balcony there was a window that had been boarded over, it's since been replaced with a new double hung window/

Up near the front during renovating, after repainting the walls and tin ceiling, I used a pale ivory yellow flat wall paint, gave the cornice a Wedgewood green accent color, and the ceiling flat white. The fluorescents went bye bye and chandeliers similar to the one shown put in;
But that's what THEY liked and you bought it anyway. I personally would HATE "pale ivory yellow" flat paint. My present house is being repainted...and yes, I have a bright red room, and red accents throughout the house. I have dark blue accent walls. It's our house, we aren't selling it anytime soon. If people don't like it, they can repaint like we did.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:49 PM

15,630 posts, read 26,107,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
Even cheap crown molding costs more than no crown molding.
Yep -- and it depends on the ceiling. A flat ceiling, molding looks fine. My house from the 20's has picture molding, which doesn't go all the way up to the ceiling to accommodate hanging hooks for pictures to bot mess up the plaster walls.

But I know some one with vaulted ceilings that insisted on crown molding and it looks totally wrong, jarring...chops up the area...

Old 07-02-2015, 02:06 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,282,004 times
Some people would hate the house we're building. I had crown put it every.single.room. Bathrooms, laundry room, hallways. Only places with no crown are closets. And since our ceilings are 9 ft tall (flat ceilings, no vaults), we did 8" crown....nice & chunky! Tall baseboards as well. Chair rail with wainscoting in dining room; REAL wood shelving in pantry and closets. Coffered ceiling in master bedroom. Thick window casings all the way around. And I love it all! But it's a very traditional, southern home, so totally fits.

I agree that trim doesn't look the same on certain architecture styles. And yes, crown next to a vaulted ceiling is just....not right!

Old 07-02-2015, 02:26 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
Hahah - totally agree, but here it's even worse: All the developers have the contractors use about 3 shades of baby sh*t brown! Row after row of practically matching homes in the horrible "neutral" color. I'd give anything to even see a WHITE house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate