Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 12:09 AM

24 posts, read 22,922 times

Advertisements

hello, please let me explained, i am chinese, and in my chinese culture, being filial to elder mother is very important. mother birth us, raised us, feed us. now at her old age, we want to buy a home for her so she don't have to worried about paying rent each month.

we are in a position where we have enough money to buy a small house to let our elder mother live for free.
and I have a question, since this is our first time buy a house.
please understand that chinese like to pay things in cash, so we trying to pay for this house in cash as much as we can.

- we both are U.S citizens
- we both have perfect credit scores, debt-free, never have any debt in our lives.
- husband is working 2 jobs and is decent pay. he have decent amount of money in his saving account in cash.
- we plan to pay for the small house as much as we can in cash, perhaps more than 50% to 60% house down-payment.
- i work 1 job, i make less than DH but I still have money in saving account to help with the down-payment.
- we have 3 jobs total, we are SURE we make enough to pay mortgage every month for the house we purchase.

DH his mother is old, the only family member he have left.
we both want to fufill filial and want her to have a place to live for free, so she doesn't have to worried about paying rent.
so we plan to buy a small house for her under my husband name, his name will be on the mortage and deed.
if one day she passed away in old age, the house still under his name, he have full control over it.

This is our first time buy a house. And we want to buy a house and elder mother live there FREE, as long as we pay 50%-60% down-payment and monthly mortgage. LEGALLY we can let our mother live there for free if we want right?

My question is can we do that? Can the house be under my husband name and let his mom live there for free?
Me and my husband won't be live there, we have our own rent place.
Yes ,we make enough to pay for our rent monthly, and as well as pay for monthly mortgage on this small house for his mother. We want her to live comfy.

And please I understand the logic of we should care for ourselves above all. But please I don't need any lecture that we should get a house for ourselves first, we don't want to!
It our money and we spend it as we see fit, and get a house for older mother is our priority.
We don't need a house, we don't have any kids.

Legally can my husband buy a house under his name and let his mother live there for free, eventhough he not living there? is that okay? ofcourse we will pay mortgage on time every month, and pay down-payment as much as we can.
Nope, we not rich. But his 2 jobs are very stable, I have 1 job. With 3 jobs we confident we can pay the mortgage on time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:20 AM

983 posts, read 1,181,109 times
It will be your house to do with as you please.

You can live in it. Mother can live in it or you you can let is sit empty for 30 yrs if you choose.

Its a free country ... America - ain't it great ?

Old 08-12-2015, 12:35 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestaircase View Post
hello, please let me explained, i am chinese, and in my chinese culture, being filial to elder mother is very important. mother birth us, raised us, feed us. now at her old age, we want to buy a home for her so she don't have to worried about paying rent each month.

we are in a position where we have enough money to buy a small house to let our elder mother live for free.
and I have a question, since this is our first time buy a house.
please understand that chinese like to pay things in cash, so we trying to pay for this house in cash as much as we can.

- we both are U.S citizens
- we both have perfect credit scores, debt-free, never have any debt in our lives.
- husband is working 2 jobs and is decent pay. he have decent amount of money in his saving account in cash.
- we plan to pay for the small house as much as we can in cash, perhaps more than 50% to 60% house down-payment.
- i work 1 job, i make less than DH but I still have money in saving account to help with the down-payment.
- we have 3 jobs total, we are SURE we make enough to pay mortgage every month for the house we purchase.

DH his mother is old, the only family member he have left.
we both want to fufill filial and want her to have a place to live for free, so she doesn't have to worried about paying rent.
so we plan to buy a small house for her under my husband name, his name will be on the mortage and deed.
if one day she passed away in old age, the house still under his name, he have full control over it.

This is our first time buy a house. And we want to buy a house and elder mother live there FREE, as long as we pay 50%-60% down-payment and monthly mortgage. LEGALLY we can let our mother live there for free if we want right?

My question is can we do that? Can the house be under my husband name and let his mom live there for free?
Me and my husband won't be live there, we have our own rent place.
Yes ,we make enough to pay for our rent monthly, and as well as pay for monthly mortgage on this small house for his mother. We want her to live comfy.

And please I understand the logic of we should care for ourselves above all. But please I don't need any lecture that we should get a house for ourselves first, we don't want to!
It our money and we spend it as we see fit, and get a house for older mother is our priority.
We don't need a house, we don't have any kids.

Legally can my husband buy a house under his name and let his mother live there for free, eventhough he not living there? is that okay? ofcourse we will pay mortgage on time every month, and pay down-payment as much as we can.
Nope, we not rich. But his 2 jobs are very stable, I have 1 job. With 3 jobs we confident we can pay the mortgage on time.
YES, your husband can buy the house and let his mother live there, it matters NOT who lives in a house an owner owns, you can live there, your family can live, friends can live there, relatives can live there, any one can live there, for free, or you can rent it out. And his mother can live there rent free, but HE MUST pay the taxes on it!

Just food for thought:

BUT, DID YOU KNOW? Here in AMERICA, YOU AND your husband can BOTH OWN THE HOUSE for his mother to live in? Women ARE considered EQUALS HERE {mostly}, particularly if married? IF you divorce, YOU Are entitled {in most states} to HALF THE VALUE OF THE HOUSE? Whether it is in his name solely or not. Whether HE paid for it or not? Whether his mother lives in it or not? His money earned in the marriage is community property? {unless he had the money BEFORE the marriage, then he may be able to keep it after the divorce in some cases}

It's called "community property" to a marriage. What a WONDERFUL country, isn't it?

Old 08-12-2015, 12:45 AM

Thank you sir StrkAliteN for answer me.
I just want to make sure that LEGLALY I'm not geting in trouble with the law if the house is under my husband name, and his old mother is live there for FREE. Afterall, it is his birth mother, she birth him and raised him.

I know alot of people look at us funny like why don't we buy a house for ourselves first, before buy it for old mother. But the thing is we don't have any kids, we don't see the need must have a house for ourselves.
we both think that our mind will be much at ease, if we know older mother have a permanent place to stay without worry about paying rent, so she can enjoy her old age,

plus old mother she have some kidney health problem, so if we can, we don't want her to worried about work and pay rent.
i dunno, maybe the chinese culture is difference. but this is really something we want to do for old mother.

Thank you galaxyhi,
sure, I can have both my husband name and my name on the deed and mortgage. Since I will be putting in my saving to help wtih the down-payment, and I will help him with paying the monthly mortgage.
Husband work 2 jobs, I work 1 job. So he will be paying 2/3 of mortage, and I will help pay 1/3 of mortgage, no problem.

ofcourse we will have all taxes, and pay monthly mortgage on time until we pay it alll off.
we plan to put in cash for down-payment as much as we can, so we have less mortgage, and the house will be pay off faster for old mother.
Chinese see our mother in-law as our own mother. I don't have any problem help out my mother in-law.

But i know what you mean, I will have my name on the mortgage and deed. I just want to make sure that legally it is okay for us NOT live there, and let our old mother live there.
Sure it our house, so we go there to stay and visit if we want. But mainly it for mother to live in, you know what I mean?

so as long as we pay monthly mortgage, down-payment, all taxes. then legally by law our old mother can live there right? she will be the primary person live there, we will pay for all of mortage, bills and all house expense.
I just don't want to get in trouble with the law like, why it your house but you don't live there and you let your old mom live there for free

Old 08-12-2015, 01:00 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times
If you are going to buy a house for your mother-in-law, I wouldn't buy one too small.

Someday, she may not be capable of living alone and you might like the option of being able to move in with her to care for her.

You might want to keep that in mind when choosing a home for her.

Old 08-12-2015, 03:28 AM

Thank you, we thinking of buy like a two story home with lower level apartment type.
that way we can live with MIL to take care of her. Or she can live for free on her own.
we just want her to relax and not have to worried about rent.

If one day she passed away of old age, (we all know our mother can't live with us forever, nobody is immortal)
the house is still our since it under are name.
Would a two story home with lower level apartment better for us? Or just buy a decent size house is okay?

My husband, his father decease when he was little, his mom raised him by herself.
She work hard labor jobs to raised him, I know she tired, she sacrifice. Maybe because she work hard labor jobs in her younger days, now in old age she have kidney health problems.
It nothing major, but her kidney is not in perfect health like other normal people.

My Chinese parents already have their own house, they doing quite okay. So my parents are set, I don't have much to worried for my parents because my parents have their own house, they doing well.

It is my Mother in-law that I'm worried about, because MIL she poor all her life, I don't want to see her keep living like this till she died.

My husband work alot, he works 2 jobs everyday. His working hours is long, 2 full time jobs hours. All he have time for is eat, shower and get some sleep and repeat work again.
We both agree this is how our lives going to be for a while, so we can have enough money for house down-payment and pay off mortgage as fast as we can.. then we can begin to think about ourselves.

Yes, Chinese are weird, we want to buy a house and pay in cash as much as we can.
DH have been working his butt off for that. He works overnight if needed to faster make more money for house down-payment.
We don't even spend anything for ourselves, all our working money is to pay Rent/Bills and all go to our saving.

Thank you all for understanding and advice.

I'M SORRY if my original post sound too harsh, it just the cultural difference, and we just want to take care of our mother first.
Everytime I try to say that I want to buy a house for old mother first, and I keep get attack that why don't you buy a house for yourself first, put yourself above all, kindda thing..

Last edited by thestaircase; 08-12-2015 at 03:43 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 03:33 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
I read all that you wrote and I agree with the others that your plan is perfectly legal so please don't worry at all about that. I gather that you are paying rent now. I have to believe that you could find a home where both you and your MIL could live under one roof, perhaps a duplex, where the one mortgage payment would be less than what you will pay in rent for you and the mortgage for your MIL. In other words, it might cost less money per month to buy a place where all three can live than the amount you will be paying out each month under your plan. Plus, there are potential tax benefits to doing it that way. Of course, this assumes that you are all living in the same part of the country. Your MIL is fortunate to have such a devoted family. I think there's too little of that these days.

Edit: sorry...I type too slowly and I see now that you've already thought this thru!

Old 08-12-2015, 04:04 AM

Thank you Mr. bbronston,
yes, right now we pay rent in a cheap rent area neighborhood. The cheap rent here does help us save up more money each month goes toward buy our first home. we been saving up for our house down-payment.

I'm sorry if my post is hard to read, English is my third language,
Yes duplex, that what it call right? I called it two story home with lower level apartment, lol my poor English, I'm sorry

But isn't duplex expensive? That means my husband have to work his butt off even more, to pay off the mortgage. We just trying our best to aim at least 50% house down-payment, so we can pay off mortage faster.

Thank for your nice word sir,
All my husband have left now is his mother and me.
His mom birth him at the later age in life too, and his dad deceased when he little, so she raised him on her own, it wasn't easy for her.
With MIL now in older age she having some kindney health problems. I can't just leave MIL like that and go live comfy in a house all to ourselves, when I know MIL alone renting outside.. I'm sorry but I can't do that. I just can't, my heart won't let me.

I'm 30, my husband is 29, so we still have time to enjoy ourselves. I mean we not young anymore, but it not like we going to died soon.
Me and him have been putting our lives on hold, all we know now is work to save up money as fast as we can for this house.

We been saving up okay, so we doing not bad. It just that my husband have to work 2 full time jobs. We started out poor, go through all the hard time, we make it through. All our sacrifice will be worth if if we can buy this house for MIL to live.
Then I can put my mind at ease and think about have a baby. My husband wants a baby.

a question may I ask, it is worth it to buy a Foreclosured house because it cheaper? But isn't foreclosured house would need alot of fixing to do? uh.. we probably better off just buy it normally right?

Last edited by thestaircase; 08-12-2015 at 05:23 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 04:41 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Duplex refers to a structure with two separate and distinct living quarters. It can be side-by-side or two levels (or both). Many people buy them so they have a place to live and a place to rent out so someone else pays for some or most of the mortgage. I know that won't be the case with you but it might be down the road.

A foreclosed or bank-owned property only refers to a property that is....well, for sale by a "bank". That includes all kinds of properties, including those that are in miserable shape and those that are in great shape. Of course, the ones in miserable shape are the ones that cost less. If you are capable of doing all or most of the work yourself, the ones that are a mess can be a good way to go but I get the feeling that is not your best bet. I think, at this point, I would suggest finding an agent who knows your area well and start a conversation. Agents can guide you through all of this and make the process less stressful. If you can find one who speaks your native language, that might help avoid any confusions that could arise from translation issues.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:13 AM

Thank you sir bbronston, your soooooo nice. I will follow your advice, and find an agent who speak Chinese so I don't get confuse. I'm easily confuse, and this is first time we try buy a home too.

Thank you sir for help someone with English is their third language like me. thank you for understand my Chinese culture too. I know I sound like a weirdo, lol

One last question, I want to ask.
Do you think it better if the duplex deed and mortgage, is under both me & my husband name? Or would it be better for it to be under his name only? Since he make more income.

He works 2 jobs, so he make more than me.
I work 1 job.
But we will use his saving as well as my saving both together, to pay for the house down-payment.

Right now we live in a cheap rent neighborhood, we take turn paying rent. I pay this month rent, he pay next month rent. I pay August rent, he pay September rent.
But this is cheap rent neighborhood, so I can afford do it with my 1 job salary.

BUT if we buy the duplex, I don't think I can afford to keep the: I pay this month mortgage, he pay next month mortgage. Becasue the mortgage will be expensive.
So we gonna have to do it by income, which he work more so he pay 2/3 mortgage, I pay 1/3 mortgage.

I trust him, he is my husband. I trust him that he won't kick me out of the house, abandon me-his wife. So I'm fine if the house is under his name only.

Do you recommended both husband and wife on the house name?
thank you for your advice sir, I will follow your advice.

Last edited by thestaircase; 08-12-2015 at 05:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate