Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 02:54 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Advertisements

You're buying the house, not the cats. Assuming that they're well-behaved kitties (and most are) who haven't peed on the carpet (which you can replace), any odor and/or dander will be gone with the cats, and with a good cleaning.

No wonder it's taking so long for you to find a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 03:13 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
You're buying the house, not the cats. Assuming that they're well-behaved kitties (and most are) who haven't peed on the carpet (which you can replace), any odor and/or dander will be gone with the cats, and with a good cleaning.

I was trying to come up with something like this to say when I first saw her response a couple of hours ago, but you said it all much nicer than I could come up with.

There are always reasons why people aren't buying what they're seeing, and it's because their expectations don't match what they can afford. If they can't afford to replace a little carpet, how could they possibly afford it if the AC breaks or a hail storm comes in and destroys the roof...

Last edited by FalconheadWest; 07-24-2015 at 03:25 PM..

Old 07-25-2015, 09:56 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
To go back to my last post...

If you're highly allergic to cats, then let your agent know and cross off any homes that have cats in them now.

Wala, problem solved. And you don't have to post about those houses again.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:34 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,077,151 times
We have spent a year looking in the St. Louis area...in the county and outlying counties. Pretty exhausted and discouraged. Home prices in St. Louis county are ridiculous. Sometimes I can't believe we sold our TX house. I love Missouri weather MUCH better, but I guess real estate truly is local.
One thing that concerns me is how houses are flying off the market a day after their listed for OVER asking price. When even the realtor tells me she doesn't understand it, I have to wonder if we are in another bubble.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:59 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
well we put in an offer on one on Friday just keeping finger crossed . It had beautiful floors and this lady was a neat and clean freak too like me so we shall see if they accept the offer . It was late in the day and we shall know soon hopefully .

Old 07-26-2015, 05:06 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,271,240 times
My wife and I are only just looky-loos right now.

However we just want to live in a specific area, and our goal is to by the worst house on the block and make it our own.

Living in California there are no dream houses because with the influx of investors and flips you're just living in someone else's dream.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:57 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:

Yes, most people do have well behaved kitties and a good vacuuming would remove most of the dander and hair. I would think the homeowner would do that before closing.

BUT!!! If they aren't well behaved and have been peeing on the floor it sometimes takes more than replacing the carpet, you may have to replace the sub flooring too in order to get rid of the cat pee smell.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:26 AM

10,062 posts, read 7,229,638 times
I know how it feels. After a while they all start to look the same, you start to see "same problem, different house" or "same type of house, different problem" that makes them all unacceptable.

As someone else said - money usually solves all in this situation. The housing market is so heavily stratified by income class that if you're not finding anything you like, it's probably because you need to up your budget by 10-30% or more. If you don't change your price range you'll look at the same kinds of houses in the same neighborhoods over and over again.

Most likely, what you want exists, but not in your current price range.

Old 08-01-2015, 09:57 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,386,038 times
The solution for the infinitely picky person is to just build something or heavily renovate.

There are also people who are perpetually on the market. Often they view it as an investment or quasi-investment. They live in a perfectly fine house for the moment being. That's not the same as house hunting out of need.

It's like this:

Group A has a car that runs fine. They're friends with the salesman at John Johnson Motors and when some new models with the right options and 0% APR scheme come in, they come in for a test drive. They may buy now or in 5 years, but for their living situation it's not imperative.

Group B was driving to work yesterday and their transmission blew, the car was old and is not worth fixing. They have no transportation and need a car asap. Like someone who just moved to a new town for a new job needs a house.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:06 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
No, it doesn't make sense and yes, you are being picky.

It doesn't seem to me as though you really want to buy a house, based on the exaggerations and preferences you've stated in this thread ("Dated plumbing"? Seriously?). Anyone who really wants to buy a house should be able to do so in about six weeks; otherwise, your expectations don't match your budget.

Six weeks is not nearly long enough for some people because they want a home not just a house.
It has to be in the right area, it has to feel right, look right and have minimal adjustments.
It took us five years to purchase a home and I just found that home 2 weeks ago, made an offer, got a counter, made a counter it was accepted. We close this coming week and we just bought with cash a home on one acre for $33,000.00 in a small town on a dead end street.

It was worth the wait because we want to be out on property not crammed into some no character, cold, uninviting, house in a some congested neighborhood with no nature, no train whistles and no stars in the sky.

The home was on the market for 4 days when I found it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate