Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 11:14 AM

4,268 posts, read 6,277,151 times

Advertisements

Not in my area. Houses are selling in under a week - sometimes in a day or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 01:05 PM

21,716 posts, read 12,783,839 times
It's certainly possible to sell a house yourself... Just use your attorney for closing, or you can even hire certain realtors just to process the paperwork and ensure that all goes smoothly after you've found a buyer and sealed the deal, but many of us aren't comfortable admitting strangers to our homes in this day and age.

Now, why anyone needs a "buyer's agent" is beyond me; you can do your search online for available houses and contact either the seller or the seller's agent for a showing. Just don't let them mow you down when it comes to inspections, add-ons, and price.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:06 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,723,300 times
Here is a good article on Orange County and area on housing sales in April.

Homes selling slower in Southern California. A sign of stability? - LA Times

However, it does not indicate (nor does it now), that it is becoming a buyers market. All it indicates is that the red hot market has smoothed out to a more normal market. It is a long way from a buyers market, just normalizing. Prices are stabilizing. The time on market, is still reasonably short, definitely not a buyers market.

Old 08-14-2015, 02:19 PM

983 posts, read 1,175,976 times
Has been a very solid sellers market around Seattle for the past couple years.

And it is not showing any signs of slowing down.

Old 08-14-2015, 05:48 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,232,118 times
I'm guessing all the californians are hitting the exit doors as quickly as possible. A CD poster once said "CA is ruined" and it appears to be the case especially with the never ending drought.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:58 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,853,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger256 View Post
I'm guessing all the californians are hitting the exit doors as quickly as possible. A CD poster once said "CA is ruined" and it appears to be the case especially with the never ending drought.
Haha, yep we are all doomed and leaving this God forsaken, "ruined" (because, you know, when a CD poster exclaims...) place as soon as possible - NOT!

It's as close to paradise for more than a few of us and when cottages next door to me are selling for over a million in a couple of days - (and no, I'm not right on the coast) I would hardly say that the consensus is that the state is ruined, the drought is endless and there is no hope in the future for this economic powerhouse.

Old 08-18-2015, 04:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,232,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Haha, yep we are all doomed and leaving this God forsaken, "ruined" (because, you know, when a CD poster exclaims...) place as soon as possible - NOT!

It's as close to paradise for more than a few of us and when cottages next door to me are selling for over a million in a couple of days - (and no, I'm not right on the coast) I would hardly say that the consensus is that the state is ruined, the drought is endless and there is no hope in the future for this economic powerhouse.
T. Damon, I know my post sounded very lopsided against Ca, but I loved it when I did the college tour with my daughter last October.

I hope to return again with my wife to do the highway 1 from LA to san francisco. Paradise is not a misrepresentation, however from a cost of living perspective, it's getting crazy in the desirable places for sure.

<exaggeration>
There's a traffic jam of ex-californians queued up on the one lane highway into Arkansas with their wordly belongings strapped to their BMWs and Teslas because they can snap up houses for half a million that would cost them 3 million in Ca and this frenzy is driving up the real estate prices every year.
</exaggeration>

Old 08-19-2015, 02:31 PM

453 posts, read 528,669 times
CT has been a buyers market since the recession. Home prices remain at 2009-2010 lows. Houses get multiple price cuts and stay on the market for several months, on average, if not longer, as many owners try to resell for what they paid in 2006-2007. The lone exception is the handful of towns closest to NYC, but metro Hartford especially is very stagnant.

Old 08-19-2015, 03:00 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,904,566 times
My area is interesting in that the houses are selling fairly quickly only if they are move in ready (cosmetically-speaking) and the seller helps with closing.

I've been paying careful attention as I plan to list in a year or two and, from what I see, if the house is freshly painted and has vinyl, good-condition hardwood flooring, or even polished or painted concrete (carpet is definitely on it's way out--even if it's new and laminate is not a favorite, either); has white cabinetry or dark cabinetry in the kitchen, it goes pretty fast.

Interesting in my area because it is an extremely tight rental market. This means rent is way more than a mortgage which means buyers are having a hard time coming up with cash. Most are asking for help with closing costs. It's getting crazy in that sellers are getting their asking price, but having to part with $5000-$10,000 in closing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate