Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 10:16 PM

50,800 posts, read 24,310,427 times

Advertisements

Getting ready to move again.

Is there any reason for me to keep documents about the last house I sold in another state 7 years ago?
And if so, what should be kept?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 10:49 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
I couldn't see any reason to keep mine past seven years. I guess the seven-year limit would be just in case there was a question from the IRS about capital gains.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:25 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,396,615 times
You could scan them onto a CD just to play it safe, but probably not much reason. I think I would just scan the closing packet and the settlement statement and the Deed.

Old 07-20-2015, 11:03 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
I have old house transaction docs dating back to the 1880's for my family.

I'm glad they didn't toss them!

Old 07-20-2015, 05:33 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
You could scan them onto a CD just to play it safe, but probably not much reason. I think I would just scan the closing packet and the settlement statement and the Deed.
What I would do is to scan them to my computer and email them to myself as attachments, that way you will always have them and you can access them from any computer and never lose them as long as long as your email is secure.

Old 07-21-2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
What I would do is to scan them to my computer and email them to myself as attachments, that way you will always have them and you can access them from any computer and never lose them as long as long as your email is secure.
I guess.....but in all my many sale transactions over the years, I've never had occasion to refer back to the documents for any reason....seems like a waste of time for 7+year documents.

I do, however, have the "showing binder" that one of my agents did for one home....it is fun to look back and see the photos of the house and interior.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:13 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
I keep everything related to my house purchases....come on, how much room do they really take up? Especially if you store them digitally.

Many years ago we owned a condo. Then we sold it. About 5 years after the sale I got a very nasty letter from the condo association all about stuff on the patio, an hibachi, etc. Look, I didn't even own it, but somehow that never went through their paperwork. All I had to do was copy the settlement statement and send it to them,this place doesn't belong to me!

Ok, if I didn't have the paperwork, guess I could have reproduced it somehow, but it would have required much time digging through old court records, etc, much easier to just have the papers handy, you never know when you might have to prove someone else's mistake.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I keep everything related to my house purchases....come on, how much room do they really take up? Especially if you store them digitally.

Many years ago we owned a condo. Then we sold it. About 5 years after the sale I got a very nasty letter from the condo association all about stuff on the patio, an hibachi, etc. Look, I didn't even own it, but somehow that never went through their paperwork. All I had to do was copy the settlement statement and send it to them,this place doesn't belong to me!

Ok, if I didn't have the paperwork, guess I could have reproduced it somehow, but it would have required much time digging through old court records, etc, much easier to just have the papers handy, you never know when you might have to prove someone else's mistake.
I would've just told them that I sold it on x date and leave it up to them to check the county tax records. That's ridiculous that you should have to prove it to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate