Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:39 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,597,261 times

Advertisements

Is there a way to search on any of the websites or MLS itself for a mother in law suite? Looking for a home with either of these options, but cannot seem to figure out how to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 05:55 AM

442 posts, read 593,191 times
Are you working with an agent? In the not-so-pretty but highly effective search parameters available to me in our MLS, for example, I can search for any phrase within both the agent and public remarks section. If I want to search in our MLS for it, I can just do: *double master* or *MIL suite* and find anything that includes those phrases. Often when they try to make MLS search sites user-friendly, they leave out the functional searches like that, unfortunately.

If you're working with a buyer's agent, they can perform a search like that in your area's MLS.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:36 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I don't think any of the popular public websites have that search parameter available. Every MLS is different as to how the public can use it and how agents can use it. Many have an auto-email ability to send you listings like these, but you need to ask an agent to set it up for you.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:43 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
I see you are in Charlotte NC. Go here Homes for Sale in Charlotte NC Charlotte Homes for Sale

and look at the keyword option tab- there you could put in mother in law or MIL suite

Old 07-28-2015, 06:54 AM

I am actually looking in the Tampa area, but yes I am currently in Charlotte. Thanks for the responses. I am not moving until next year but I do a lot of research, just kind of what I do. So I am looking around and trying to see if I can fit it in my budget.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:46 AM

536 posts, read 852,037 times
Many of the new homes built by AV Homes here in Kissimmee & Poinciana (about 50 miles east of Tampa, to the south of Orlando) offer dual master bedrooms, as well as in-law suites & attached casitas as an optional upgrade.

Sometimes they even come with small kitchenettes. Often the casita will consist of a small living room along with the bedroom & bathroom, often located in the front of the house, & sometimes including a separate front entry to the in-law suite, separate from the main front door.

These multi-generational homes are available in both age restricted 55+ retirement communities as well as nearby traditional family communities. My neighbor 2 doors away has exactly this type of layout, including the kitchenette.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerHarry View Post
Many of the new homes built by AV Homes here in Kissimmee & Poinciana (about 50 miles east of Tampa, to the south of Orlando) offer dual master bedrooms, as well as in-law suites & attached casitas as an optional upgrade.

Sometimes they even come with small kitchenettes. Often the casita will consist of a small living room along with the bedroom & bathroom, often located in the front of the house, & sometimes including a separate front entry to the in-law suite, separate from the main front door.

These multi-generational homes are available in both age restricted 55+ retirement communities as well as nearby traditional family communities. My neighbor 2 doors away has exactly this type of layout, including the kitchenette.
That would be perfect, except closer to Tampa. My mom is retiring and just needs somewhere to come home to every so often she is going to travel a lot.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:55 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Another option is to find 3 car garage homes and convert the one car part of the garage into an apt. That's what I see a lot in homes in FL since basement homes aren't common there. Especially if you aren't finding any with in law quarters/dual masters. Also if a home has both a living room and family room/bonus room, you can convert one into a bedroom for nomimal costs depending on the layout. I have seen that as well. Good luck, I had that same search as you here in NC, it was a headache!

Old 07-28-2015, 03:57 PM

Coming from FL originally I knew it wouldnt be easy I never saw them much down in South Florida. Anyone pm me a realtor in Tampa that maybe could send me listings?

Old 07-28-2015, 04:01 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post
Coming from FL originally I knew it wouldnt be easy I never saw them much down in South Florida. Anyone pm me a realtor in Tampa that maybe could send me listings?
In Miami? TONS of them. Near Tampa? Not so much. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate