Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 10:21 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,799,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliatenn View Post
HOA told me I can't have my cats being outdoor cats!!! Because they go on my neighbor yard (its 1 neighbor who is an old aggressive person hates animals). Now I have to make my outdoor cats only indoor!!! I dont know how can I legally fight this issue. Just want to get out this place.
When we were looking for a house I said to our realtor no HOA for us, but she kinda pressured us into looking those houses saying HOAs here are laid back etc... NEVER AGAIN!
If you told your realtor no HOAs and they still insisted that you look at them then that is a crappy realtor who is not listening to their clients and is being arrogant by thinking they know you better than you do. I know it is to late to dump your realtor,but you can still write a negative review and share your experience so others can be aware of this realtor's practices. As far as you having outside cats, I have already shared my opinion on that in your other thread......Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 07:13 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
My cats are indoor only, so they've never known and are - in fact - afraid of "outdoors," but forcing outdoor cats to live indoors is cruel; they never adjust once they've had a taste of freedom. Likewise, while I believe it's unreasonable for an HOA to ban *all* RVs, even tiny 18' ones that look like minivans, if they do, I'll have to consider a non-HOA option if I want to keep my van. So while HOAs may, on the face of it, have advantages, they're not for everyone in every circumstance... Unless or until those circumstances change, or the HOA does...

Old 08-23-2015, 07:46 AM

171 posts, read 197,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
My cats are indoor only, so they've never known and are - in fact - afraid of "outdoors," but forcing outdoor cats to live indoors is cruel; they never adjust once they've had a taste of freedom. Likewise, while I believe it's unreasonable for an HOA to ban *all* RVs, even tiny 18' ones that look like minivans, if they do, I'll have to consider a non-HOA option if I want to keep my van. So while HOAs may, on the face of it, have advantages, they're not for everyone in every circumstance... Unless or until those circumstances change, or the HOA does...
That's just not true. But, you may need to put in some effort to help them make the transition. You can't just close the door and ignore it if they're showing signs they want to go back out. What's cruel is not transitioning your cats from outdoor to indoor.

The Humane Society website backs this up, and provides some tips for making the transition.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:03 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Okay, so I only lived a couple of years with an HOA, so I don't have much experience. In the time I lived there, no issues affected me.

But I am wondering if some of the problems people cite come about as an issue with money? For example, if you are told your property needs better upkeep and you don't have the money to do it you would be upset. Or if there were special assessments because the road needed unexpected repairs, it would be difficult to decide where the money should come from (current owners or future owners). If an owner works in the trades having to do with home/property maintenance, it seems they get corralled into being the one to get quotes, watch over workmen, etc, etc, -- just what they thought they might avoid by living in an HOA. It is not always an easy task it seems for the HOA board.

To me the worst thing would be if the rules are changed while you are living there. Then you come in with one set of expectations and suddenly might find a lifestyle choice forced upon you. But I'm guessing that is rare. Understanding the rules ahead of time seems to be the key.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:18 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
When I first bought into the HOA, there were only a few pages of rules. Most seemed reasonable to me. This was years ago, and we only got the HOA CCrs & Bylaws literally at the closing table. I was only in my 20's and naive and there were far fewer laws then than now to protect homeowners. I thought we were paying assessments for the pool, tennis courts, walking paths, and common areas. I was totally fine with that.

BTW, in my area, the only ones who have legal access to HOA info (including financials and rules) are property owners. This is significant because if you are a potential buyer, you have to ask the seller for all of that info and hope they give it to you b/c legally they do not have to until you are at closing and buying the property.

Yes, the rules do change as long as the HOA follows the bylaws to change them. After I moved in, the new Board decided to change CCRs to include annual inspections of houses. The property management company hired by the Board does the inspections. If they find infractions, the property management company can fine you (as long as Board approves) and the property management company, NOT the HOA gets the fines.

Another thing, if your HOA hires a property managment company (most do in my area), good luck. There are no requirements or oversights in my area for these sham companies. Homeowners can't even force them to abide by HOA rules unless you sue them in court. Our property management company routinely writes up homeowners up for non existent violations. It is PITA fighting the board, especially if they have a relationship with a property management company.

We've also had the HOA send us letters for required maintenance, like replacing the roof. Guess its a coincidence that one of the Board member's had a roofer for a brother. Fortunately, we were able to win that fight.

While I'm on that subject, it is imperative to see what the HOA can require you to do. Mine can now require me to replace my roof (and this is on a single famly home) if they think it doesn't look pretty enough even if it is still sound, re-pave my driveway, etc.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Okay, so I only lived a couple of years with an HOA, so I don't have much experience. In the time I lived there, no issues affected me.

But I am wondering if some of the problems people cite come about as an issue with money? For example, if you are told your property needs better upkeep and you don't have the money to do it you would be upset. Or if there were special assessments because the road needed unexpected repairs, it would be difficult to decide where the money should come from (current owners or future owners). If an owner works in the trades having to do with home/property maintenance, it seems they get corralled into being the one to get quotes, watch over workmen, etc, etc, -- just what they thought they might avoid by living in an HOA. It is not always an easy task it seems for the HOA board.

To me the worst thing would be if the rules are changed while you are living there. Then you come in with one set of expectations and suddenly might find a lifestyle choice forced upon you. But I'm guessing that is rare. Understanding the rules ahead of time seems to be the key.
So you might have to pay special assessments if the road needs repairs? I was under the assumption that property taxes covered things like road upkeep, keeping the street lights working and the sewer operational etc....since the HOA is covering this then you must be getting a great discount on your property taxes.......right?

Old 08-26-2015, 03:30 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
So how do I avoid them if I want to live "right on the water," as they say on Beachfront Bargain Hunters?

Old 08-27-2015, 09:47 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Another HOA strikes again.

So, I was about to put my house up for sale...literally the next day. Had the move all planned out. Semi-packed.

At the last minute I called the HOA in charge of one of the retirement communities west of Phoenix. I nicely asked if a parrot was acceptable as a pet in their development. The first response was "no birds". I expressed my surprise. The second response was "maybe". So I asked for a definitive yes or no, and was refused. I asked who was the person would make the actual decision, and the lady said that actually she was. So I asked for a definitive decision and was flatly received. Essentially I was told I would just have to buy a house and find out at closing.

I can't tell you how angry I am. Just fuming.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Another HOA strikes again.

So, I was about to put my house up for sale...literally the next day. Had the move all planned out. Semi-packed.

At the last minute I called the HOA in charge of one of the retirement communities west of Phoenix. I nicely asked if a parrot was acceptable as a pet in their development. The first response was "no birds". I expressed my surprise. The second response was "maybe". So I asked for a definitive yes or no, and was refused. I asked who was the person would make the actual decision, and the lady said that actually she was. So I asked for a definitive decision and was flatly received. Essentially I was told I would just have to buy a house and find out at closing.

I can't tell you how angry I am. Just fuming.
So do you see this as a sign of more fun to come? Do you still plan to go with an HOA in order to have a
"Uniform" living experience that protects your "property value"? I can only see trouble ahead if they are already hemming and hawing over a parrot!

Old 08-28-2015, 12:50 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
No, the move is off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate