Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 10:14 PM

1 posts, read 593 times

Advertisements

I had a similar problem, with a selling agent. Due to flooding due to improper winterization by fm contractor, inspection rescheduled, told no problem and was told extension approved. Lowered my bid due to damage from flooding on original inspection date. Place was no longer "as is" due to fm improper winterization resulting in flooding. My lowered bid rejected and told timeline passed to bail and I lost my 10 % EM. Reported issue to listing agent's broker. Not even the courtesy of a response. Got zero help from realtors. Winterization contractor lied about amount of water, said no damage, despite two eyewitnesses, the building inspector and a civil engineer. Finally reported issue to inspector general over fm. https://www.fhfaoig.gov/ReportFraud
I did all my correspondence on email and in writing so I could substantiate everything. Don't take anyone's verbals! Got my EM back, no thanks to the realtors involved, but from the Feds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 06:19 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,899,404 times
Not all Fannie Properties are so AS-IS. We had a Fannie property in our neighborhood where Fannie put in a fair amount of money the bring it up to ACC standards.

Who in the heck was the OP's agent? Wait, let me guess - you were using the listing agent.

Old 09-04-2016, 08:16 AM

9,871 posts, read 14,107,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Not all Fannie Properties are so AS-IS. We had a Fannie property in our neighborhood where Fannie put in a fair amount of money the bring it up to ACC standards.
Just because they put money in the property doesn't mean it wasn't sold "as-is". "As-is" doesn't mean unlivable or even that it needs work. It only means the seller isn't willing to entertain other requests from the buyers.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:19 PM

117 posts, read 116,880 times
We're in an "AS IS" Fannie Mae mire right now as well. What continues to irk me thoroughly is that making it so difficult to buy such a home in in direct conflict with FM's mission. We only have one issue--plumbing--that we're trying to deal with, and the Selling Agent has been nothing but a huge headache who seems to only know one word-- "NO". If we didn't have our own agent as the go between, I know I would have given the woman in question quite a few choice words in ribald English by now.

We're now looking into strengthening our path via our RE lawyer, state realtors association as well as FM's complaint network, but it's slow going. We're only worried that eventually the Selling Agent will stretch this out far enough to find that investor she's looking for with their cash offer so she can stop having to deal with us. So far, so good, though.

I hope things go well and you get your earnest back. I wish the property we're trying to buy was a Homepath. It would have made everything so much easier.

Old 09-05-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLeftTheValley View Post
We're in an "AS IS" Fannie Mae mire right now as well. What continues to irk me thoroughly is that making it so difficult to buy such a home in in direct conflict with FM's mission. We only have one issue--plumbing--that we're trying to deal with, and the Selling Agent has been nothing but a huge headache who seems to only know one word-- "NO". If we didn't have our own agent as the go between, I know I would have given the woman in question quite a few choice words in ribald English by now.

We're now looking into strengthening our path via our RE lawyer, state realtors association as well as FM's complaint network, but it's slow going. We're only worried that eventually the Selling Agent will stretch this out far enough to find that investor she's looking for with their cash offer so she can stop having to deal with us. So far, so good, though.

I hope things go well and you get your earnest back. I wish the property we're trying to buy was a Homepath. It would have made everything so much easier.
You haven't explained the issue....you put an offer on an "as-is" property, and now want the seller to adjust the price or make modifications?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
You haven't explained the issue....you put an offer on an "as-is" property, and now want the seller to adjust the price or make modifications?
I didn't get into specifics because I didn't want to detract from the OP, only let them know that there are others with similar issues with AS-IS properties.

Yet since you seem curious...
Before we even had a chance to put our offer in, the Selling Agent sent a 14 page Sales Contract Addendum that essentially said, as our RE attorney put it (not a direct quote as my memory isn't that perfect): This means you can't learn anything about the property other than what you as the buyer can see with your eyes during a viewing, they won't disclose anything at all about it, and you are to have zero expectations as to repairs. This gives them every protection and you absolutely none. I wouldn't agree to this if I were you.

The problems for us started with the contradictions within that addendum. For instance, we were told that they would not turn on the electric or water, even though the electric was already on at the home, and it appeared the water was as well since it wasn't properly marked with the usual signs of a winterization. After we (through our agent) inquired about the water being on or not, she again said "No water". Our mortgage agent stressed that although we could do two assessments, one without water, and another with, it didn't make sense unless the Seller was willing to pay the cost, and ultimately the water would have to be turned on for the second assessment. Over time (which I'll get into at length below), it became evident that she's just riding out her time until she can get a buyer who will treat the place as a full rehab/tear down even though it really isn't at all or just pay cash only. We're not in a hot market, we're not in a tear down and build a McMansion market either.

One thing I think worth mentioning is that our Buying Agent had, some years ago, worked with this same Selling Agent on a property much like ours. What ultimately happened was the water was turned on, and FM had to pay for repairs so the mortgage would go through. In my limited knowledge opinion, she is trying to avoid that same circumstance again or that home was a Homepath, which this one for some reason, never was. Our agent couldn't recall if the other was or not.

Since then, the only bargaining issue we have had is regarding the water/plumbing. Keep in mind that we seem to be the only party interested in this property--and we have asked directly. It's not like they accepted our offer as in the OP's case because we still haven't made one. Once the selling agent sent that document, everyone on our side has been fixated on it, so we've been working with the one issue: water/plumbing.

This has been our progress since then:
- Inquired as to whether the water was already on since we had been told no electric and that was on. (I was kicking myself for neither of us trying the faucets at our first viewing, but it was our first home viewing ever, and we both assumed the other had.) Response, "No, it's been winterized".

- When we said there wasn't the usual signage present for winterization, so we were asking has it really been winterized, we were told, "Yes and it can't be undone."

- At this point, I had started researching what rights we had as buyers in an AS-IS state like MA is. I found that not only did we have a right to ask for the things we'd been asking to, but she had a responsibility to answer truthfully when we made specific disclosure requests. I also started learning how Fannie Mae acquires properties, how REOs have to have an assessment before putting them on the market, and how Fannie Mae in particular has a condition report that classifies the overall condition of the home. What didn't make sense is that I found a document with HUD requirements for homes in their possession, and the time period in which FM had the home, it was NOT within the window of when the HUD requires winterization. In fact, the document specifically says NOT to winterize within a certain time of year. Yet we thought perhaps the bank that had previously owned the home had done so, which would make sense since they got it in January of this year. I contacted FM on their complaint line, and the person I spoke with said we did have merit in our complaint, and promised to follow up. They were supposed to send me a follow up e-mail with our case # and we were supposed to get a call back from a rep who could help us. We got neither. (Had I known, I would not gotten off the phone before I got the e-mail.) When we told our agent that we contacted FM, he said it would best if we could work things out more amicably, which we saw the sense in, although our mortgage agent has been pressing us again of late to contact them again. This process of research has been ongoing, and overlaps with the following, but the timeline is in my head quicker than doing it more properly. (Laziness on my part at the moment.)

- When we inquired if the property could be un-winterized, tested, and re-winterized at our expense if we decided to walk, we were told, "No, your company will do it wrong and we'll be stuck with the issues."

- When we returned to the home for a second look (specifically at the plumbing), a few new signs had been put up and the toilet was closer in appearance to what one expects when winterization is done. This was a change from the first time--and less than two weeks later. We did note down the name of the company--which was done in the time frame the HUD said not to do so if the record we saw was correct and not fabricated. We then adjusted our question to ask if the above could be done where we would front the cost of re-winterizing using the same exact company. Response, "No."

- This was the point where I contacted our mortgage agent about what was going on and he was blown away at how this one issue had grown. At his recommendation we requested if it would be allowed for two assessments, as mentioned above, with the understanding that no repairs if issues were found would be expected or implied on the part of the lender. Response came back "no".

- At our mortgage agent's recommendation, we then requested if we could be given a written statement as to why the water could not be turned back on (disclosure). A response was not given until our agent made several requests, her answer, "No".

- Out of frustration, we asked how she expected us to buy the home if she was unwilling to disclose or allow water, response was "Get a 203K loan" (rehab). Could we get one? Yes. But it would ultimately cost us more, and we didn't need such, having adequate funds to take care of the now assumed needed repair/replacement.

- Found out on another forum that someone else had gotten a special waiver over the water, but the home they bought from FM was a total rehab, thus a different loan, and I could not find anything via the FM site about such regardless of loan type. When we inquired as to such, as well as if we could at least know the classification of the Property Condition Report, her response was, "I've never heard of such." This infuriated me because it's part of the FM Selling Agent documentation. How can she be an authorized FM seller, and never have heard of such?

- When I spoke to our agent again because he also had never heard of such, I sent him links to FM's site where the property disclosure reports and classifications are mentioned. He still pressed for further documentation. I asked him, "It's on her client's site. Do I need a certified letter from FM for Pete's sake? Why am I having to prove this is part of the woman's job?" He dropped the matter.

- When we replied that we had adequate funds to cover even replacing the entirety of the plumbing (the house is a 672 sq. ft. footprint and the kitchen/bath are right next to each other, laundry directly below--so not much cost at all), so we don't need a rehab loan, we just need a disclosure or allowed to test the plumbing, the response again was "no", and again the response came back only after several contacts from our agent.

- Our last effort was finding a plumber who said they could air pressure test the plumbing without harming the winterization, so we offered such. Again, with pressure from our agent, she finally answered, "no."

So that's where we are, almost a month after we first looked at the home. I've been waiting for the holiday to end so I can talk to our mortgage agent and see what to do next. I'm already assuming we'll be talking to our RE attorney again soon about some sort of "put up or shut up" paperwork. I'm annoyed that it's almost a month later and we still haven't put in an actual bid, but I understand why our side has wanted this matter cleared beforehand at the same time.

Last edited by LilyLeftTheValley; 09-05-2016 at 04:21 PM..

Old 09-05-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Before we even had a chance to put our offer in, the Selling Agent sent a 14 page Sales Contract Addendum that essentially said, as our RE attorney put it (not a direct quote as my memory isn't that perfect): This means you can't learn anything about the property other than what you as the buyer can see with your eyes during a viewing, they won't disclose anything at all about it, and you are to have zero expectations as to repairs. This gives them every protection and you absolutely none. I wouldn't agree to this if I were you.
I would have listened to your attorney...and then walked away.

You haven't even put a bid in on this house, so you have zero vested interest. Why do they have to agree to anything you ask for? It appears you have a difficult (and potentially unknowledgeable) agent selling the home. You're facing roadblocks at every step. You have the luxury to know this before you lock in any money.

I have no idea why you continue to press this. Walk away. Walk away.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:57 AM

8,673 posts, read 22,899,404 times
Quote:
Just because they put money in the property doesn't mean it wasn't sold "as-is". "As-is" doesn't mean unlivable or even that it needs work. It only means the seller isn't willing to entertain other requests from the buyers.
The home has been under contract now for over four weeks. Since the contract has been written, they've replaced all exterior doors, the roof, several windows, an entire fence, taken down two trees, and have repaired a grading issue. The OP sure could use an "as-is" contract like this. (None of this was in the MLS, but all requires ACC approval. They just came back seeking approval for the 4th item).

Old 09-06-2016, 06:02 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,921,438 times
Quote:

I am confused. You are trying to buy a FNM property that is not listed on Homepath?

I am with the above poster. Why waste all your effort if you don't even have a contract. Is it such a deal that that you can't pass up on? Foreclosure/Short sale/etc.. those are not the types of properties for first time buyers. Sure, plenty of first time buyer have been able to purchase them but not all buyers can.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:57 PM

Thank you both for your responses. I am going to be calling our agent tomorrow asking why we haven't put in a bid because both of your responses reinforced our concern over why we have not yet done so. We've been assuming once the water/plumbing issue arose that this was standard before I saw your responses.
Quote:
I would have listened to your attorney...and then walked away.

You haven't even put a bid in on this house, so you have zero vested interest. Why do they have to agree to anything you ask for? It appears you have a difficult (and potentially unknowledgeable) agent selling the home. You're facing roadblocks at every step. You have the luxury to know this before you lock in any money.

I have no idea why you continue to press this. Walk away. Walk away.
We've had our earnest money check sitting in our house paperwork folder for weeks because we thought we would be putting the bid in then. It's been driving me crazy as things have escalated because I feel that there's a chance the Selling Agent is not taking us seriously without the bid as well. At first our agent had said just do the bid and everything will sort itself out, but somehow instead all communication has been this back and forth over the water/plumbing due to the paperwork the Selling Agent sent instead of focusing on getting our bid to her. I still don't understand why she sent it before we even did our bid. The only thing I could come up with was she was trying to avert one round of counters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
I am confused. You are trying to buy a FNM property that is not listed on Homepath?

I am with the above poster. Why waste all your effort if you don't even have a contract. Is it such a deal that that you can't pass up on? Foreclosure/Short sale/etc.. those are not the types of properties for first time buyers. Sure, plenty of first time buyer have been able to purchase them but not all buyers can.
If it matters, FM bought the home from Wells Fargo, who had foreclosed on the previous owner. I can not say with certainty why it was never a Homepath, though I have guesses based on what I know of the program (such as the lack of kitchen appliances).

We are first time home buyers and we felt uncertain because once the Selling Agent sent the FM addendum, it was like everything had changed. Initially, our agent didn't forsee issues with us getting the loan we wanted because he had that similar experience in the past, and thought it would go the same where they would relent on the water issue and the sale would go through. As I mentioned above, somehow the bid itself got set aside once the addendum was given.

As to why this house...aside from the water issue, this house hit all our "wants". It is very difficult in this area to find a home here:
- at this price
- of this size
- of this age
- that still retains features a home of that era has
- with the acreage it has
- with the house to land ratio it has
- with the mature plantings that it has
- in the neighborhood that it is in
- in as good of shape as it is overall.

Aside from the interruption of typical home buying events with the reveal of the addendum, we love everything about this home and never thought of it as a turn key. As to the immediate upgrade (electric) and repair (plumbing) wanted/needed for move in, we have adequate funds to cover out of pocket and the home would still be a good buy at current listing. It's been one of the frustrations regarding the Selling Agent trying to insist we have to get the rehab loan instead.

We've been baffled over why what in our minds is not a big deal has redirected what was supposed to be a straightforward process to this cycle about water/plumbing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate