U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 08:29 AM

12 posts, read 28,092 times

Advertisements

If you lived in New England would you consider an attached 2 car garage a feature or an equity builder?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 08:56 AM

49,402 posts, read 35,654,225 times
It depends.

Some prefer vintage homes built well before garages were attached to the home.

What's the norm for your area?

Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 AM

15,634 posts, read 19,961,062 times
I consider them requirements.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:34 AM

12 posts, read 28,092 times
We consider them requirement, also.

The norm seems to be indifference. Houses without them are priced the same as those with. Our oversized, 2 car with steal beam in lieu of lolly columns did nothing for the salability of our home.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:44 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,783,328 times
Bought a house where the garage wasn't even priced into the home. Steel I beam 24X30 and well built! Well the house had 4 other bidders with a week on the market, so I figured I could go above ask factoring in the garage value to me.

Worked out well.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:14 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,620,747 times
I consider it a common sense requirement.

Who the heck wants to dig cars out of snowbanks in your driveway in winter if you don't have a garage. Or who wants to shovel or snow blow paths to detached garages all winter. Or who wants to carry packages & groceries into the home on rainy days from the driveway or detached garage.

An attached garage is a buyer preference in New England.

That said, the cost to build or replace a garage may not equal its value in the market. A garage which has a steel I beam may be an over improvement for the area and no one will care what it cost. That's where you've got to sit down and take a close look at what has sold recently in your area and try to make a determination as to what it is worth as part of the total home value ( not the garage's replacement cost )

Old 07-02-2015, 01:23 PM

6,065 posts, read 7,320,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needhome123 View Post
Our oversized, 2 car with steal beam in lieu of lolly columns did nothing for the salability of our home.
Is it possible it was too big and prominent? Once you get into more expensive areas, the garage is usually supposed to be hidden or minimized.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:45 PM

4,675 posts, read 8,003,102 times
New England???????? Attached garage.........it's a requirement as far as I am concerned. I have a detached and hate it with a passion. But at least I have one. Most people on my block do not have a garage at all.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:39 PM

6,178 posts, read 7,051,412 times
Try selling a comparable home with only a one car garage in that climate. You will find out REAL quickly how much value....if only the difference between salability and NO CHANCE...that the two car garage brings to the property.

Attached, or stand alone? Buyers preference.

Old 07-02-2015, 02:46 PM

16,242 posts, read 27,554,541 times
In my area on the coast in California, many of the newer homes here have a two car attached garage and a one car garage that may be attached or not. The two car garage more than likely faces the street and the one car garage is off to the side with the garage door positioned in such away that when you enter the drive way you would have to turn to the right or left, depending where it is located on your lot. If the single car garage is not attached then the area between the home and the smaller garage is usually a little courtyard.

In the past most homes came with 3 car garages, with a two car garage door and next to it a single car garage door. Our home was built in 1962 and back then most homes only had a 2 car garage. A mile away from where are home sits are homes that were built in the 1940's and many of those did not come with a garage. I am not sure if they were an option at the time. Many people built them in the back yard where they have an alley entrance. Homes from the 1950's on in our area did not have alley ways. Parking was in the front.

Saying all that, and realizing that in my area a garage is a prominent feature to a home, when you talk about a garage are you talking 2 car, 3 car, or more car? I know of larger estate type homes that do have larger garages. The biggest I saw was an 8 car garage with 4, two car garage doors in a row. That garage was built off to the side of the lot, not attached to the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or