U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 08:14 AM

2,766 posts, read 3,396,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Seems like your close lorriem. Mutliple showings in a short amount of time is a good sign. As you know though there are a ton of houses just like yours in your market. Buyers (the ones that are qualified) are being extremely picky as you can tell...its like that everywhere.

Keep the faith....
Thanks CouponJack for some hope and I am trying to Keep the faith. The plus not having this house sold yet is when we move next week to NC we have a place to stay when we have to come down here for hubbies doctors appt's plus we will still be residents of FL and no state income taxes so our accountant says.Plus hubby will be coming down here for a week every 4 -6 weeks for work to hold some meetings instead of conferance calls like he will be doing the rest of the time. I still would like to get this sale overwith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 PM

94 posts, read 215,340 times
we have been on the market for 10 mo in fl we had to leave for a job in sc although short term has been a financial burden ...long term things will be better....higher pay and lower cost of living ....we have had a lot of activity since the holidays w/ positive comments ...we put some more work into the house before the holidays and have greatly reduced ......we are the largest at the range ..... so we pray something breaks our way real soon ..... good luck to everyone

Old 02-15-2008, 07:58 PM

2,766 posts, read 3,396,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadofTwo View Post
we have been on the market for 10 mo in fl we had to leave for a job in sc although short term has been a financial burden ...long term things will be better....higher pay and lower cost of living ....we have had a lot of activity since the holidays w/ positive comments ...we put some more work into the house before the holidays and have greatly reduced ......we are the largest at the range ..... so we pray something breaks our way real soon ..... good luck to everyone
Good Luck to you also. We had this happen to us in the late 70's when we moved to Ca and the state we were moving from was FL. We were so young and this little thing like not being able to sell our FL home and buying a home in CA didn't faze us at all. Oh to be young again. We never had two homes again because we could always sell first but we made the mistake of moving to FL and regretted it so here we are almost 30 years older owning two homes again and FL I am sure once again is the cause. Live and learn not us.
You are right the market is getting better so it seems. More showings. tonight we got a call from a realtor asking to show our house tonight. She called back a few min later and said she had to make it for tomorrow. The husband was working late.
Once again good luck.

Old 02-16-2008, 02:55 PM

12 posts, read 20,780 times
We are west of Chicago and have had our house on the market since Nov. because we are relocating with a job to TX. We've only had one showing right before Christmas. We have lowered our price from $495K to $484,900K, to $475K. The relo co. is offering us....(gulp)....$432K!!!! OUCH. We aren't sure what we are going to do. We may lower it again to $450 and see if it will sell in the next 30 days. The markets are soooo terrible right now and people are losing everything. We wouldn't be moving if we didn't have to.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:15 AM

51 posts, read 95,006 times
We have been on the market for about 50 days. We've had two showings, both to the same person. I made sure the house looked spectacular and squeaky clean both times he came. He stayed for quite a long time both times and asked lots of questions according to my realtor. Now, we think he may be drifting away because he made a comment about wanting a master bedroom on the main floor. Out of my control.

Will keep thinking positively!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:26 AM

3,832 posts, read 7,733,522 times
Ok maybe this is a silly question.

Can I just go buy another house and call my bank and tell them they can have my house if they want it?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:48 AM

9,047 posts, read 7,887,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
Ok maybe this is a silly question.

Can I just go buy another house and call my bank and tell them they can have my house if they want it?
Depends on the state your current house is in. Are you in a non-recourse state? If not, then you might have to hide your assets by dumping them into your IRA/401k, withdrawing your funds and holding dollars, purchasing physical gold, or some other method to avoid having them taken away in a judgment. Still, they could technically garnish your wages in lieu of re-possessing assets. Not an accountant and wouldn't recommend this course of action unless you have absolutely no other means to proceed.

Also consider a short sale if it can apply to you.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 AM

I was just kidding really but man when you're in my shoes it just makes you P.O.'d enough to call the bank and tell them they can have the SOB.

I have never defaulted on anything in my life and I don't plan to. Sometimes I just feel like I was suckered into buying a house as a "good investment" (as it was presented to me). We should have never moved out of our appartment. It was a better investment than our house has shown to be. We bought it for 'X' dollars brand new and today it's worth 'X' * 0.9. Well maybe it's not that bad but it could be. If we priced our house to sell quick we could lose that much.

You know what it reminds me of? When you buy a new car and drive it off the lot it's automatically worth thousands less. But when you buy a new car you know that's going to happen. We would have never in our lives thought the same thing would happen with our house.

I mean is this a sign of things to come. You buy a house and expect to lose money on it?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,493 posts, read 11,309,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
I was just kidding really but man when you're in my shoes it just makes you P.O.'d enough to call the bank and tell them they can have the SOB.

I have never defaulted on anything in my life and I don't plan to. Sometimes I just feel like I was suckered into buying a house as a "good investment" (as it was presented to me). We should have never moved out of our appartment. It was a better investment than our house has shown to be. We bought it for 'X' dollars brand new and today it's worth 'X' * 0.9. Well maybe it's not that bad but it could be. If we priced our house to sell quick we could lose that much.

You know what it reminds me of? When you buy a new car and drive it off the lot it's automatically worth thousands less. But when you buy a new car you know that's going to happen. We would have never in our lives thought the same thing would happen with our house.

I mean is this a sign of things to come. You buy a house and expect to lose money on it?
If you bought within the last 3 years or so then yes, for the present time you can expect to lose money. The upside is this should change in time, maybe a year maybe 5 but it will eventually go up, it always has. Patience is the word of the day.

Old 02-19-2008, 01:22 PM

I wish I didn't have to sell right now but I have to move for work. I bought the house 5 years ago. It's been a good house and we've done a lot of painting and stuff to make it look nice. And added gutters all the way around. The estimated value hasn't moved. And with the market the way it is in my general area it's actually lost value because my stupid neighbors keep selling their houses off so cheap. I realize that's their perogative but they are screwing themselves and me in the process. I've got a neighbor right now that's selling theirs off cheeeeeaaaaap to get rid of it. And it's about the same size and age as my house. That's perfect. How can I compete with someone who is commiting financial suicide so willingly. They're going to sell their house pretty quick and it'll be on the records so every other buyer that comes along will see it and say "why should I pay this for your house when the house down the street sold for so much less?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate